Grass Roots Footie 2017/18

General sports news and discussions.
Zidane
udonmap.com

Re: Grass Roots Footie 2017/18

Post by Zidane » February 22, 2018, 10:47 am

I've been deliberately keeping quiet about Macc Town for fear of putting the mockers on ! =;
There last two matches were Aldershot away last Saturday (Aldershot were then 2nd in the league) and Tranmere Rovers away on Tuesday night (Tranmere had subsequently replaced Aldershot as 2nd in the league).
Season defining moments that would decide if Macc were still title contenders or play off hopefuls.
Personally I would have been happy with two draws in such tough fixtures but,given Maccs recent form,I thought even that could be beyond them.
How wrong I was !!!!!!
Aldershot 1 Macclesfield 2
Tranmere 1 Macclesfield 4.......in front of a crowd of nearly 7,500 at Prenton Park.
Macc now 5 points clear at the top and a return to the Football League looking a real possibility again ! :D

One note of caution though.Maccs manager,John Askey,has been touted as the new manager of League 2 Grimsby.
You would think why would he leave a side on the up for one that is struggling....can only be for more money,surely ?
John has been with Macc for 34 years,starting as a 19 year old player,and has since been youth team manager,assistant manager and first team manager for the last 4 seasons
I find it incomprehensible he would leave Macc for Grimsby.It might be more money but just wait till you get home every day and your wife and kids start complaining you smell of fish,John ! ;)

Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 22, 2018, 1:37 pm

The fact that he's been at Macc for 34 yrs holds the key zid :-k

How many times has he seen Macc on the "UP" ......... just to have the rug pulled out from under them before they get there?

He's probably not blind or stupid ..... he know's what's round the next corner 8-[

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 22, 2018, 8:12 pm

Bit of fun so dont look up the answers ....... see which ones are "forgotten".

Since Hereford beat Newcastle and subsequently got elected into the football league the system has changed and more teams than ever are having their first taste of League Football. Some go from strength to strength, some drop back into the non league pyramid, but how many teams can you name that have tasted league football for the first time since Hereford? (A clue .... there are 20)

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » February 24, 2018, 9:00 am

The weekends fixtures featuring the local teams we know and love.....

Leeds v Brentford
Norwich v Bolton
Bristol Rovers v Scunthorpe
Forest Green v Crawley
Luton v Cheltenham
Port Vale v Newport
Macclesfield v Maidenhead

stattointhailand wrote:
February 22, 2018, 8:12 pm
Bit of fun so dont look up the answers ....... see which ones are "forgotten".

Since Hereford beat Newcastle and subsequently got elected into the football league the system has changed and more teams than ever are having their first taste of League Football. Some go from strength to strength, some drop back into the non league pyramid, but how many teams can you name that have tasted league football for the first time since Hereford? (A clue .... there are 20)
Oooh,thats a toughie statts.....but here goes off the top of my head =;

Macclesfield,Cheltenham,Forest Green,Crawley,Fleetwood,Yeovil,Boston Utd,Rushden & Diamonds,Stevenage,Dagenham & Redbridge,Maidstone,Kidderminster,Barnet,Morecambe,Everton :D .....I'm stuck now.
I can remember teams like Halifax,Doncaster,Luton,Lincoln,Shrewsbury,Accrington Stanley and Colchester being promoted from the Conference but they had been in the Football League before.

panmotor
udonmap.com

Post by panmotor » February 24, 2018, 9:29 am

Wimbledon and Scarborough

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » February 24, 2018, 10:22 am

Burton Albion,Wigan Athletic ??
Is that only 2 more to go.....I,m not including Everton !!! ;)

Adhoc
udonmap.com

Post by Adhoc » February 24, 2018, 10:59 am

Signs of life at Elland Road. better performances in the last 3 games and a couple of creditable draws. I can see the mighty whites making a late push for the playoffs. The next few games will tell us.
In other news, Scunthorpe are taking on one of the Bristols. :shock:
Good luck to our much loved teams this weekend, and Everton. :lol:

