Tennis - Oz Grand Slam 2018.

General sports news and discussions.
mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Tennis - Oz Grand Slam 2018.

Post by mathusalah80 » January 19, 2018, 12:41 pm

ATP. The signs are already to be seen, that this year's first Grand Slam will mark the beginning of the end of the remarkable fifteen plus years reign of the game's Fabulous Four. A combination of the inexorable march of time; the excessive and unreasonable demands placed upon the body and mind by the modern game, coupled with almost inhuman obligatory commitments imposed by the ATP, and, at last, the emergence of a group of extremely talented younger players, points to no other possible conclusion.
That the 36 year old Federer has been nominated, universally so far as I can ascertain, the media's favourite for the title, I consider to be emotional, rather than realistic. Bluntly, if the tournament was based on the best of three sets matches, I too would consider him favourite, but, all things considered, consider winning this title is a miracle beyond even him.
Wawrinka, at 32, and Murray at 30, have suffered , respectively, a serious knee injury, and a hip injury, which required major surgery and, in Murray's case, has resulted in his missing out on the current Grand Slam. I doubt that either of them will return to a top four ranking, or win a future Grand Slam.
Nadal, at 31, and Djokovic, at 30, are almost in similar positions, with Nadal having undergone knee surgery and Djokovic elbow surgery. However Nadal has the considerable advantage of having played half of last season to achieve confidence in the success of the surgery, and become 'battle hardened'. As a bonus, he enjoyed considerable on court success to demonstrate that he is, once again, back to his best form, and is thus full of confidence. Djokovic, on the other hand, is playing in his first serious tournament, since his surgery, so certainly will not be match fit. Realistically, I don't fancy his chances in Melbourne although, provided his elbow holds up, I believe he still possesses the drive & ambition to return to his best form.
As to the new guard from among whom I think will emerge the new generation of champions, and new Fabulous Four, to entertain us, I include, the likes of Alex Zverev, (my No.1 choice),Dominic Thiem, Dimitrov, Raonic & Nishikori. I wish I could include Kyrgios, arguably, the most naturally talented player to emerge. Sadly, I don't think he has the discipline , dedication & self sacrifice necessary to realize his given potential.
So, for the first Grand Slam title of the year, I must reluctantly select Nadal, although my heart forlornly hopes for a Federer or Zverev triumph. For my rank outsider, Martin Juan del Potro, one of the most talented players never to win a Grand Slam.

WTA. Since everyone knows who will be No.1, season's end, I will just content myself with my selection for this Melbourne Grand Slam. My first choice is Angelique Kerber, with Halep my alternative. Other than those two, please, please, anyone except Screamarova =;

tataw
udonmap.com

Re: Tennis - Oz Grand Slam 2018.

Post by tataw » January 19, 2018, 1:11 pm

Actually Juan Martin Del Potro has won the US Open (2009).

Raonic went out in the first round and appears to be having elbow problems. Nishikori is also injured and didn't play. Zverev, Dimitrov, Thiem, Goffin, Kygrios and Shapovalov appear to be part of the new order. The heat is definitely causing problems in Melbourne.

I wont be surprised to see either Nadal or Federer in the final. Although father time is catching up with them they have the "mental" toughness to play a major

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » January 19, 2018, 2:13 pm

tataw wrote:
January 19, 2018, 1:11 pm
Actually Juan Martin Del Potro has won the US Open (2009). Yes Tataw, my mistake, of course, he did. Sadly, I think his record doesn't do justice to his talent, but rather reflects the injuries that have ravaged his career.
Incidentally, I really must stop relying on my memory and base my sports knowledge and comments on computer research, thus avoiding the element of human error; but to do so would remove the fun and satisfaction I enjoy from pursuing my pastime, and leave my critics with an empty void to fill! :lol:

Raonic went out in the first round and appears to be having elbow problems. Nishikori is also injured and didn't play. Zverev, Dimitrov, Thiem, Goffin, Kygrios and Shapovalov appear to be part of the new order. The heat is definitely causing problems in Melbourne. Agree with your comments about Raonic; he looked in trouble right from the outset of his match. Also agree that Shapovalov should be included, as indeed should the young American Kenzie McDonald, who I felt was an unlucky loser.

