To die in Thailand?

General Udon Thani topics only!
eagle
udonmap.com

Re: To die in Thailand?

Post by eagle » February 10, 2018, 8:45 pm

fatbob wrote:
February 9, 2018, 5:44 pm
I couldn't bear to have my ashes placed in a temple just in case, imagine spending eternity with a pack of pi--ed out lao khao heads,,,, first choice is to have my ashes scattered in the ocean, second is the Mekong.
In fact, I have been a part of some Thai funerals and while different, there is some common traditions. Not everyone get gun shots, but some do.

What happens to ashes should be cleared here. Next day, when ashes has cooled down, close relatives will come and try to find best bones for them to keep. Then second row will be bones to keep in the house of the passed. Third row will be temple and that, whatever, place bones will be stored with photo, text or nothing.

Then rest of the ashes and bones will be scattered to the nearest big water. Here in Udon Thani it will be Mekong River. If a good reason, maybe own bond or similar. Ocean is of course possible, but sea more common here in Thailand.

I do not mind my wife having some my teeths with her all the time, if she feels that it helps her. Also having a place beside my favourite Buddha statue at home is ok. We also did discuss this and agreed that Mekong River is the place and I know the exactt location. Still do not give google coordinates...

For me this is a little bit different. Over 30 years ago, somewhere near River Kwai, one Thai man said to me: "You came here to die". It was a joke that changed my life. Now I can answer to his question: "Yes".

I just hope that this project will be something like 40-50 years project, not 30+ 8)

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » February 10, 2018, 10:13 pm

All that matters is who cries over you, burnt , buried. your gone. if some people are sad at your loss .. it's the best you can hope for. last year I was back in the uk. went to give some flowers at mums grave , derelict, forgotten .. sad. but I visited mum, dad, sister, and granddad. I was the only person that seemed to had for years . just a little sad
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » February 12, 2018, 5:33 am

thanx guys for all the input..very interesting...
yes I guess I had this question in my head which formed re my late fathers location..He got scattered to the four winds, and so there was/ is place / headstone, where family/ grandkids can go to get a sense of belonging/home...I guess a concrete pillar in the cremation area / forest in our village would do for any that want to come looking afterward..maybe send some ashes back home as another location for everyone back downunder....hahaha ...american share my bones

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » February 12, 2018, 11:25 am

A friend of mine died December 22nd. After the cremation, the Thais insisted that his ashes be near a "BIG Water". As it turned out, a third of his ashes remained at the cremation temple. Another third went to a local temple near where he had lived and the last third was given to us group of farangs, against the wishes of the Thais.We were told that was not the custom of the Thai people. Our small group said that he was NOT Thai and we would have our own ceremony. We all met up on a mountain where we had spent a lot of time and drank many liters of beer. We scattered his ashes in the spot that had a beautiful view. We pasted his picture on a post and left a full beer and a cigarette on the top of the post. It was a cold wet day but we still drank a few beers before we said good bye. I think my friend would have approved of our little ceremony.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 12, 2018, 1:17 pm

glalt wrote:
February 12, 2018, 11:25 am
A friend of mine died December 22nd. After the cremation, the Thais insisted that his ashes be near a "BIG Water". As it turned out, a third of his ashes remained at the cremation temple. Another third went to a local temple near where he had lived and the last third was given to us group of farangs, against the wishes of the Thais.We were told that was not the custom of the Thai people. Our small group said that he was NOT Thai and we would have our own ceremony. We all met up on a mountain where we had spent a lot of time and drank many liters of beer. We scattered his ashes in the spot that had a beautiful view. We pasted his picture on a post and left a full beer and a cigarette on the top of the post. It was a cold wet day but we still drank a few beers before we said good bye. I think my friend would have approved of our little ceremony.
My idea of a perfect funeral.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”