Retirement extension - earliest permitted filing

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
tamada
udonmap.com

Retirement extension - earliest permitted filing

Post by tamada » October 15, 2017, 3:18 am

It's only been (almost) a year but I forgot to write it down.

What is the earliest one can apply for a new retirement extension at Udon Immigration, ie. how many days before the due date stamped in the passport?

Some allow 45 days, others only 30. What applies here?

ta,
tam

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Re: Retirement extension - earliest permitted filing

Post by Bandung_Dero » October 15, 2017, 8:00 am

I believe the rule of thumb is 30 Days prior to expiry, I ALWAYS do mine on the 25 or 26th Dec (for obvious reasons :-$ ) my expiry date is the 11th Jan. About 15 Days
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » October 15, 2017, 8:27 am

It is 30 days here in Udon.
I asked when I did mine in July & they said 30 days

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » October 15, 2017, 12:21 pm

Did mine on the 31st of August ( the day it expired ) and was told could have done up to 30 days previous.

Im sure a few old hands will know this, but the 90 day reporting date doesnt change when a new extension of the visa is approved.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 15, 2017, 2:07 pm

wazza wrote:
October 15, 2017, 12:21 pm
Did mine on the 31st of August ( the day it expired ) and was told could have done up to 30 days previous.

Im sure a few old hands will know this, but the 90 day reporting date doesnt change when a new extension of the visa is approved.
A few years ago, needing to travel back to the US about 50 days before our extension was due, I explained our situation and asked if we could extend early. Yes.

On the 90 day reporting......if your 90 day report is due, say, 1 Nov. And you do your visa extension, say, 15 Oct, your new 90 day report date will be 90 days from 15 Oct. At least that's the way it's work for us on numerous occasions over the years.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » October 15, 2017, 2:27 pm

parrot wrote:
October 15, 2017, 2:07 pm
wazza wrote:

A few years ago, needing to travel back to the US about 50 days before our extension was due, I explained our situation and asked if we could extend early. Yes.

On the 90 day reporting......if your 90 day report is due, say, 1 Nov. And you do your visa extension, say, 15 Oct, your new 90 day report date will be 90 days from 15 Oct. At least that's the way it's work for us on numerous occasions over the years.
Oh dear, seems I was at the discretion of the Imm Officer, not that it matters as Im OS now, and get a new 90 days in Nov

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 15, 2017, 2:39 pm

wazza wrote:
October 15, 2017, 2:27 pm
parrot wrote:
October 15, 2017, 2:07 pm
wazza wrote:

Oh dear, seems I was at the discretion of the Imm Officer, not that it matters as Im OS now, and get a new 90 days in Nov
Udon immigration has been renewing 90day the same day as you apply for visa extension for several years. It wasn't always the case. I doubt they're under any obligation to do so.......but if they didn't, I'd kindly ask if they would.....if for no other reason than to get '90day in sync with visa extension'.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » October 15, 2017, 3:15 pm

For as long as I can remember I have been given a 90 day report date from the day I did the extension regardless of prior travel or gazetted 90 day report date EVEN through the bulls##t (graft) 30 day "Under Consideration" days - eg.

I do my Extension on the 25th December my 90 day report is due about 23rd March regardless of the fact my extension date is 11th Jan.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » October 15, 2017, 4:01 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
October 15, 2017, 3:15 pm
For as long as I can remember I have been given a 90 day report date from the day I did the extension regardless of prior travel or gazetted 90 day report date EVEN through the bulls##t (graft) 30 day "Under Consideration" days - eg.

I do my Extension on the 25th December my 90 day report is due about 23rd March regardless of the fact my extension date is 11th Jan.
That's been true for me too. I just use the dates they give me and smile. No problem.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 15, 2017, 5:53 pm

Thanks chaps, including the comments on 90-day reports; always handy to know. I have been dealing with Jomtien for the past 5 years or so and gotten kinda used to their peccadillo's.

The way work is panning out, I think I will need to go cap-in-hand and and see if they remember the "Parrot Protocol" and get mine done a bit earlier.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 7, 2017, 6:50 pm

Dropped by Immigration early afternoon to ask about Retirement Extension renewal. The place was busy and the guy at the 90-day desk was the only one free to answer my questions after he gave me their printed list of requirements dated "as of 3rd December 2008". When I pressed him on anything sooner than 30 days prior, he didn't offer anything except 30 days. Anyway, after I left, I looked through the list again to see if anything had changed from earlier Marriage Extensions that I had filed their years ago and noted that it says that the Embassy/Consulate stamp on the letter of income certification needs to be verified by the MFA at Chaengwattana. Bit of a bugger if they are insisting on that. Anyone can confirm that they do need this extra endorsement?

