John's budget build

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Re: John's budget build

Post by ajarnudon » October 15, 2017, 7:57 pm

I am working back in BKK again, and have driven back to Udon today. Hope we have just about seen the last of the rain so I can get some work done at the block. Firstly to waterproof the inside of the retaining wall (Flintkote), put up the plastic sheeting, instal the drainage and then backfill. The fill in the garage section will have to be compacted to support the floor slab, aided by five transverse beam footings. As soon as the backfill is out of the way, four of the house posts will go in as they will also support the lean-to garage roof. I 've got a two week window before it's back to BKK and work.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » October 15, 2017, 8:13 pm

Well done John,

I'm sure you will be kept busy. Must be nice working in Thailand and closer to home.
What industry are you in?
I'm persevering through the hard economic down turn times in the construction industry, now that the companies can screw you, not in money but for me in the R&R roster.
I feel we are both working to the same goal of one day sitting like all the other old guys in Udon :lol: and enjoying, as you put it earlier in your thread, the serenity of having a cuppa and looking over the rice paddies and perhaps doing the school run, looking for a special gravy mix, a roast dinner, and a cheap beer. :-k Well actually I wont be looking for any of those but will do the school run. \:D/

Good luck with the house mate.

ajarnudon
udonmap.com

Post by ajarnudon » October 19, 2017, 7:31 pm

Thanks Barney. I think I am going to enjoy looking out on this from my back deck. I'm talking about the paddy fields of course. Bumper rice crop this year - some of that greenery is higher than my 175 cms.
Rear view.jpg
Finally got some work done at our land today. Third and final coat of Flintcote bituminous emulsion going on to waterproof the inside of the retaining wall. At the bottom is the first section of drainage in place - to be covered in crushed aggregate.
19Oct2017.jpg

sunwavessand

Post by sunwavessand » October 24, 2017, 4:43 am

Awesome! This is pretty inspiring.

Randall
udonmap.com

Post by Randall » November 13, 2017, 3:45 am

I bet this will be stupid ? why paint a wall? cant the skim coat of cement have color added? OR if no paint wy coat a retaining wall with waterproofing? 3 Coats may not seal all the voids and seems like so much work... Paint wont last ..
I can see the need for a good french drain to keep the hydrostatic pressure off the wall but what is the worst thing if the wall wicks up and has some effervescence?

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » November 13, 2017, 12:55 pm

The drain looks like a good thing.personally I wouldn't of painted below ground level.i would of backfilled will gravel,broken blocks and let it breath.above ground I would definitely painted and the top used a primer and roof paint as they don't use coping skills out here.if the top of the wall is fully protected from water/damp you won't get a capillary action of rising damp.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » November 13, 2017, 2:46 pm

Guys, John and wife visited my house ( with beer I might add, thanks) and I think this is his short length of home made agriculture drain, drilled holes and shade cloth covered and tied on to allow any excess water at the wall to drain a way. He will fill this in. I may be wrong as the beer kicked in as the conversation went on.
He said at the time he couldn't find the ag pipe in town.

Return to “House & Land”