Why does Udon Map print “never drink tap water”?

General Udon Thani topics only!
frankieboy37
udonmap.com

Why does Udon Map print “never drink tap water”?

Post by frankieboy37 » September 2, 2017, 8:53 pm

I ventured into the “Useful Information” section of The Udon Thani Guide issue 42 and under the heading Health & Fitness appears the categorical statement: "Never drink tap water and always use bottled water, which is readily available and inexpensive."

I am particularly interested in the opening phrase “never drink the tap water”. As the creators of the document can the Udon Map organization provide us with information as to whether that is based on a reliable source (if so which?) or based on an opinion (if so whose?)?

macca46
udonmap.com

Re: Why does Udon Map print “never drink tap water”?

Post by macca46 » September 2, 2017, 9:05 pm

For many years now the Health Authority of Thailand have issued warnings not to drink tap water the same as accommodation houses that is why you always get complimentary drinking water if you visit some of the the villages around UT just fill up a glass then you will understand, you will never see a Thai drinking tap water.

If you want to drink the tap water in Thailand go ahead up to you then you will have your question answered.

jimjay
udonmap.com

Post by jimjay » September 3, 2017, 1:09 am

frankieboy37 wrote:
September 2, 2017, 8:53 pm
I ventured into the “Useful Information” section of The Udon Thani Guide issue 42 and under the heading Health & Fitness appears the categorical statement: "Never drink tap water and always use bottled water, which is readily available and inexpensive."

I am particularly interested in the opening phrase “never drink the tap water”. As the creators of the document can the Udon Map organization provide us with information as to whether that is based on a reliable source (if so which?) or based on an opinion (if so whose?)?
As Macca notes: You could become an instant authority on the subject by drinking some Udon Thani tap water and letting us know how it went. \:D/

I am wiling to donate 500thb to the cause.

MauroR

Post by MauroR » September 3, 2017, 4:50 am

.... and for Wine?
Carpe Diem!

dingdong
udonmap.com

Post by dingdong » September 3, 2017, 6:13 am

Macca and others I beg to differ regarding "you will never see a Thai drinking tap water."

If you will note Thais use TAP WATER everyday through the consumption of Ice.
I am by no means an expert but have been in the business of producing potable water in my work and I am quite positive that chlorination or the use of UV light is not on the table here in Thailand when producing water for consumption in any form.
I also disagree when people drink from a bottle that they have purchased to think that it is safe for consumption.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » September 3, 2017, 6:49 am

The primary reason for not drinking tap water here in Thailand is because it's delivered by a low pressure system which will suck in contaminants as the water travels through the pipes. Water delivery in the US and other developed countries is by a high pressure system which will not suck in contaminates. Anyone who has been in this country for more than an hour should have realized that the Thai water delivery systems are rife with leaks of all sorts. The typical repair by someone who has punctured a water pipe is to wrap it with a piece of inner tube which is totally inadequate. Additionally, water pipes here in Thailand are buried right alongside and inside drainage lines. These drainage lines are full of contaminates from the roads, farms, household and human/animal waste.

As for whether or not ice/bottled water is treated I would suggest you read the information on the label.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » September 3, 2017, 7:16 am

to make make my daily 2L tea and cooking + the filling of a cold water dispenser we have been using tap water ,filtered first by a small 5 way filter with uv , for 5 years now....no problems so far ...this is our filter
DSC00749 (Copy).jpg
cost 2.250 baht ...you need an electric socket for the uv ....as info ;)

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » September 3, 2017, 7:21 am

I'm using a similar filter here in our house. I think it works just fine.

dingdong
udonmap.com

Post by dingdong » September 3, 2017, 7:48 am

"A Chicago-based business has sued Nestlé over claims that the five gallon jugs of Ice Mountain Water it purchased for its office dispensers were falsely advertised as containing natural spring water when in reality they were simply filled with regular tap water." Labelling?????