MOT

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 24, 2018, 11:08 am

Adhoc wrote:
February 24, 2018, 10:59 am
Signs of life at Elland Road. better performances in the last 3 games and a couple of creditable draws. I can see the mighty whites making a late push for the playoffs. The next few games will tell us.
In other news, Scunthorpe are taking on one of the Bristols. :shock:
Good luck to our much loved teams this weekend, and Everton. :lol:

MOT
Yes indeed signs of life at Hellend Rd .. about time too sleeping giant for toooo long decades upon decades !! and the clubs decision to stop giving free coffee and LUFC alarm clocks away to fans entering the ground must tell us some thing ...

ELSEWHERE ...

POSTED BY Zid ..The weekends fixtures featuring the local teams we know and love.....

Leeds v Brentford
Norwich v Bolton
Bristol Rovers v Scunthorpe
Forest Green v Crawley
Luton v Cheltenham
Port Vale v Newport
Macclesfield v Maidenhead

Thanks for highlighting the fixture of most interest Zid , a nice cerise colour loved it ...but next time please remember to increase the font size for more ummmph .

Good luck to ALL the local expats much loved chosen teams ...EVEN LEEDS !! ... another 2-2 for the mighty whites and Scunny as thats been their score of choice recently ?????

Hope youve not jinxed Macc town BTW

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

thaiguzzi
udonmap.com

Post by thaiguzzi » February 24, 2018, 11:17 am

Just been reading an article in my local paper (online) about the new phrase in Norwich. We've had Farke Life, the new one is Farke Time, in comparison to Fergie Time.
Norwich have scored and equalized in the last minute of time added on in both their last two matches. Pretty much last kick of the match. The last one at Wolves is a 35 yard hit & hope. Check it out. The previous one was against the Tractor Boys and took the roof off the stadium.
This is a long term project at NCFC, i don't think they are ready for the Prem league this year, no point going up, then straight down again, but next year, mark my words, they are building something truly special...

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » February 24, 2018, 11:28 am

Zidane wrote:
February 24, 2018, 10:22 am
MK Dons......do they count ?
Off to Nong Bua Lamphu shortly so that will be it for today.
1 to get statto...
..or ??

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 24, 2018, 5:26 pm

Zidane wrote:
February 24, 2018, 11:28 am
Zidane wrote:
1 to get statto...
..or ??
Pan added Wimbledon FC (who then became MK Dons) MK Dons were never a non league team.

2 still to get :lol:

panmotor
udonmap.com

Post by panmotor » February 24, 2018, 6:29 pm

Wycombe came to me in Dairy Queen over a choc cheesecake sundae (a bit disappointing to be honest - the sundae not my brainwave!!) but struggling with the other. Thought it might be Maidstone but, just seen Zid had that one!

I was trying to remember who had humbled Leeds in the cup which was how I got Wimbledon (Dickie Guy penalty save from Lorimer in 1975) but the likes of Histon and Sutton never made it to the FL.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 25, 2018, 7:24 am

Leeds United 1 - 0 Brentford
Bristol Rovers 1 - 1 Scunthorpe United
Forest Green Rovers 2 - 0 Crawley Town
Luton Town 2 - 2 Cheltenham Town
Port Vale 0 - 0 Newport County AFC
Macclesfield 1 - 0 Maidenhead United
Leeds get their shown back on the road, but it is surely too late for a play off place unless a few of those above them have disastrous ends to the season..
The Iron took a very early lead & then clung on until almost the last kick of the match. Still in with a reasonable chance of the play offs though..
A Rovers' win sees them climb away from the bottom 2.
Town threw away a 2 goal lead away from home, but the point sees them ticking along.
A point not really enough for Vale though. They sink down to next to the zone as Rovers & Morecambe both win. Still 6 points clear of danger but need a couple of wins to make sure!!

