Remote Control Gate Opener/Closer

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
milkman
udonmap.com

Remote Control Gate Opener/Closer

Post by milkman » September 21, 2017, 10:34 pm

Guys, The wife tells me all our neighbors have been robbed recently! And we have a far nicer home than any of them, so I imagine we're on every robbers' list!

We already have a camera system, panic alarm, window guards, motion sensitive lights. Anything else you'd recommend? Only place I can think of as a weak spot is the front gate. We're often in our bedroom and leave the front gate and front door latched but unlocked. I suggested to my wife that we lock the front gate and hand out keys to all our relatives, but she didn't like that idea much. But she might be okay with an automatic gate opener.

The front gate is quite large, maybe 7 feet high and 10 feet long and it's on rollers. Any gate opener/ installer you'd recommend, and about what might it cost? Thanks for any help you can give.

Jello
udonmap.com

Re: Remote Control Gate Opener/Closer

Post by Jello » September 22, 2017, 6:58 am

milkman wrote:
September 21, 2017, 10:34 pm
We already have a camera system, panic alarm, window guards, motion sensitive lights. Anything else you'd recommend?
Sounds like you well protected already. Was your security system installed by a pro you can recommend?

Our only security for the last 6 years is a small dog that makes a lot of noise when a stranger comes around. Haven't been robbed....yet. 8-[
UFF DA!

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » September 22, 2017, 2:35 pm

Lazada 15,000b Italian made and only a few days delivery.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » September 22, 2017, 6:08 pm

used someone on "Line" name is "hometechauto" did a good job installing an "BSM" auto gate. Love it, but do not think it solves your problem? When its closed, can't move without a remote and/or key.

Have you thought of having a door bell?

I have one, but been disconnected for years, but it is on the list of things to be fixed. :D

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » September 22, 2017, 6:46 pm

RLTrader wrote:
September 22, 2017, 6:08 pm
used someone on "Line" name is "hometechauto" did a good job installing an "BSM" auto gate. Love it, but do not think it solves your problem? When its closed, can't move without a remote and/or key.

I have one, but been disconnected for years, but it is on the list of things to be fixed. :D
Talking of which,does anyone know where I can find a brass bell like you see in a bar.i have a large plot and would a door bell wouldn't be any good.got a cow bell but would like a normal brass one.

milkman
udonmap.com

Post by milkman » September 22, 2017, 8:48 pm

Was your security system installed by a pro you can recommend?

Jello, You're in luck. My wife really likes the guy who put in and services our cameras. Says he set up the cameras to feed to a cable TV. And- now she tells me!- he also does remote control gates. Aside from he did a good job, she likes that he doesn't have a set charge just for showing up, just charges for what he does. His name is Prasit and his number 0819753554.

You know what I'd like is one of those signs you put in the front yard in LA that say "Protected by Brinks"- or whoever. We've got cameras, but I'm not sure the bad guys will know that and I think it's a good deterant for them to know that.

milkman
udonmap.com

Post by milkman » September 23, 2017, 4:32 am

Guys, Shhhhhhh... I'm going to try and sneak this in here under the wrong topic, as its only going to benefit a few of you so I don't want to cause a big stir... Do you like British Dorset Cereals? Specifically Cranberry, Cherry, and Almond Dorset Cereal? Yummy! Well the regular price of a box is 299 baht, and it's for sale now at the Mall for 125 baht! Usually when I go to Tops and something was 299 baht, they might mark it down to 289 baht or somesuch. So 299 to 125 is a giant discount! Don't know how much they have, and it'll probably be gone soon, so didn't want to make a big announcement. Let's just keep this here, off-topic, between us...Shhhhhhhhhh.

Tracechain
udonmap.com

Post by Tracechain » September 23, 2017, 4:34 am

You can order on Lazada door bells which require no electricity or batteries for the outside transmitter. The inside receiver plugs into any wall outlet. Mine runs about 80 meters from start to finish. Works great and survived all the recent rains. Also could be used as a summons if one were bedridden or something within your quarters.
Hit 'em hard, hit 'em fast, hit 'em with the one they don't expect, and just keep hitting.

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » September 23, 2017, 6:33 am

So, after you hire a "professional" to install your security system, and they know every last detail of it...... do you have to kill them? :lol:

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » September 23, 2017, 8:34 am

RLTrader wrote:
September 22, 2017, 6:08 pm

This might be a solution. When the gate guy came to do an estimate, he asked if I wanted an electric eye, so that when someone came to the gate, it would open. I said right, just the thing I needed for the soi dogs.

But it sounds like something that you just might want to look into, as the estimate is free. One would think it would be something you could turn off, like at night.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 23, 2017, 9:14 am

While I was in the UK earlier this year, these products were being heavily advertised on the TV.

Video doorbells that enabled you to see who was ringing at your door via your smartphone - so even while you were not at home..
https://ring.com/video-doorbell-2

I am sure that there are cheap versions available via the normal Thai on line stores..

