2017 Ashes Tour

General sports news and discussions.
Zidane
udonmap.com

Re: 2017 Ashes Tour

Post by Zidane » January 12, 2018, 9:25 am

A fair comment,Barney.
Morgan has played for the Test side 16 times and averages 30 with the bat.
He hasn't been picked since a poor tour against Pakistan played in the UAE in 2012.
He's certainly no worse than some who have been picked since and is still only 31.
Incidentally,I think James Vince looks the part and plays some superb shots but he's nearly always out the same way,wafting one to the keeper.Its very frustrating and I think New Zealand will be his last chance.....looking good but being out for 20 nearly every time isn't Test material,I'm afraid.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » January 14, 2018, 6:59 pm

Good win to the poms to take a 1 nil lead in the 50 over games

James Roy the destroyer with a best for a englishman with a knock of 180.

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » January 15, 2018, 6:03 am

Couple of things that came out of the pyjama game. Roy looks a better technical player than Stoneman and Vince and Finch looks to have a far better technique and temperament than Bancroft. Finch instead of Bancroft would make the Aussie top 6 look better for the challenge ahead in Africa. England do have a bowler who can hit 140+kmh. Where was Woods in Perth and Brisbane?
Steve Smith and David Warner looked a bit disinterested and possibly should be rested from these meaningless games. May as well rest the three front line bowlers too for the drop in wicket games. Would hate to lose any one of them before South Africa.
Watch Me!!

tataw
udonmap.com

Post by tataw » January 15, 2018, 6:22 am

Agreed Mark. There is Tye, Richardson and a couple of other good pace bowlers who could play in the ODI's. The guy Short (who tops the runs in the BBL by a big margin) could replace Warner and Hilton Cartwright could replace Smith. Also Ashton Agar is a good spinner to have playing.

Woods, the poor wee cherub, is apparently injury prone and not up to the rigours of Test cricket (same could be said for some of the other English players.........)

Don't worry the England team will do well when they get to NZ and meet conditions to their liking and play against mainly weekend warriors.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » January 15, 2018, 8:41 am

Not sure why Roy has not been given a chance in the long form of the game. The general 'wise' press comments say that he is a short game player only. However he does open for Surrey & has an average of 38 in First Class games - which is not much less than his 40 average in ODI's. He was born in SA, but that has never stopped England playing them in Tests in the past.. :D
Mark Wood didn't tour as the selectors said they were worried about his fitness - I think he had only just returned from a long lay off for a foot injury that has been an issue for him for years. He did go with the Lions to Australia & I think if he had looked anything like at full fitness they would have drafted him over..

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » January 15, 2018, 9:40 am

Roy had been struggling in the ODI's until recently and that may also have been a reason he wasn't considered for the longer game for England.
But if he could have hit 180 before lunch in the Tests he would certainly have outshone the "pedestrian" Warner. :D

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » January 15, 2018, 9:53 am

Zidane wrote:
January 15, 2018, 9:40 am
Roy had been struggling in the ODI's until recently and that may also have been a reason he wasn't considered for the longer game for England.
But if he could have hit 180 before lunch in the Tests he would certainly have outshone the "pedestrian" Warner. :D
Mr Zidane

That one hurt. :? Very close to the heart.

Warner never struggled in the short forms of the game and struggled early in his career at test level, but he changed his game and became a destructive and prolific run getter in all forms of cricket. Even captaining and winning IPL tournaments as a side line to earn a few million.
I'll assume JJ Roy may follow that path and be a reasonable player in all formats. I wont hold my breath as the English establishment probably wont allow him to.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » January 15, 2018, 9:59 am

Barney wrote:
January 15, 2018, 9:53 am
Zidane wrote:
January 15, 2018, 9:40 am
Mr Zidane

That one hurt. :? Very close to the heart. .
Oh,sorry,hurt similar to Cummins bowling short balls to Jimmy Anderson ? ;)

But Roy deserves a chance.....theyve tried every other bugger.....theres only Bob Helm left ! :D

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » January 15, 2018, 10:31 pm

Stokes Charged

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-16/b ... wl/9331966

If found guilty, wont be able to tour Oz again? due to charges

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » January 16, 2018, 9:15 am

So what happens if Stokes is found guilty and pays his fine or serves his time well before Englands next Ashes tour ?
What if he re-establishes himself in the England side and is picked to go to Australia on merit ?
If Australia refuses to let him in would England still go ahead and tour ?
Shades of Basil d'Oliveira and South Africa in the late 60's.
Ironically,if England pull out of the Ashes series the most likely alternative series option could be South Africa.
But 4 years is a long way off and a lot can happen in that time......

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » January 16, 2018, 9:38 am

I Think Z , its an immigration law, applies to all persons who have these convictions... ( lets hope not guilty for crickets sake )

Character test applies for his visa:

" they have a substantial criminal record
they have been convicted of any offence while in immigration detention
they have an association with an individual or group suspected of being involved in criminal conduct
that having regard to the person’s past and present criminal conduct, the person is found not to be of good character
that having regard to the person’s past and general conduct the person is found to be not of good character
there is a significant risk that the person will engage in criminal conduct in Australia "

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 16, 2018, 10:35 am

"there is a significant risk that the person will engage in criminal conduct in Australia "

Just heard JJ Roy is going to be deported :-$

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » January 16, 2018, 10:43 am

They are using this law to deport all Kiwis and other criminals , with convictions over 12 months in jail,

As soon as they are released they are then taken to an immigration detention centre and their visa cancelled and deported.

Or if they leave Oz for a holiday , once overseas they cancel their Visa for Oz and not permitted back.

They might ping JJ on importing wood and not having it treated etc

( thinking how to contact Customs as I type )

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » January 16, 2018, 12:47 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
January 16, 2018, 10:35 am
"there is a significant risk that the person will engage in criminal conduct in Australia "

Just heard JJ Roy is going to be deported :-$
To where his birthplace country or his adopted country? :-"

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » January 16, 2018, 3:41 pm

Holy Cross Borders Batman

Yes Robyn it seems very challenging

Return to “World Sports”