Problems with Firefox after a major Windows 10 update

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
arjay
udonmap.com

Problems with Firefox after a major Windows 10 update

Post by arjay » October 22, 2017, 8:27 pm

I have a problem with my laptop. After a major Windows 10 Update last night, which took over an hour to download, another hour to "prepare" and then about 2 hours to install with many restarts, when I went to open Firefox (the browser I use most), it told me I needed to do a restart to update itself (Firefox), which I did, but then it still keeps saying it needs to do a restart to update itself and I can't open it. It just keeps on repeating that question, but presumably is unable to do the update. I guess something in the W10 update has mucked things up.

Since then I have tried installing a newly downloaded copy and tried uninstalling my existing version of Firefox (using both Settings and C Cleaner to try and do that). But whatever I do, each and every time I get told that it needs a re-start to update Firefox, either when I try and install the new version or when I try to uninstall the existing version, I keep getting the ... needs a restart first message..

(Even in the "Do you want to allow Firefox installer to make changes to your system", - if I say yes, it tells me I need to do the restart, and if I say No, it just cancels the activity).

I am really stuck. Does anyone have any ideas?

I am using Opera to make this post, but I have many bookmarks and info all set up on Firefox, which is by far my preferred browser.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Re: Problems with Firefox after a major Windows 10 update

Post by DuiDui49 » October 22, 2017, 8:37 pm

arjay wrote:
October 22, 2017, 8:27 pm
I have a problem with my laptop. After a major Windows 10 Update last night, which took over an hour to download, another hour to "prepare" and then about 2 hours to install with many restarts, when I went to open Firefox (the browser I use most), it told me I needed to do a restart to update itself (Firefox), which I did, but then it still keeps saying it needs to do a restart to update itself and I can't open it. It just keeps on repeating that question, but presumably is unable to do the update. I guess something in the W10 update has mucked things up.

Since then I have tried installing a newly downloaded copy and tried uninstalling my existing version of Firefox (using both Settings and C Cleaner to try and do that). But whatever I do, each and every time I get told that it needs a re-start to update Firefox, either when I try and install the new version or when I try to uninstall the existing version, I keep getting the ... needs a restart first message..

(Even in the "Do you want to allow Firefox installer to make changes to your system", - if I say yes, it tells me I need to do the restart, and if I say No, it just cancels the activity).

I am really stuck. Does anyone have any ideas?

I am using Opera to make this post, but I have many bookmarks and info all set up on Firefox, which is by far my preferred browser.
"[SOLUTION AT THE END OF THE REPLY]

Hi FredMcD and thanks for reply.

Absolutely nothing happens when I try to start Firefox. No icon on the taskbar. Firefox process seems to start for like 1-2 seconds and then it disappears. I have tried to start it both from start menu and installation directory (firefox.exe). Also I tried to start Firefox in safe mode by holding shift key down while I was in installation directory.

Windows 10 Creators Update is the latest milestone in Windows 10. Take a quick look at https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexpe.. ... TCWoYCE.97 The update was finished.

I followed your steps to do a clean reinstall but it didn't help. Next I chose to reboot in safe mode. In safe mode Firefox indeed opens up. What should I do next to get it working while not being in safe mode?

EDIT: I disabled hardware acceleration, rebooted normally and Firefox still won't start. I temporarily disabled antivirus (Windows Defender) but that didn't help.

EDIT 2: I opened up Windows Event Viewer, chose Windows logs and opened Application log. When I try to start Firefox, it gives me following error (I translated this from Finnish to English): Faulty application: firefox.exe, version: 53.0.2.6333, timestamp: XXXXX (timestamp in hex) Faulty module name: INTERE~2.DLL, version: 0.0.0.0, timestamp: XXXX (again in hex)

This INTERE~2.DLL pointed to, what it seems to be, an adware called 'Interenet Optimizer' under ProgramData directory. Oddly enough Malwarebytes nor Windows Defender has ever noticed this! I am currently running AdwCleaner from Malwarebytes to see if it can get rid of the adware. But again, I had no troubles with Firefox before Creators Update, and after the update was done I was right away opening Firefox.

EDIT 3/CONCLUSION: Alright, AdwCleaner did the trick. So it was the adware which most likely got faulty during Creators Update and prevented Firefox to "

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » October 22, 2017, 8:49 pm

Ah sorry, ignore the above. I seem to have resolved it, by going to Mozilla Firefox website and under their help section - when updates go wrong, - downloaded Firefox Installer. That then resolved it.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 22, 2017, 9:26 pm

I don't think Windows helps itself much with its' customers when it does these major upgrades.
However, Microsoft want you to use the Edge Browser in Windows.
If you do it then records huge amounts of user data on Internet use. It can then use this data either itself or resells to third parties.
Google, Microsoft, Apple & Facebook make their money out of adverts, Targeted adverts bring in higher revenue than simple spam, hence the need for user data.
I bet Microsoft Edge would have worked straight out the box after the upgrade & probably been happy to transfer all your favourites as well!!
Microsoft get very little added value data if you use Firefox, hence the odd difficulty thrown in your way is only to be expected... :D

DoctorFix
udonmap.com

Post by DoctorFix » November 2, 2017, 9:07 pm

BobHelm wrote:
October 22, 2017, 9:26 pm
I don't think Windows helps itself much with its' customers when it does these major upgrades.
However, Microsoft want you to use the Edge Browser in Windows.
If you do it then records huge amounts of user data on Internet use. It can then use this data either itself or resells to third parties.
Google, Microsoft, Apple & Facebook make their money out of adverts, Targeted adverts bring in higher revenue than simple spam, hence the need for user data.
I bet Microsoft Edge would have worked straight out the box after the upgrade & probably been happy to transfer all your favourites as well!!
Microsoft get very little added value data if you use Firefox, hence the odd difficulty thrown in your way is only to be expected... :D
I've seen lots of people praising the Brave browser seeing as its supposed to block advertising out of the box... or something to that effect. I've used it on my android phone and it has sped some sites up I must admit.

fredwilliams
udonmap.com

Post by fredwilliams » November 19, 2017, 6:04 pm

Remove with Control Panel, restart and then reinstall from mozilla.com (proper), making doubly sure that you get Firefox for Win10 64 (or just AVOID it and go for Opera, instead.)

gprit
udonmap.com

Post by gprit » November 21, 2017, 1:23 pm

I ditched Firefox as it has become so bloated and east memory (around 6-700mb even if only a few tabs open). OPERA is far superior and uses around 100mb usually. Can lock ads and has an inbuilt VPN (ctrl/shift/N) so sites cannot track what you browse.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 23, 2017, 7:13 pm

arjay wrote:
October 22, 2017, 8:49 pm
Ah sorry, ignore the above. I seem to have resolved it, by going to Mozilla Firefox website and under their help section - when updates go wrong, - downloaded Firefox Installer. That then resolved it.
Firefox has always been a pain in the arse when it gets corrupted and needs reinstalling since the Uninstall feature leaves stuff in Windows registry. Thus a clean re-install doesn't solve issues because the uninstall was incomplete. In older versions, one had to do about half a dozen registry edits to clear the dodgy installation out before the clean reinstall.

If they now have a downloadable Firefox Installer, I assume it does all the registry cleaning automatically. Why they don't have that in the regular, bundled uninstaller beats me.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”