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 23, 2017, 5:48 pm

BobHelm wrote:
September 23, 2017, 9:14 am
While I was in the UK earlier this year, these products were being heavily advertised on the TV.

Video doorbells that enabled you to see who was ringing at your door via your smartphone - so even while you were not at home..
https://ring.com/video-doorbell-2

I am sure that there are cheap versions available via the normal Thai on line stores..
Being heavy advertised on TV would be a reason to be suspicious IMNSHO. If it's really good it doesn't need heavy advertising.

You will find that that particular version has a number of problems https://www.youtube.com/user/Techmoan has a reasonably detailed review and he would not use it.

I think that the cheap versions would be likely to be worse.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 23, 2017, 6:17 pm

I take it you mean this review??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VvTzmp08OE

Hardly 'huge problems' were they?
As he says at the end. A good technical product, well made, but not for him.
His reasons for not keeping it had nothing at all to do with the product, only the way his personal circumstances were!!

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 24, 2017, 10:40 am

BobHelm wrote:
September 23, 2017, 6:17 pm
I take it you mean this review??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VvTzmp08OE

Hardly 'huge problems' were they?
As he says at the end. A good technical product, well made, but not for him.
His reasons for not keeping it had nothing at all to do with the product, only the way his personal circumstances were!!
The fact that it didn't reliably connect to his phones, the fact that when it did it was not an instantaneous connection even on his own network. Either of these are, to me, huge problems.

His conclusion
Regardless of the extra features that a WiFi doorbell has, there's one simple function that I need it to do..alert me that someone is at the door. However it appears that in the hi-tech world of the WiFi doorbell, this particular feature seems a low down on the list of priorites.
But up to you, if you want a doorbell that doesn't alert you to someone at the door.
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 24, 2017, 11:20 am

It didn't reliably connect to his phone because he was using the battery, rather than mains power & ,when on battery, the device 'went to sleep' & so was slow for the first user.
He quite clearly says this during his demo.

Still if you want to see problems where solutions exist then I guess that is your issue... :D

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » September 24, 2017, 11:48 am

I for one think if I installed one outside my gate, working or not, it would be gone within a couple of days.

Hell they steal the brass water fittings just after the water meter from mine and my neighbors, think others were all hit, we now have pvc.

Didn't read the review, but my security cameras send to my phone with almost zero delay, 90% of time wifi or phone data connect. just saying.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 24, 2017, 12:54 pm

BobHelm wrote:
September 24, 2017, 11:20 am
It didn't reliably connect to his phone because he was using the battery, rather than mains power & ,when on battery, the device 'went to sleep' & so was slow for the first user.
He quite clearly says this during his demo.

Still if you want to see problems where solutions exist then I guess that is your issue... :D
The problem exists, the solution does not when using that system only.

If you would like to look in the comments section, that was his guess and as been since shown not to be the case.
QUICK UPDATE If you look though the comments you'll see a Mike Getson commenting. He's has experienced the same delays as myself. However he has his Ring device permanently wired into the power from his old doorbell, so my theory about the battery powered Ring possibly being slower to wake-up isn't accurate. Both the wire powered and battery powered devices both can suffer from the delayed ring - and the delayed motion activation...and recording.
And there is another problem that it can drop its WiFi connection and has no notification that it's down.

Still if you think it's great do spend money on it.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 24, 2017, 1:19 pm

If I wanted one I would certainly not let that video, or the comments, put me off.
Rather like letting 1 terrible Trip Advisor review put me off a Hotel or Restaurant.
But, it would appear, we differ in that respect.
So be it.. :D

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » September 24, 2017, 3:23 pm

we've got a wireless doorbell that works quite well. Unfortunately most of the locals have no idea what the ringer button on the gatepost is for so when selling their wares (mostly vegetables) will stand at the gate yelling to get our attention in the house...
Dave

ytrewq
udonmap.com

Post by ytrewq » September 25, 2017, 2:57 am

Our remote sliding gate opener cost THB 10k at Global House 5 years ago. 1/2 HP and slides our ~1 ton steel gate nicely. Never a problem. Love it - especially during rain storms.

Global House also has (had?) the swing gate motor. If you go there and don't see it, just ask at the order desk.

==================

IMHO, external cameras are ridiculous. In high crime areas back in the world, burglars target houses with cameras FIRST because they are an advertisement that there are things inside worth spending that much money to "protect". Burglars would also steal the cameras and resell them. A total joke. The owner gets to see their home being burgled, and that's about it! Not good for anything else like catching the burglars, unless the perpetrators are too stupid to spot the cameras and take countermeasures.

If you are going to use cameras at all, use the camouflaged internal motion activated cameras. Teddy bear, picture, ornament, etc. Those do work for both identifying the burglars and alerting you that you are being burgled. Again, cameras are only useful if the burglars are stoooopid (but, TiT!).

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”