Ben Foakes (Surrey)
Dawid Malan (Middlesex)
Craig Overton (Somerset)
Ben Stokes (Durham)
Mark Stoneman (Surrey)
James Vince (Hampshire)
Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)
No Mark Wood, Jake Ball takes his spot.
Recalls for James Vince and Gary Ballance.
A call-up for Craig Overton.
Ben Foakes over Jos Buttler.

Sadly, not a very awe inspiring squad.
The problems at Number 1 & 3 remain, suggesting that the ball is likely to be very new most times Captain Root comes to the crease..
I guess Dawid Malan did enough to have a go at number 5, but hardly going to set the Australian bowler's knees knocking.
Ben Stokes is named as vice-captain, but after his arrest in Bristol after a punch up could mean he won't even make the trip - which would certainly blow any lingering hopes of making at least a fist of the competition out of the water..

wazza
udonmap.com

Re: 2017 Ashes Tour

Post by wazza » September 28, 2017, 10:16 am

Luckily the ACB managed to sign a few up recently to play, think they get bonuses , if we can make it to Day 3

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » September 29, 2017, 8:12 am

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/ben ... yr1zr.html

Plus this just released video on line.

Gornnnnnnn

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 29, 2017, 8:27 am

Ben Stokes and Alex Hales dropped by England after Bristol incident
http://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/41433110
Ben Stokes and Alex Hales will not be considered by England for international cricket until further notice after they were involved in an incident near a Bristol nightclub.
Some would say that dropping Hales would be a plus.. :D
Stokes would be a huge loss, seeing as England rely on number 6 on to make any sort of defensible target..

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » September 29, 2017, 2:06 pm

BobHelm wrote:
September 27, 2017, 4:28 pm

Ben Stokes is named as vice-captain, but after his arrest in Bristol after a punch up could mean he won't even make the trip - which would certainly blow any lingering hopes of making at least a fist of the competition out of the water..
Bob,your dry sense of humour may not go down well with the old dour members of the MCC but is much appreciated by us Udon sports fanatics ! :D
Young Stokes was certainly making a "fist of it" in Bristol but I think it will all blow over somehow and he will join the Ashes tour party.
As for the touring squad......
How many times has Gary Balance been recalled after failing previously ? 3 or 4 ?
James Vince averaged under 20 last summer against Sri Lanka and Pakistan.....how will he fare on Australian wickets?
I don't know much about Ben Foakes but he averages 42 in county cricket,so may well have a role to play as a batsman rather than a wicket keeper.......Buttler a bit,unlucky,though as he can be an explosive batsman on his day.
Also don't know much about Craig Overton.....an all rounder who I think was unlikely to feature much in the Tests but that could change if Stokes doesn't go.
I think a fully fit Mark Wood would have been a cert to go but he is still having problems with his ankle.
Roland-Jones and Hameed were not considered because of injury but could well have made the tour party if fully fit.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » September 29, 2017, 2:30 pm

Wow Zidane, only one name mentioned with any positive thought in your post and that's a wicket who maybe can bat. (Oh for the days of Adam Guilcrist). It would be nice to see a young Pom have a break out first couple of games, then see him crushed on our later summer hard pitches.
I'm sure once the footy grand finals are over in Aussie this weekend some serious ashes banter may start.
5-0 aussies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » September 29, 2017, 4:34 pm

The sponsorship of the next ashes tour and subsequent following Indai tests was confirmed with a fund manger company called Magellan. Taking over from the Commonwealth Bank. Gotta be money in cricket I suppose, would not have thought so with the aussie cricketer's clash with cricket Australia recently.
The hiso members of the test venues can sit back in the leather chairs and rest easy now.

http://www.afr.com/business/banking-and ... 815-gxwc6b

panmotor
udonmap.com

Post by panmotor » September 29, 2017, 8:19 pm

[/quote]

How many times has Gary Balance been recalled after failing previously ? 3 or 4 ?
[/quote]

Ballance is never a number 3 so cannot understand why the England selectors persisted with playing him there. Stick him at number 4 or 5 and he will do a decent job. I could be wrong but Yorkshire used to play Root at 3 and Ballance in the middle order.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » November 4, 2017, 2:26 pm

Today is the first day of Englands tour of Australia and they are playing a Western Australia XI in Perth.
Cook was out second ball and Root also failed but the rest have done OK and England are 239-4 at tea.