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » February 25, 2018, 11:21 am

stattointhailand wrote:
February 24, 2018, 5:26 pm
Zidane wrote:
February 24, 2018, 11:28 am
Zidane wrote:
1 to get statto...
..or ??
Pan added Wimbledon FC (who then became MK Dons) MK Dons were never a non league team.

2 still to get :lol:
Hopefully,the answer came to me last night around 7pm but I had no internet access.
Is it the footballing boat race ....... Cambridge United and Oxford United ??

Macclesfield 1 Maidenhead 0.....Macc maintain their 5 point lead at the top thanks to an injury time winner from Scott Wilson.....not a pretty win but its the 3 points that count.

panmotor
udonmap.com

Post by panmotor » February 25, 2018, 2:03 pm

Pretty sure its not those 2. Oxford were always a league club in my life time and Cambridge replaced one of my local clubs, Bradford Park Avenue, in about 1970.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 25, 2018, 2:25 pm

panmotor wrote:
February 25, 2018, 2:03 pm
Pretty sure its not those 2. Oxford were always a league club in my life time and Cambridge replaced one of my local clubs, Bradford Park Avenue, in about 1970.
Oxford Utd came in to existance in 1960 after they changed their name from Headington Utd and gained promotion to the league in 1962 replacing Accrington Stanley.

Everone mentioned Wimbledon FC and MK Dons, but nobody seemed to take it to the next level ..... AFC Wimbledon are the 20th team who were a completely separate club formed after the MK Dons fiasco :lol:

Noticed Rotherham took Fergie time to excess in the derby against Doncaster ......... one down on 90 mins they equalised at 90 +3 and scored the winning penalty with the last kick of the game 90 +13 (THIRTEEN), I'm sure none of the Donny fans even suggested that the ref may be due a bonus due to the added time he needed to work =;

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » February 25, 2018, 5:37 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
February 25, 2018, 2:25 pm

Everone mentioned Wimbledon FC and MK Dons, but nobody seemed to take it to the next level ..... AFC Wimbledon are the 20th team who were a completely separate club formed after the MK Dons fiasco :lol:
Aaaah ! #-o still,it was a good bit of fun,statts.
panmotor quite knowledgeable for a Leeds fan ! ;)

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 26, 2018, 5:08 pm

League One side Peterborough sacked manager Grant McCann last night following their 1-1 draw at home to AFC Wimbledon.

The Posh are on a run of seven matches without a win, including four draws in their last four matches.
Bad run admittedly, but they are still 10th. in the league & no danger of going down..
The have a couple of games in hand over some of the play off places & 6 points in arrears...
Given the poor run it looks like they are well short of Championship standard anyway..
Promotion would probably be a step too far..
He was League 1 manager of the month in August, difficult to see how you sudenly become so bad it is the door...

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 26, 2018, 7:29 pm

Billericay Town owner Glenn Tamplin has sacked his manager, erm, Glenn Tamplin after losing in the FA Trophy quarter-final.

Billericay are top of the Isthmian League with seven games in hand but Tamplin promised he would step down on social media if they lost to Wealdstone, which they did 5-2.

He told the Echo: “When I asked the players to give up a week's wages for the way they have performed in the last seven days they didn't consider me. Why should I consider them?

“They are not matching my investment. We are not getting the results for what I am paying, so I am stepping down.'”

He will continue on as assistant manager.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » March 2, 2018, 8:38 am

Friday 2nd March

Middlesbrough 19:45 Leeds United

Saturday 3rd March

Scunthorpe United 15:00 Oldham Athletic
Barnet 15:00 Port Vale
Cheltenham Town 15:00 Notts County
Crewe Alexandra 15:00 Forest Green Rovers
Macclesfield Town regrets to announce that our Vanarama National League fixture at Boreham Wood has been postponed due to the bad weather.
1 of many by the looks of the amount of snow around... :(

Return to “World Sports”