I wont be surprised to see either Nadal or Federer in the final. Although father time is catching up with them they have the "mental" toughness to play a major Neither of whom should ever be dismissed, even if playing with one hand tied behind their backs! =D> :D

tataw
udonmap.com

Post by tataw » January 20, 2018, 4:13 am

mathusalah80 wrote:
January 19, 2018, 2:13 pm
tataw wrote:
January 19, 2018, 1:11 pm
Actually Juan Martin Del Potro has won the US Open (2009). Yes Tataw, my mistake, of course, he did. Sadly, I think his record doesn't do justice to his talent, but rather reflects the injuries that have ravaged his career.
Incidentally, I really must stop relying on my memory and base my sports knowledge and comments on computer research, thus avoiding the element of human error; but to do so would remove the fun and satisfaction I enjoy from pursuing my pastime, and leave my critics with an empty void to fill! :lol:
I remembered him winning but not the year (I had to research that) and i agree with you he is a talented player ho could of won more majors but has sufferd from serious wrist injuries
Raonic went out in the first round and appears to be having elbow problems. Nishikori is also injured and didn't play. Zverev, Dimitrov, Thiem, Goffin, Kygrios and Shapovalov appear to be part of the new order. The heat is definitely causing problems in Melbourne. Agree with your comments about Raonic; he looked in trouble right from the outset of his match. Also agree that Shapovalov should be included, as indeed should the young American Kenzie McDonald, who I felt was an unlucky loser. At least there are some American men on the horizon, more than could be said for the women

I wont be surprised to see either Nadal or Federer in the final. Although father time is catching up with them they have the "mental" toughness to play a major Neither of whom should ever be dismissed, even if playing with one hand tied behind their backs! =D> :D Totally =D>

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » January 24, 2018, 9:28 am

Congrats to the British no.2,Kyle Edmund,ranked 49 in the world who has reached the semi finals of Australian open after beating world no.3 Grigor Dimitrov.
With Djokovic and Nadal out it could well be a Federer v Cilic final but who knows ?
mat80 in stunned silence after his Russian sweetheart,Maria Sharapova,was knocked out in the 3rd round of the womens singles ! :-$

"Kyle Edmund is not thinking about the possibility of winning the Australian Open but the 23-year-old Briton will go into his semi-final against Marin Cilic here on Thursday with only positive thoughts in his head.
“I believe I can win that match, like I did today and like before every other match,” Edmund said after beating the world No 3, Grigor Dimitrov, 6-4, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 to claim the biggest victory of his life. “I’ve gone in there [today] knowing where my game is at, knowing what I want to do on court, not taking anything for granted.”
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » January 25, 2018, 2:18 pm

I cannot remember when I last enjoyed a Grand Slam event as much as that currently nearing it's conclusion in Melbourne. Speaking personally, I have experienced disappointment and delight in equal measure as my personal favourites have survived or fallen by the wayside. There have also been some major surprises, pointing to the emergence of the new generation of players, most particularly among the men; to which I referred in my original post.
I am not sure, Tataw, I follow your optimism regarding the future of American Men's tennis, as compared to your pessimism in relation to that of your women. :? The only exciting young prospect I have identified is Kenzie McDonald, who performed so well in Melbourne. In all sincerity I do not see Sandgren progressing much beyond his current level, and I think few would argue that Isner is in a similar position. Who else is there? But in women's tennis America has three bright young stars in Keys, Sloan & Lauren Davis, all of whom represent 'work in progress' The latter's five set loss to world No.1 Simona Halep, has been the women's tennis match of the tournament to date.
Back to the tournament. The women's four semi finalists will surprise few genuine tennis fans, with Mertons to play Wozniacki, and Halep to play my favourite, Kerber. In conclusion,a very special thanks to Kerber for her total demolishment of the arrogant Screamarova! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
I think these semi-finals are due to-day, but not sure. Enjoy.
My comments upon the Men's tournament, to follow later; so be warned. :roll:

