European Cups 2017/18

General sports news and discussions.
BobHelm
udonmap.com

Re: European Cups 2017/18

Post by BobHelm » February 23, 2018, 7:43 am

score.png
score 1.png
The Gunners almost made a hash of it. 2 zip down at home at half time. They improved after the break but will have to improve (or get another good draw) to progress farther.. :D
Elsewhere in the British sides... Celtic lived up to European expectations and got a hammering in Russia.
No real shocks, although a couple of the lesser Spanish sides perished...

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 24, 2018, 2:51 pm

Europa League last-16 draw in full:

Lazio v Dynamo Kiev
RB Leipzig v Zenit St Petersburg
Atletico Madrid v Lokomotiv Moscow
CSKA Moscow v Lyon
Marseille v Athletic Bilbao
Sporting Lisbon v Viktoria Plzen
Borussia Dortmund v Red Bull Salzburg
AC Milan v Arsenal
Bit of a tough draw for the Gunners, but at least the have home advantage in the second leg rather than being away..

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 28, 2018, 1:28 pm

Some changes to the European competitions from 2018/19 on.

Read full details here:
https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleagu ... 99801.html#/

As far as I can make out the main changes for English clubs in the Champions League are..
Top 4 clubs qualify straight to the last 32 main group stage - unless English sides have won the Champions League & the Europa Cup the season before & both those sides are not in the top 4.. (Yeah I can see that happening regularly :D )
All the clubs eliminated from the Champions League qualifying will go into the Europa Cup.
Staggered kick off times - 18.55CET and 21.00CET – in both the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Europa League.

For the Europa Cup I am as clear as mud...but think that the teams finishing 5th. & 6th. in the EPL qualify...

The competitions kick off at the end of June for those in the preliminary stages - happy summer holidays to them!! :D

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » February 28, 2018, 1:32 pm

..but think that the teams finishing 5th. & 6th. in the EPL qualify...& Possibly 7th I Believe Bob....

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 28, 2018, 1:33 pm

AND no Champions/Europa League matches will use VAR in any form =D>

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » March 6, 2018, 8:25 pm

fixtures.png
fixtures 1.png

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » March 7, 2018, 7:15 am

score.png
score.png (9.55 KiB) Viewed 1179 times
No dramas (or excitement :D ) at Pool as all the work had been done away & it was just a matter of running down the clock..
Madrid win both legs against PSG who manage to lose a man as well. With Real well off their best in their domestic competitions & PSG flying high in France I thought this would be a close contest. It wasn't. :D

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » March 8, 2018, 6:13 am

score.png
score.png (9.76 KiB) Viewed 1139 times
Basel proved that Citi are not unbeatable, but the job had been so done by the hosts in the first round that it didn't matter. Might be a good wake up call against too much complacency in the late stages of this European competition.

Spurs not quite clinical enough when they were on top in the game & then suffered a 3 minute lapse in concentration in the second half to concede 2 goals. They are a bright footballing side but still seem to lack the ability to 'grind out' a result that all winning sides need...

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 8, 2018, 11:09 am

I suspect Jose (and most of the other successful European comp managers) would have put three Routemasters in his defense as soon as he got the opening goal :-$

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » March 9, 2018, 6:30 am

score.png
Very good first leg, away, win by the Gunners. Milan have had a poor season of their own, until they appointed Gattuso as manager in November.
Only potential blot on an Arsenal European victory was that Atlético Madrid (who have made this competition their own over the last few seasons) also seem to be sailing through...

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » March 9, 2018, 12:57 pm

BobHelm wrote:
March 9, 2018, 6:30 am
Only potential blot on an Arsenal European victory was that Atlético Madrid (who have made this competition their own over the last few seasons) also seem to be sailing through...
Sevilla,Bob ?? :-k ;)
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 9, 2018, 3:14 pm

Just goes to show how far Milan have fallen if they lose at home to Arsenal.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » March 10, 2018, 8:17 am

Now the dust has settled on this weeks European ties,its contrasting fortunes for the North London sides.
Spurs didn't do an awful lot wrong against Juventus,who are a good side,except fail to capitalize on their first half dominance and switch off defensively for a few second half minutes.....and if Kanes shot that hit the inside of the post,and rolled along the goal line,had gone in then Spurs might still have won the tie in extra time.
Spurs failings are defensively.They haven't replaced Walker adequately.Trippier is a decent reserve but not a first choice and I'm surprised Everton didn't sign Aurier last summer.....he's that bad !
Their best central defender,Alderweireld,has been out for nearly 4 months and has still not fully recovered from his hamstring injury and Rose has indicated he wants to leave the club.
Sanchez is only 21 and will come good.He has been thrown in at the deep end this season.Davies is a decent left back but not as good going forward as Rose when he decides to play at his best.
But its not all bad news.....Kane has indicated he will stay next season and Spurs may yet win the FA Cup and should finish in the top 4.

It was an excellent result for Arsenal....true....but AC Milan aren't the European giants of old.All the other top 5 English clubs will be hoping Arsenal win the Europa League and Wenger gets another contract extension ! Even if they did win it,its time to bow out Arsene......Atletico Madrid must be the big favourites,anyway.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 10, 2018, 11:38 am

I'm surprised Everton didn't sign Aurier last summer.....he's that bad !

Yeah, Thank F**k We missed Him....

