Well water smells like a dead rat

General Udon Thani topics only!
siamsam5555

Well water smells like a dead rat

Post by siamsam5555 » September 5, 2017, 7:24 pm

Hi All ,
Its only just happened but our pump water smells like a dead rat is in it , there is nothing in the small holding tank and the deep well piping is not open is fairly closed off and nothing can fall in , its been perfect for 6 years no problem until now , the well whole is meant to be about 30 meters down , seem to be plenty of water so not sure what to do.
Any good suggestions ? or anyone had a similar problem , we are near Phen.

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Well water smells like a dead rat

Post by tamada » September 5, 2017, 8:03 pm

I am not sure if "fairly closed of" cuts it when it comes to rats. I wouldn't be surprised if a critter has indeed gotten in, couldn't get out, died and is stinking up the hole.

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » September 5, 2017, 11:04 pm

I have a 30mtr deepwell , which sometimes gives off an odour , ( but weird as it may sound only on one tap, and i have twice replaced all the pipes )this never occurs in the wet season only in the dry season , obvious reasons , low water table etc but that dosen't explain the one tap ,

boes
udonmap.com

Post by boes » September 5, 2017, 11:16 pm

IMHO if it smells dead rat it probably is a dead rat´- don't drink it get it analyzed....good luck (been there)

siamsam5555

Post by siamsam5555 » September 6, 2017, 9:51 am

where do you get the water tested , I have always thought about getting it tested just to see how good it is but didn't know where to go , I'm going to drain the plastic tank today as Ive been away 4 days and then refill and see how it smells then , maybe get some clhorine to put in there .

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » September 7, 2017, 11:21 am

the tank may have a vent hole on the top that isn't screened.. This would allow small animals/reptiles to get into the tank. One time we had a snake slither through that one inch hole and die in the tank.. We had to drain and pressure wash the tank and then disinfect it with bleach... I bought some 3 inch by 3 inch adhesive screen patches and screened the vent hole after that experience...
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 7, 2017, 4:15 pm

If you type/say "regional medical sciences center udonthani" into google map, it'll show you directions to the testing site. We've had our well tested twice over 20 years. The last time, 2013, cost 1500 baht. I don't remember the details of what you need, but I believe it's 2 sterilized 5 liter containers of fresh water. You can ask for your results in English.......you'll get a call after a few days to pick up the typed letter.
We tested for e-coli, cloriform, pesticides. But you can add on for heavy metals etc at an added cost.

tigerryan
udonmap.com

Post by tigerryan » September 8, 2017, 9:48 am

No disrespect to the comments about having your water tested but you don't need a lab confirmation that your water taste like a dead animal. This problem is not that unusual. You either have a bio problem with your well water or you have a rotten floating animal. The only way to deal with this is to get your local well drilling guy to help you. First ask him what he thinks is going on. The only way to deal with a dead animal in a well it is to pull the pump and airlift the casing volume of water. The driller will insert his drill string into the bottom of the well hit the air compressor and blow the well out a few times. After the well is evacuated a gallon of regular household bleach will be added then you simply circulate the water back down the well with a garden hose for an hour or so then let it set over night. In the morning pump out the chlorine water until it o longer taste like bleach. Its going to cost a few bucks to have this done but honestly you don't want to live a single day waiting for a rat to totally degrade into soup in your well.

siamsam5555

Post by siamsam5555 » September 26, 2017, 8:33 pm

Thanks for all the good advice , hopeful ly got it sorted :D

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”