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » January 25, 2018, 3:03 pm

Just turned on my TV to check when women's semis begin; alas too late; they are both finished :(
Also the commentator announced the first of the men's semis, (Cilic v Edmunds), would 'begin shortly' So will have to content myself with making my choices for the final, and summarising my overview of the tournament at a later date.
So, Cilic to beat Edmunds, and Hyeon Chung to beat Federer !!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

tataw
udonmap.com

Post by tataw » January 26, 2018, 1:35 am

mathusalah80 wrote:
January 25, 2018, 3:03 pm
Just turned on my TV to check when women's semis begin; alas too late; they are both finished :(
Also the commentator announced the first of the men's semis, (Cilic v Edmunds), would 'begin shortly' So will have to content myself with making my choices for the final, and summarising my overview of the tournament at a later date.
So, Cilic to beat Edmunds, and Hyeon Chung to beat Federer !!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
You got the first men's semi correct Mathusalah (maybe Edmund incurred an injury) but I cannot see Federer losing (Korean lad will be very nervous and the Fed will on song, but hopefully not over confident). A chance for Cilic to get retribution for losing Wimbledon. My personal opinion is that the present crop of American women are too mercurial, rested on the laurels of the Williams sisters for too long, and that their men show more promise.

Is this going to be the end of the big 4 with Djokovic, Nadal and Murray carrying long term injuries and Roger has to succumb to the ravages of time soon. I like the look of another Ozzie by the name of De Minaur.

The Halep/Kerber semi was full of drama but I think women's tennis is too much one-dimensional at present (only the Taiwanese women Hsieh was prepared to try something different) and that is why the world #1 chops and changes so much.

Halep to win the women's (if she isn't to knackered) and Federer to win in 4. Happy to be contradicted!

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » January 26, 2018, 12:04 pm

tataw wrote:
January 26, 2018, 1:35 am
I cannot see Federer losing (Korean lad will be very nervous and the Fed will on song, but hopefully not over confident
My heart wants you to be right tataw, but I am haunted by visions from the past, involving a certain 16 year old Becker, followed by another youngster called Federer, neither of who were given a chance against allegedly far superior opponents! :-k I believe this lad Hyeon Chung to be caste in the same mould; but for sure today is the day he will learn a lot about what the future holds for him.

Is this going to be the end of the big 4 with Djokovic, Nadal and Murray carrying long term injuries and Roger has to succumb to the ravages of time soon.
As I mentioned in my opening post tataw, I believe their time is already in the process of passsing.

The Halep/Kerber semi was full of drama..........Halep to win the women's (if she isn't to knackered) and Federer to win in 4. Happy to be contradicted!
I was pleased I caught up with the Halep v Kerber match. Although disappointed Kerber lost, the match was a real epic and a credit to both of them. Yes, I cannot see Wozniacki overcoming Halep's indomitable determination to take the Trophy, and retain her No.1 Ranking.
Now off to discover what time the Federer v Chung match starts. [-o<

tataw
udonmap.com

Post by tataw » January 26, 2018, 5:11 pm

Well that was a bit of a damp squib. Even without blister/s I don't think he would of troubled Federer.

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » January 28, 2018, 11:18 am

tataw wrote:
January 26, 2018, 5:11 pm
Well that was a bit of a damp squib. Even without blister/s I don't think he would of troubled Federer.
Agree. The young man seemed to be overawed , and certainly outclassed; although he was clearly increasingly affected by his foot problems, as the match progressed. Based on this performance by Chung, both Zverev & Dimitrov must have spent a sleepless night wondering how they came to lose against him. However, all three are still in the learning stage, most particularly Zverev & Chung, and should enjoy a successful future in tennis.

Wozniacki v Halep, women's final. By the end of the first set, I was apprehensive we were going to witness a runaway victory by Wozniacki. Halep was not moving at all well, and her liveliness & bounce about the court, usually associated with her ,was absent. Her 'eventful' passage to the final had clearly taken it's toll of her physically, and the extreme heat wasn't helping her condition. That, with the sympathetic support of the stadium spectators, and her trademark battling, Halep somehow won the second set was something of a shock, not least to Wozniacki who appeared , for a while, to lose hr composure. However, to all intents and purposes, while there were moments in the third set when the result appeared in doubt, Wozniacki was finishing by far the stronger of the two and, in the end, was a deserved winner. Congratulations to both ladies for providing an epic match , in extremely difficult conditions.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » January 28, 2018, 1:08 pm

Congratulations to Caroline Wozniaki winning her first Grand Slam tournament ever in this years Australian tournament.
Caroline Wozniaki.jpg

