John's budget build

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Re: John's budget build

Post by ajarnudon » January 11, 2018, 9:49 pm

Hi again Pipoz. Yes, I paid the same price. There is a large hardware shop on the LHS of the Nong Khai Road beside the Udon Thani Christian School (I think) a few hundred metres before the ring road. The shop and the block plant are owned by the same people. I suspect the outlet you bought from has the same ownership. I know that you paid quite a bit more for your first lot some time ago (and my previous - read sacked - builder tried to put that on me too), but these are a great product. I used them for the bottom four courses of my retaining wall filled with concrete and 12 mm reo vertically in every second block and horizontaly in the third course.
Last edited by ajarnudon on January 11, 2018, 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » January 11, 2018, 9:53 pm

Hi again Pipoz. Yes, I paid the same price. There is a large hardware shop on the LHS of the Nong Khai Road beside the Udon Thani Christian School (I think) a few hundred metres before the ring road. The shop and the block plant are owned by the same people. I suspect the outlet you bought from has the same ownership. I know that you paid quite a bit more for your first lot some time ago (and my previous - read sacked - builder tried to put that on me too), but these are a great product. I used them for the bottom four courses of my retaining wall filled with concrete and 12 mm reo vertically in every second block and horizontaly in the third course.

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » January 11, 2018, 10:17 pm

And hi too as well to STWW and my other commentators. In my design I am guided by the materials and sizes that were specified for the construction of my house on the Gold Coast circa 1991. I hand drew the floor plan and elevations, and after a few builder interviews, my selected builder had them profesionally drawn and specified and approved by the GC City Council.
I know they will be strong enough, particularly when braced laterally at only 2.4 m, and longitudinally at up to 6 m centres but with heavy guage 15 cm C-purlins. The things I am not so sure about (and still seek comments on) are about partially filling with reo concrete, and in particular, anti-corrosion measures. I have never used steel posts with concrete block fill walls before. Plaese comment on these and any other factors (eg. tie wires into the mortar etc.).
Thanks in advance
John

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » January 14, 2018, 9:51 pm

Another whirlwind trip to do some work on the house. On site at 8 am Saturday, back in BKK 2 pm Sunday. Really achieved a lot in that short space of time though. First up we checked a couple of measurements and marked out a lot of levels - this was so that I could revise the plans (Sketchup) in the light of reality when I got back to BKK. We got a couple of things not quite right, but nothing too major. I had drawn the plans with a 12.5 deg roof pitch, but after roofing the garage, this has come down to 11.7 deg. And with single spans of roofing sheets, this won't be a problem. Just need to adjust the plan so that the the main house roof has the exact same pitch.
As my pickup is in BKK, we got the foreman to use his to pickup to get some stuff in Udon (25 kms) - hired a vibrating-plate compactor for the weekend, next call Global House : four HD 15 cm x 6 m C-purlins for some more top plates, primer to paint same, lightweight purlins to go under the garage rafters to support the rolls of foil-sheathed FG insulation we bought, a 2.1 m aluminium stepladder, and some lengths of 25 mm electrical conduit.
Back to the village, and painted the top plates.
After lunch (as pre-arranged) we took on 8 10-wheeler tippers of fill and the neighbour (who was severely hungover) came with his tractor to move it around the site. He did a very good job under the circumstances, manouvering his machine even within the confines of the garage frame.
20180113_143021.jpg
Meanwhile, the foreman had found a new toy - nobody else got a go on the whacker packer. We used this to compact the areas that would be slab-on-ground - the garage, kitchen and bathroom cum indoor garden. The rest of the house is elevated (five steps), and the outside area will be compacted by rain during the wet season.
20180113_142954.jpg
Sunday the tractor man came back for a final trim, my three-man team finished the compacting and returned the compactor, picked up some more gear from GH, then back to the village. My missus sent me a photo and video of the aftenoon's work, and the under-rafter purlins had all been welded in place and the insulation installed. The rafters are three inch deep box sections 1.2 m apart, accommodating two parallel rolls of the two inch insulation perfectly, and allowing for a one inch air gap on top to obviate condensation and mould. I intend to use the same method in the house proper, with four inch rafters and 3 inch insulation.
LINE_P20180114_213840493.jpg
In case you're wondering, the garage is going to be my motel room as well as lock up storage during construction.
The place is even starting to look like a building site now.
20180113_111233-1.jpg
Cheers, John

Return to “House & Land”