Hat tip to UPS in Udon Thani!

General Udon Thani topics only!
Lone Star
udonmap.com

Hat tip to UPS in Udon Thani!

Post by Lone Star » August 7, 2017, 1:30 pm

Electronic equipment issues here can be a problem. Even the items purchased here cannot be serviced well or in a timely fashion.

I have had a Garmin GPS on my motorcycle since 2014. I started having touchscreen issues with it. There was either no response or a wrong response -- even when it was recalibrated. So it was time for an overhaul. The distributor in BKK quoted me 6,000 baht (about $200 USD) and a 45 day turnaround. The money wasn't the issue, but 45 days was crazy. I checked with a friend who had the same work done at the end of last year, and it took 90 days for his to be returned. I started looking for an alternative.

Well I found the alternative. A shop in the US could fix it in one (1) day. They knew the problem exactly.

But then the issue became the unit being shipped with a battery. UPS went above and beyond to secure paperwork for me to be able to ship the item internationally with the battery.

Thanks again to UPS for helping me get my GPS fixed quickly!

Between shipping and labor, the total cost came in at about $175 USD, and I get the GPS returned in about 10 days instead of 45 days or more. Great trade off.

https://satnavrepairservice.com/

They have 7 repair shops worldwide.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Re: Hat tip to UPS in Udon Thani!

Post by DuiDui49 » August 7, 2017, 3:35 pm

Hi friend !

Just wanted to chim in and say this kind of info is really good info.I don't have one BUT never the less..like i said,thanks for great info.
Best regards
//DuiDui

“May we ever choose the harder right, instead of the easier wrong.” — Thomas Monson

"To grow and mature demands time and willingness to learn from your own misstakes"

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » August 7, 2017, 4:34 pm

Any taxes sought when it came back ??

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » August 7, 2017, 8:05 pm

wazza wrote:
August 7, 2017, 4:34 pm
Any taxes sought when it came back ??
I spoke with Thailand Customs in BKK before I shipped it. They told me that as long as I included copies of receipts of the purchase (which I did) proving that it was purchased here and sent for repair, they would not assess an import fee on it. I also attached a letter showing the serial number so that they could match it to the receipt and the unit. In addition, I also had the shipper send it through the postal service (not UPS or DHL or FedEx) and attach a mailing label in Thai. Came straight to the house. No fee, no VAT, no nothing.

The postal service, for some reason, gets under the radar. If it has my Thai mailing label attached, one in ten packages might get stopped, but it's for a small VAT amount, not a Customs import fee. Almost all of them come straight to the house. An unrelated package from Amazon arrived two days ago the same way. No fee, no VAT, no nothing. The postal service and that Thai mailing label has been good for me. :)

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » August 8, 2017, 8:24 pm

Must agree about using a Thai language shipping label when using U.S. Mail, UPS, or DHL for anything I send from U.S. to Udon. I have never had a problem with a delivery doing this. The only problem I've had was when sending something via mail to stepson in Bangkok in English, he never received. But remember to include a local Thai phone number for UPS and DHL

goodison
udonmap.com

Post by goodison » August 9, 2017, 5:23 am

Good call Stan. I've used them in the past, they visited the house with the required paperwork & envelopes. Very polite and Professional too. If I had a hat I'd raise it. As for Thai Post, outgoing not too bad, incoming seems to depend on origin and time of year, also weight of package. Sad really, as snail mail still has a role to play during this time of Social Media etc. etc.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » August 9, 2017, 1:16 pm

never had any issues with thai post, parcels sent from the uk spend more time sitting in Belgium ( 7-8 days) and once they hit Thailand take less than 48 hours with snail mail, never been damaged or lost. the only issue is with heavy stuff, they seem to base tax on weight, not what the item is. best one was last time I came, had 40kg excess so went to the thai post in the airport, they boxed it, strap wrapped it into three boxes and charged me 1800b for service, flew up to udon , the next morning as i'm having my first cuppa they turn up at 9 am with it. perhaps nong sam rong just has a good hard working honest postman
the world is not my home, I'm just a passenger

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”