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » January 28, 2018, 3:51 pm

Federer v Cilic Men's Final.
Both have demonstrated excellent form and, importantly, an excellent state of physical fitness. Again, only once throughout the tournament, have either of them been under pressure and, even then, defeat seemed unlikely.
In Federer's case, in the first set of his semi final match, it seemed Berdych would provide stern opposition but, as the match progressed, it became obvious Federer was performing at a level far beyond that of which Berdych was capable. Nevertheless it was a hard fought win, obtained in extremely hot conditions, which must have proved physically draining; particularly to a 37 year old, playing his sixth match in eleven days! :-k 8-[ :mad:
The magnificence performance of Cilic , in his semi final match up against Nadal, must have given him tremendous confidence leading into the final. Make no mistake, Nadal was already thoroughly beaten, long before he 'retired hurt'. Cilic out served him; outran him; out thought him; was physically fresher than him at the end, and even out powered him! =D> . I cannot remember ever having seen Nadal appear so frustrated and exhausted as he did at the end of this match.
If Cilic can bring his semi final form into the final against Federer, most particularly with regard to his serving, and his new found aggression, ( i.e. leave Mr Nice Guy in the dressing room [-X ), we could be in for a very entertaining final. My personal view is that Cilic has been handed what could prove to be a major, perhaps even a deciding, advantage, should the match be an extended one, and the extreme hot conditions continue to prevail. I refer to the remarkable decision by the tournament administrators to provide the 29 year old Cilic with an extra recovery day, to that allowed to Federer, eight years his senior!!!! What happened to the 'even playing field', unwritten law.
Clearly Federer's aim will be to adopt such tactics as he considers will provided him with the best chance to close the match out within three, certainly not more than four, sets That his service game is on song, and the extent to which he is able to maximise every break point opportunity he creates, are the three factors which I think will enable Federer to win his twentieth Grand Slasm.

tataw
udonmap.com

Post by tataw » January 29, 2018, 2:12 am

Spot on analysis Mathusalah, except we were both out by one set. Going by Zidane's photo the prettier one won it!

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » January 29, 2018, 7:24 pm

Roger Federer.jpg
Hard to believe Federer turned 36 last August.He just goes on and on.He's won 3 Grand Slams in the last 12 months and this was his 20th overall.
I remember him winning Wimbledon in 2004 and who would have thought 14 years later he'd still be as good as ever.
He's a credit to tennis both on and off court and long may it continue.
When he lost 5 consecutive games in set 4 I thought he'd blown it but his never say die attitude prevailed for a comfortable set 5 and title victory.

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » January 30, 2018, 4:37 pm

Thanks for your kind comment tataw.
I will continue, as I have throughout this thread, by NOT detailing Federer's incredible career statistics.
Every single genre of media has been swamped with such statistics to the extent that anyone could become an overnight expert on Federer, simply by spending five minutes on a computer. I created this thread for the benefit of Tennis fans, most of whom would almost certainly be able to quote Federer's achievements by heart, and don't need me to tell them what they already know. :roll: My aim is to create interest, to inform, and to provoke constructive debate, and to ensure my posts are always a true reflection of my personal views. :-k
Tennis Australia, and most critics claim, this tournament has proved to be the most successful Australian Grand Slam of the modern era; basing that view on record number of in ground spectators; media viewers; revenue and approval ratings, (whatever that means? :-s ).
Nothing here with which I would disagree. But, I think the world tennis authorities really do need to have a hard look at and, beggar the thought, do something about the increasing number of screamers in the women's game, (which seems to have reached epidemic proportions); the return of the totally unnecessary pre-service mutitudiness bouncing of the ball which, in the case of the usual offenders, I noted a high of 18 bounces; the deliberate delaying tactics of some players between serves. It seems to be an almost standard occurrence, in the women's matches particularly that players turned their back on their opponent until they were ready. The rule that the onus was on the receiver to be ready when the server was ready to serve is being totally ignored by both the players and, more seriously, by the chair umpire. This tactic, of course, was refined to perfection by the Mistress of Gamesmanship herself, Screamarova. After the problems experienced with the extreme heat during the tournament, this is clearly an area needing the serious attention of the administrators to obviate the possibility of a fatal accident.
Back to the Men's final. Undoubtedly Cilic & Federer proved the perfect climax to the tournament by, against all the odds, providing a very sporting match equal in thrills, skills, excitement, roller coaster emotions and physical commitment as that in the epic 2017 between Federer and Nadal. On merit these players won alternate sets to arrive at the final set, with Cilic marginally the favourite, based on his 8 year advantage; his appearance of being the fresher of the two, and the combination of Federer demonstrating difficulty handling the service of Cilic and, the most important factor of all, Federer's first service % had tumbled alarmingly into the twenties, leaving Federer looking very vulnerable to a critical break.
The third game of the set decided the match, and is likely to be indelibly imprinted in Cilic's mind as the two or three minutes when he let the Championship[ slip from his grasp. The pill must have been even more bitter to him knowing that his failures to convert the two break back point handed to him on a plate were the result of unforced errors on his part, not due to any pressure from Federer. Although he briefly threatened Federer's service game on one further occasion, there is not, currently, a player in the world who would have been capable of beating Federer, at that stage of the game.
Congratulations are due to Cilic for his performances throughout the tournament, particularly in the final, and his match against Nadal. The changes in his support team and to certain aspects of his game have demonstrably improved both his game and on court attitude. If he maintains his form, I consider him to have a real chance of causing a major upset at the French Grand Slam which, incidentally, I tip Nadal NOT to win! :-s :shock:
As to Federer, anyone that still harboured any doubts as to his right to be considered the greatest Tennis Player of all time; the greatest & humblest Sportsman of all time, and a very special & unique human being, should take the opportunity to watch attentively every action of Federer, and listen to everything he said, during the course of the award ceremony. If you then still retain any doubts then I believe you should seriously question the set of values by which you choose to live.
AND SO ON TO THE CLAY COURTS OF NADAL LAND! :-" :-" :lol: :lol: \:D/ \:D/
Last edited by mathusalah80 on January 31, 2018, 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » January 31, 2018, 8:54 am

