SIN TAX INCREASE

General Udon Thani topics only!
AlexO
udonmap.com

Re: SIN TAX INCREASE

Post by AlexO » September 18, 2017, 8:46 pm

Was in Tops Nong Han today. The cold fridge had Big Chang 54, Leo 56 and Singa 59 all per big bottle. Have never yet checked against the village shops who used to be about 50 BAHT Good news was no increase in cost of Bells Whiskys or 5Ltr. red wine boxes since last week so the ATM took a bit of a battering. Wife thinks that is OK to go and have a spending spree. See divorce proceedings coming.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » September 18, 2017, 10:30 pm

malc123 wrote:
September 18, 2017, 7:48 pm
Brought Leo at my mums and pops shop tonight, before was 50baht a big bottle, tonight wanted 60 baht for a big bottle, think they have just lost a customer.

malc123
As you may know they take any excuse to have one over.dont bloody drink there again.rip off toss pots.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » September 20, 2017, 1:23 am

My wife, who runs a village shop, went for new stock of beer today and price was up 6 baht per BOX. i.e. 50 satang a bottle. But maybe old stock. Of course, this may not be the price in 1 month's time ....

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » September 20, 2017, 2:30 am

seems someone came up with a new tax rate worked out by times 9,divide by 8.75 and then add a random number on the end, everyone nodded and agreed with the minister of dumb ideas as they had no idea of what he was on about. well its arrived and not a single person knows what' s going on. except the minister of dumb ideas
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 21, 2017, 2:56 pm

Was in Bkk last Monday n Tuesday and no importers were taking products out of customs / bond as .... here we go !!

No one at the department could actually accurately work out how the new tax increases and changes in product tariff categories are to be calculated .. TIT .

This episode is not over .. nothing is cast in stone yet and im hearing in the wind that changes are afoot to the already proposed and announced rates .

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » September 21, 2017, 3:04 pm

A major Australian importer has had ll their containers put on hold. Nobody in customs knows how to calculate the sugar tax on syrups....or Ginger Beer 375 ml bottles etc.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 21, 2017, 4:03 pm

I'm not much on alcohol these days......a quart of vodka a month for medicinal purposes. But when I went into the Tops liquor section today, I expected to have to walk through a wall of cumulus and cumulonimbus clouds covering the floor. Much to my surprise, the price of my bottle of vodka is unchanged. I inquired whether it was old stock.....but the clerk told me old stock new stock doesn't matter, the new tax applies to all.

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » September 21, 2017, 4:22 pm

Went to Kineree yesterday. Big Chang 60 Baht. Small Chang 40 Baht. Called into shop in village, 55 Big Chang & 45 Big tin Chang. None of them knew the new price.
Last edited by Wee Jimmy on September 21, 2017, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 21, 2017, 4:42 pm

wazza wrote:
September 21, 2017, 3:04 pm
A major Australian importer has had ll their containers put on hold. Nobody in customs knows how to calculate the sugar tax on syrups....or Ginger Beer 375 ml bottles etc.
Wazza ... all the importers i know and the few deal with have all stopped taking products out of customs/bond ... as you say it appears they have not been informed on just how to calculate the recent proposed tax increases and the fact some products have changed category status , sugar , syrups fruit based products etc is compounding the problem ..

Many small vendors mom n pops etc are simply profiteering by putting up their beers already when its obvious these where purchased prior to the increases .. the main buyers/players in the market such as supermarkets etc have not implemented the increases yet as they are not yet 100% confirmed even tho announced .. i was talking to the main buyer for 7/11 Monday and he confirmed until all is clear they are not changing any prices in the stores nationwide...

HOWEVER on the flip side .... :shock: SOME BARS IN BKK ACTUALLY PUT THEIR PRICES UP 20 BT PER BEER AT MIDNIGHT ON THE 16TH ...The Kings castle group in Patpong for one did this as well as many others .