Flint Michigan water contaminated due to Lead "Participants Residents of Flint, Michigan
Outcome
6,000–12,000 children exposed to lead[1]
Public health state of emergency
Several lawsuits
Several investigations
Four resignations
Four firings
Five suspensions
Fifteen criminal indictments
Deaths 15

Walkerton Ontario Canada 5 people die due to contaminated water supply "The five people who died directly from drinking the E. coli-contaminated water might have been saved if the Walkerton Public Utilities Commission had admitted to contaminated water sooner, and about 2,500 became ill."

Water is a commodity that needs respect. To THINK your water supply is safe at all times well, is ludicrous

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » September 3, 2017, 8:38 am

yep , even bottled water is not safe , so drink a beer... :lol:

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » September 3, 2017, 10:29 am

But isn't beer made with water? OMG what is one to do? I know just switch to wine. Or maybe buy a home filtration system right? BUT who made the filters and are they really as effective as claimed? etc etc etc

dingdong
udonmap.com

Post by dingdong » September 3, 2017, 12:20 pm

Water Filters do exactly that FILTER, they DO NOT chlorinate, disinfect they FILTER, dirt

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » September 3, 2017, 3:26 pm

Water filters like shown by Kopkei have a UV light which will effectively disinfect the water as long as it's not muddy water. The last stage of the filtration process pases the water through a UV light which is approved by the US FDA for disinfecting water.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 3, 2017, 4:29 pm

Been using Udon tap water to clean my teeth for nearly 15 years, been using ice in drinks at bars cafes etc, been drinking coffee from roadside cafes, been washing salad & fruit in tap water .... not died yet. Wouldn't actually drink a glass of the stuff, but I think the human body is able to cope with a little bit of bacteria from tapwater :lol:

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 3, 2017, 4:37 pm

I think it's bloomin' disgraceful if Udonmap prints "never drink tap water" [-X after all, the water Jon sells at the TAP is as good as any I have tasted =D> . It may not be up to the standard of some of his beers but as water goes its not bad :lol:

neeemu
udonmap.com

Post by neeemu » September 3, 2017, 6:30 pm

I've always had the squits after drinking tap water in the village. It's rain water from a big butt in the local school and god knows what the pipes through the village are like.

I've only ever drank it when others in the house refill the water bottles using the tap and replace them in the fridge. They think I'm daft buying water from Tesco.

Surely the lao kaew kills off any bacteria anyway? Seems to work for the locals.

hearthelp
udonmap.com

Post by hearthelp » September 3, 2017, 7:07 pm

hey where did the original poster go \:D/

frankieboy37
udonmap.com

Post by frankieboy37 » September 3, 2017, 8:12 pm

The original poster is still hoping for an answer to the original question which specifically invited the Udon Map organization to provide information on comments appearing in their own publication. Maybe those of you who have kindly taken the time to post responses are representatives of the organization but I think it is fair to say that has not been made clear in any of the instances so far.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » September 3, 2017, 8:20 pm

It seems to me the Thai government has been advising the same since I first arrived here in 1970. In recent years the Thai government has been saying the tap water in Bkk is safe to drink. However, if that were the case then I would think the hotels, restaurants etc would not be offering bottled water in Bkk as they have done for many years. Every hotel, resort, restaurant (to include the roadside places) in Thailand all provide bottled water. I suspect there's good reason for that.

ningnong

Post by ningnong » September 3, 2017, 11:27 pm

neeemu wrote:
September 3, 2017, 6:30 pm
I've always had the squits after drinking tap water in the village. It's rain water from a big butt in the local school and god knows what the pipes through the village are like.

I've only ever drank it when others in the house refill the water bottles using the tap and replace them in the fridge. They think I'm daft buying water from Tesco.

Surely the lao kaew kills off any bacteria anyway? Seems to work for the locals.
I have never seen any kind of backflow prevention devices in a village. So anytime flow from village storage tanks gets interrupted (often) anyone that has left the end of a hose in any questionable water source, like water tanks in the bathroom or storage jars, that water will get sucked back into the main lines.

I would suspect many of the larger towns and cities have a similar problem.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”