Compare Federers persona with that of former champion,Boris Becker,now aged 50.If he's speaking the truth,losing all these trophies is nearly as big a feat as winning them ! [-(
My missus is always losing things but she'd be hard put to beat this.... ;)
Boris Becker.jpg
LONDON (AFP) - Bankrupt former tennis star Boris Becker on Wednesday (Jan 24) appealed for help in tracking down five missing Grand Slam trophies which he needs to sell to help pay off his debts.
The German shook up the tennis world at Wimbledon in 1985 when, as an unseeded player, he became the then youngest-ever male Grand Slam champion at the age of 17, defending the trophy the following year.
Becker, 50, went on to win six Grand Slam trophies in a glittering career and reached world number one, amassing more than US$25 million in prize money.
But the German, who coached former world number one Novak Djokovic to multiple Grand Slam titles, was declared bankrupt by a court in London last year.
His London-based bankruptcy trustees said in a statement issued on Wednesday that Becker had helped collect some of the trophies and other memorabilia that he amassed during his career.
But the trustees added: "A number of the trophies of Mr Becker's career are unaccounted for as Mr Becker is unable to recollect where they are located."
The statement said the All England Tennis Club, which hosts Wimbledon, the German Tennis Federation, the US Tennis Association, Tennis Australia and the International Tennis Hall of Fame, do not appear to have the missing trophies.
"Mr Becker and his bankruptcy trustees are therefore issuing a joint appeal to the public for any information that may assist with locating Mr Becker's missing trophies, which include the trophies for his victories at the Australian Open (1991 and 1996) and Wimbledon (1985, 1986, 1989; The President's Challenge Cup 1985 and 1989; The Renshaw Cup 1989)."

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » January 31, 2018, 12:42 pm

Zidane wrote:
January 31, 2018, 8:54 am
Compare Federers persona with that of former champion,Boris Becker,now aged 50.If he's speaking the truth,losing all these trophies is nearly as big a feat as winning them ! [-(
My missus is always losing things but she'd be hard put to beat this.... ;)
Boris Becker.jpg
Yes, I had already read this report which you have requoted, and my reaction was precisely the same as yours; I don't believe a word of it. Sadly, Becker is now just another a deadbeat, unable to handle his fame, and who lacked the stable base and support, which could have helped him. Djokovic generously handed him the opportunity to re-establish himself in the tennis world, but he failed to seize that chance, and now appears to be history.
There are several talented young players of both sexes who could benefit by carefully looking at the careers and behaviours of Becker & Federer, and then making a decision upon whether they are making the right choices, in relation to their own lifestyles.

Return to “World Sports”