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 10, 2018, 12:14 pm

I blame Auriers agent .......... he only had to say that he could cover as a Number 10, and it was a "done deal" :lol:

Give him a bit of credit though he has kept BOTH feet on the ground (once or twice) recently when taking throw ins, AND he had both hands on the ball and threw from almost behind his head once =;

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » March 10, 2018, 12:40 pm

BobHelm wrote:
March 8, 2018, 6:13 am
score.png
They are a bright footballing side but still seem to lack the ability to 'grind out' a result that all winning sides need...
Just as all winning sides need a tough, pragmatic manager prepared to face and make difficult, (unemotional), decisions, Bob. Unfortunately, I consider the team's loss to Juventus was the result of Pochettino's team selections & tactics.
Alderweireld & Rose are two of the best in Europe, in their respective positions. Cardinal rule in football; 'always pick your best players' Yet, Pochettino did not select either of them. There was no question at all regarding the fitness to play of Rose, and there seems to be universal skepticism, (Zid being the exception :roll:) regarding the vaguely worded reasons advanced by the Manager for Alderweireld's continuing non selection. Both players are under contract to Spurs, and both will want to take full advantage of the opportunity to display their best form for inclusion in their respective world cup squads. So there are only benefits to be gained by the club by continuing to select them during this season, instead of omitting them because they may move on next season.
I don't think it necessary to comment on Pochettinno's insistence on purchasing, and even worse, selecting Lamela, Jansen, Llorente & Sissoko. His loyalty to Lamela is all very laudable, but his job is to act professionally, in the best interests of the club, not play nursemaid.
There is no question in my mind that Kane's sharpness both in movement and shooting, has deteriorated markedly in recent weeks. Almost certainly due to the amount of work he is required to put in foraging for the ball in the middle third of the pitch; when he should be receiving service of the ball, when he is in and around the opponents penalty box, (from where he has scored, I think, somewhere around 80% of his goals!). Pochetinno has done nothing to adjust the tactics whereby Kane will be enabled to spend time in the areas where he has proved most lethal, and has some support from another striker.
Ideally play with three strikers up front; as City, Liverpool & Chelsea are doing currently, so successfully. On current form, (not to mention his irritating & disruptive school boyish petulance), I do not consider Dele Alli worthy of selection ahead of Lucas Moura, who has looked impressive in his limited appearances. Moura, Kane & Son, look pretty good to me as a strike force, capable of testing the best of defences, within the EPL.
My team, which I think would have seen Spurs through to the next round of the Champions League; and which I think Pochettino should go with, for the rest of the season ; but he won't!
Formation: 1-4-2-1-3. Lloris; Trippier, Alderweireld ( or Sanchez),Vertonghen, Rose; Dembele, Dier; Eriksen;
Moura, Kane, Son

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 10, 2018, 1:17 pm

Mat when Alderweireld is missing from the back two Vertonghen's game suffers a massive drop as well.
As a "partnership" they play well together, but both have proved in the past they struggle without each other by their side.
Sanchez has potential, providing he can overcome his "rabbit in headlights" moments when someone passes to him.
Very few defensive players seem to thrive with a new partner, especially at the top level (Burnley this year probably being the exception). If Alderweireld goes in the Summer, get shot of Vertonghen as well, I predict that neither will be a success at their new clubs (unless they move to the same one!)

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » March 10, 2018, 1:29 pm

mat80,thank you for releasing your latest novel :pirate:
Its true you do play your best side for the big matches BUT ONLY WHEN THEY ARE FULLY FIT ! =;
Other than FA Cup ties against lower league opposition neither Alderweireld or Rose have been in the first team picture for months,plus Rose wants out as well.
So,yet again,you have spent hours compiling a post that is mainly out of touch with reality ! ;)

"Sorry about my unkempt appearance but reading mathusalahs post takes so long I havent had time for a shave" - Mauricio Pochettino

Mauricio Pochettino.jpg

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » March 10, 2018, 3:07 pm

Zidane wrote:
March 10, 2018, 1:29 pm
mat80,thank you for releasing your latest novel :pirate: - My pleasure :-"
Its true you do play your best side for the big matches BUT ONLY WHEN THEY ARE FULLY FIT ! =; Absolutely [-(
Other than FA Cup ties against lower league opposition neither Alderweireld or Rose have been in the first team picture for months, plus Rose AND ALDERWEIRELD want out as well. Exactly the point I have made regarding Pochettinno's solution to the problem. :roll:
So, yet again, you have spent hours compiling a post that is mainly out of touch with reality ! ;) YOUR version of reality, not reality 'per se' :-"

"Sorry about my unkempt appearance but reading mathusalah's post takes so long I haven't had time for a shave" - Mauricio Pochettino
Hi Mauricio, I am indeed honoured to discover you are numbered among my valued readers, and the extent to which you prioritize reading my insightful comments. Thank you. Mathusalah. i]

Congratulations Zid, on yet another of your well thought out selective responses. You really do have it down to an art form! :lol: Really happy you still find reading, and responding to, my 'books' irresistible! :D :D \:D/ \:D/

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » March 10, 2018, 4:01 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
March 10, 2018, 1:17 pm
Mat when Alderweireld is missing from the back two Vertonghen's game suffers a massive drop as well.
As a "partnership" they play well together, but both have proved in the past they struggle without each other by their side.
I do agree with you Statts, that Alderweireld & Vertonghen complement each other perfectly; the former's strength being in his tackling, with Vertonghen being a superb reader of the game & in his distribution. Sanchez is showing great promises, so perhaps it would be well worth while to persevere with a Sanchez/Vertonghen central pairing for next season, during which Sanchez could learn much from his more experienced partner.
I guarantee that both Alderweireld & Rose will make miraculous recoveries from the injuries ,( from which Zid insists they are suffering) , well before the English & Belgium world cup squads are announced. Also that both will be protesting loudly and vociferously that they have never been fitter. Equally interesting to see whether they are selected, of whether 'poetic justice' prevails, and they miss out :D.
One consolation for them both , is that they will have in The Mouth, a Manager who values loyalty to the same degree as they have demonstrated. :roll: :-" \:D/
Last edited by mathusalah80 on March 10, 2018, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “World Sports”