Ta
tam

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 7, 2017, 7:31 pm

In 2014 my wife and I had to travel back to the US for medical reasons. Our extensions were due in mid-Oct, we needed to leave mid-Aug. I popped in with a cheat sheet of Thai/English........gave the official my reasons, he said, "can do, just stop by a day before you leave". I felt uncomfortable with a verbal handshake (in case he wasn't there the day we went in). I asked if he'd put his signature on a short note. He did. We ended up going in about 50 days before our extension was due. No problems. Times and officials change.......so I'd inquire. Best times usually are latish afternoon.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 7, 2017, 9:09 pm

parrot wrote:
December 7, 2017, 7:31 pm
In 2014 my wife and I had to travel back to the US for medical reasons. Our extensions were due in mid-Oct, we needed to leave mid-Aug. I popped in with a cheat sheet of Thai/English........gave the official my reasons, he said, "can do, just stop by a day before you leave". I felt uncomfortable with a verbal handshake (in case he wasn't there the day we went in). I asked if he'd put his signature on a short note. He did. We ended up going in about 50 days before our extension was due. No problems. Times and officials change.......so I'd inquire. Best times usually are latish afternoon.
I am more concerned about the MFA sign-off on the embassy income letter as getting that letter is a mail-order task at the British Embassy these days. No longer permitted to apply for it in person so I didn't plan on visiting Bangkok at all this time.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 9, 2017, 10:47 am

OK, my MFA certification worries have been laid to rest by good members (in another thread) who have recently filed retirement extensions and had no issues with just the original income letter.

I have my short list as follows:

Passport
TM7 form + passport picture.
Yellow book and/or ID card + 1 copy
Embassy Income letter + 1 copy
Copies of passport data page, extension transfer page and all subsequent extensions and all related re-entry permits.
Copy of current TM6.
1900 baht.

Since I am relocating back here, should I have Mrs tam complete a TM30 or do I submit TM28... or both? Do they have a hard-on for that sort of stuff here?

ta
tam

86Tiger
udonmap.com

Post by 86Tiger » December 9, 2017, 12:57 pm

As related in your other thread, I did my extesion on 22 Nov.

I had FIL sign the power of attorney form naming me his representative and I filled out and signed the TM30. Only question asked was to my wife if this was her father or were we paying rent. They were happy and never looked up again except to return my passport.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 9, 2017, 2:55 pm

86Tiger wrote:
December 9, 2017, 12:57 pm
As related in your other thread, I did my extesion on 22 Nov.

I had FIL sign the power of attorney form naming me his representative and I filled out and signed the TM30. Only question asked was to my wife if this was her father or were we paying rent. They were happy and never looked up again except to return my passport.
Cheers tiger. Is that PoA thing and questions about rent because you don't have a yellow book so were using the blue tibian bahn? Since it's a retirement extension, I don't plan on bringing Mrs tam along just to be a pretty wallflower if the yellow book and me is all that's needed when it comes to proof of address.

86Tiger
udonmap.com

Post by 86Tiger » December 9, 2017, 7:25 pm

I do have yellow book and did provide copies in what I provided. FIL owns the blue book on the house. I didn’t know what was asked until we were back in car as it was just few words with polite ka couple words and another ka from my bride. I asked my bride what lady said to her as I did not associate the comments with the extension. I thought it may had been a comment on our naughty 3 yr old wrecking havoc. Apparently, he is first ever to get loose and run into Big Boss office.........

My impression was it was more of a conversational type question than “official” inquiry. Nothing else was asked and the lady never stopped working or hesitated while sorting the paperwork.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 11, 2017, 9:49 am

86Tiger wrote:
December 9, 2017, 7:25 pm
I do have yellow book and did provide copies in what I provided. FIL owns the blue book on the house. I didn’t know what was asked until we were back in car as it was just few words with polite ka couple words and another ka from my bride. I asked my bride what lady said to her as I did not associate the comments with the extension. I thought it may had been a comment on our naughty 3 yr old wrecking havoc. Apparently, he is first ever to get loose and run into Big Boss office.........

My impression was it was more of a conversational type question than “official” inquiry. Nothing else was asked and the lady never stopped working or hesitated while sorting the paperwork.
So the 'hosting' blue tibian ban book and the owner (or proof of the owner) thereof is needed in addition to the associated yellow book?

I recall the days of the 'family presence' being required for renewing Marriage extensions at Udon IO and I hope the Retirement iteration is a bit less involved. FWIW, I have the yellow book, pink ID card and a 5-year Thai DL, all which show the same residential address in Udon. Unfortunately (in this instance) FiL has passed away and as suspected, nobody has bothered to get the tibian ban blue book amended to show who wears the pants now... always was MiL anyway!

86Tiger
udonmap.com

Post by 86Tiger » December 11, 2017, 3:02 pm

From all I have read, the law requires the “House Master”, owner of the Blue Book, to report all foreigners staying at his address via TM30. Rather than ask FIL to come with us, I simply included the signed, witnessed power of attorney, signed copy of FIL ID and FIL signed copy of blue book (think I didn’t mention those 2 originally) and it went through with no issue or hiccup.

I did not ask any one at immigration office before hand so you may have different experience. All I can for certain say is it worked very well for me.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 11, 2017, 5:40 pm

86Tiger wrote:
December 11, 2017, 3:02 pm
From all I have read, the law requires the “House Master”, owner of the Blue Book, to report all foreigners staying at his address via TM30. Rather than ask FIL to come with us, I simply included the signed, witnessed power of attorney, signed copy of FIL ID and FIL signed copy of blue book (think I didn’t mention those 2 originally) and it went through with no issue or hiccup.

I did not ask any one at immigration office before hand so you may have different experience. All I can for certain say is it worked very well for me.
Cheers Tiger... I think I'm making headway here. After a search for the blue tibian bahn, I can say that they have had MiL made head of household in the book so that's a step closer.

Can you assist me further with this Power of Attorney document? Being a Thai document, is it a standard one from a law office or something specific? Is it down-loadable from anywhere?

ta
tam

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”