England Innings

Cook c How b Coulter-Nile 0
Stoneman c Hobson b Morris 85
Vince c Turner b Hardie 82
Root c How b Hardie 9
Malan not out 34
Balance not out 25
Extras 4
Total
(62.0 overs) 239-for 4 wickets

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » November 5, 2017, 8:43 am

England finished the day on 349-6.
Malawan retired out on 56 and Balance retired out on 51.......not out batsmen are Bairstow on 36 and Woakes on 25.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » November 5, 2017, 9:50 am

Declaration and the WA team now in.
True practice match for the poms letting their top order get a feel for the wacca pitch.
The young Aussie boys will take this serious though. It's not often you get to play against the old enemy.

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » November 5, 2017, 11:22 am

I find it strange that in this modern age of wicket doctoring and taking every fair and unfair advantage available that we allow the poms to start the tour in Perth at the WACA ground. It's hot and the wicket is bouncy making it the perfect place to acclimatise and prepare for Brisbane. They should be down in Hobart playing the Tassie boys on a low and slow special in that 14c pommie like climate.
Truth is we have a really nonsense team and we will need everything to go our way this summer. Still think we will win 5 - 0 but it will be a lot closer than many are predicting \:D/
Watch Me!!

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » November 5, 2017, 12:53 pm

marjamlew wrote:I find it strange that in this modern age of wicket doctoring and taking every fair and unfair advantage available that we allow the poms to start the tour in Perth at the WACA ground. It's hot and the wicket is bouncy making it the perfect place to acclimatise and prepare for Brisbane. They should be down in Hobart playing the Tassie boys on a low and slow special in that 14c pommie like climate.
Truth is we have a really **** team and we will need everything to go our way this summer. Still think we will win 5 - 0 but it will be a lot closer than many are predicting \:D/
Absolutely agree marjamlew.
Give them nothing to practice on.
What's wrong with taking the game to the regional areas like Alice Springs( they can go and climb the rock) or Canberra, they can go
visit the war memorial. Any where but the main grounds.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 5, 2017, 1:40 pm

Barney wrote:
November 5, 2017, 12:53 pm
marjamlew wrote:I find it strange that in this modern age of wicket doctoring and taking every fair and unfair advantage available that we allow the poms to start the tour in Perth at the WACA ground. It's hot and the wicket is bouncy making it the perfect place to acclimatise and prepare for Brisbane. They should be down in Hobart playing the Tassie boys on a low and slow special in that 14c pommie like climate.
Truth is we have a really **** team and we will need everything to go our way this summer. Still think we will win 5 - 0 but it will be a lot closer than many are predicting \:D/
Absolutely agree marjamlew.
Give them nothing to practice on.
What's wrong with taking the game to the regional areas like Alice Springs( they can go and climb the rock) or Canberra, they can go
visit the war memorial. Any where but the main grounds.

And where exactly is "THE TONY IRELAND STADIUM TOWNSVILLE" sounds like it should be a stock car track in the American mid west :lol:

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » November 5, 2017, 1:44 pm

Im predicting 5-0 also

havent decided which team though

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » November 5, 2017, 2:30 pm

I see the poms have started the tricks with resting Moheen Ali the number 6 batsman and part time spinner. Got him in cotton wool to make certain they shore up the fragile middle order.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 5, 2017, 2:49 pm

To commemorate Great war veterans (remembrance week) and the 85th Anniv of the 1932/33 tour, a snippet from my 2nd cousin 2x rem William Crudgington on the family tree
William John 1886 presents Douglas Jardine with Silver tray to hold the Ashes Feb 1933.jpg
I wonder what OTHER gestures Mr Jardine got in Australia that year? :lol:

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » November 5, 2017, 3:44 pm

So Jardine was a draft dodger then LOL

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 5, 2017, 4:13 pm

wazza wrote:
November 5, 2017, 3:44 pm
So Jardine was a draft dodger then LOL
Close wazza but no cigar .....

He joined up (Territorials) BEFORE the start of WW2, served in France (inc Dunkerque) and then in India.

Thought it was the Aussies who were dodging the draft as the balls whistled past their ears :lol:

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » November 5, 2017, 4:21 pm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-05/h ... ls/9120604

Oz media pumping up the Quickies !!

Return to “World Sports”