TIT

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 21, 2017, 5:33 pm

Well it appears that some officials are aware that some traders will try & cash in on the tax changes..
Deputy Commerce Minister Sontirat Sontijirawong led officials from the Department of Internal Trade on a visit to wholesale and retail outlets in Nonthaburi province in order to check on their pricing of alcohol and tobacco products. The inspection was aimed to deter price gouging on the items following the excise tax increase on September 16.
Being found guilty of such an offence would appear to be rather risking it.
Vendors found guilty of overpricing or refusal of sale will be subject to a jail term of no more than seven years or a fine not exceeding 140,000 baht or both.
For anyone being subjected to such a stance there is a Hotline number to report it to the Department of Internal Trade

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » September 21, 2017, 6:05 pm

Don't complain, just returned from Aussie and the local Dan Murphy wholesale supplier has Thai beer real cheap if you want to drink Thai ale in Sydney.
. Small bottles.
Attachments
chang.jpg
Singha.jpg

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » September 21, 2017, 6:20 pm

Chang in Tassie 25% heaper than Boags

goodison
udonmap.com

Post by goodison » September 22, 2017, 7:26 am

Have to say Barney, your pix. Look extremely inviting, did you manage to pack a few in your luggage? Or is that "Coal to Newcastle" Syndrome?

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » September 22, 2017, 7:45 am

No one at the department could actually accurately work out how the new tax increases and changes in product tariff categories are to be calculated .. TIT .
That's because the idiot who gazetted these excise measures has based it on the RETAIL price. Who, other than the street vendor, knows what their retail price is? = :confused:

My liquor vendor, in Ban Dung, has stabilized her price at 584 Baht / box for Leo. That is only a 14 Baht increase on her post excise date price. Another major vendor here has it at 590 Baht.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 22, 2017, 9:21 am

wazza wrote:
September 21, 2017, 6:20 pm
Chang in Tassie 25% heaper than Boags
...and Boags in Benchwarmers is cheaper than it is in Tasssie.

(probably isn't really but since we are into apples and oranges comparisons)

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 22, 2017, 9:23 am

Barney wrote:
September 21, 2017, 6:05 pm
Don't complain, just returned from Aussie and the local Dan Murphy wholesale supplier has Thai beer real cheap if you want to drink Thai ale in Sydney.
. Small bottles.
Hey Barney, looks like a couple of 5-packs there! Is that the "16% off" special offer or what?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 22, 2017, 9:32 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
September 21, 2017, 4:42 pm

HOWEVER on the flip side .... :shock: SOME BARS IN BKK ACTUALLY PUT THEIR PRICES UP 20 BT PER BEER AT MIDNIGHT ON THE 16TH ...The Kings castle group in Patpong for one did this as well as many others .

TIT
The Kings group bars have been chock full of ladyboys for years, but DM knows this already. One always has to pay extra for the extra meat and 2 veg.

I think I may have perforated the last, loy percent, ching-ching, K i n g's Castle pooying in the late summer of 1988. I barfined and imported her to Pattaya where she tried to pull the 5 AM "have to go to temple with sister because baby die now" rigmarole so I said seeya. She sat outside the gate for the best part of 20 minutes before the penny dropped that she wasn't in Kansas anymore and toughed it out for a few extra days. The days before smartphones (and smart go-go dancers) were so much more fun.

Benchwarmer10
udonmap.com

Post by Benchwarmer10 » September 22, 2017, 10:23 am

Actually, Tam, Boags Premium at BW is cheaper over the bar than it is over the bar in Tassie. Bottle shops are cheaper, needless to say.

Wazza, anyway, Chang could be 100% cheaper than Boags, and I'd still prefer Boags.

Cheers

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 23, 2017, 6:48 pm

Tax Schedule
Attachments
1-400.jpg

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 26, 2017, 4:37 pm

Latest news n info ive got ref the tax increases FROM BKK..

DM is planning a trip to the metropolis to stock up and was informed It appears not one of the many alcohol importers has released any products from customs bond since the 16th of Sept , also non of the Thai brewers are allowing lorries out of the breweries with new beers produced after the 16th (this is the point the tax is paid) and now are amassing huge stocks within the breweries ... this is leading to shortages of core Thai beers already happening in some places including Samui n Phuket ..this could spread nationwide as who knows when customs will make a final calculation decision . I cant see the CED running too long with this as they have not received any duty on alcohol at all since the 15th September .

I cannot comment if this seems to be a pressure tactic by both the brewers n importers or just everyone waiting n edging their bets it just seems crazy that such a huge decision could have been made without prior calculations being done , the addition of new tariffs and products changing categories is compounding the issue ..... TIT .

Suffice to say any retail businesses that have increased prices is simply profiteering .

DM

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”