Irish Clock Hotel

Get advice on hotels, guest houses, rentals and house sales in Udon Thani.
haggis087
udonmap.com

Irish Clock Hotel

Post by haggis087 » May 29, 2017, 4:38 pm

Hello All

Can anyone give me an update on what's happening at The Irish Clock? Was looking to book a room online for September but whatever dates I enter it comes back as unavailable! I did hear on my last visit to Udon in March, that it was up for sale and that Fred was no longer on premises...bearing in mind the many rumours flying around I am hoping someone can post some accurate info please :)

macca46
udonmap.com

Re: Irish Clock Hotel

Post by macca46 » May 29, 2017, 5:00 pm

Had a drink there yesterday at lunch time and Fred was there.

haggis087
udonmap.com

Post by haggis087 » May 29, 2017, 5:06 pm

Thanks for that info Macca. I will attempt to contact the Hotel direct

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » May 29, 2017, 7:30 pm

had afew meals there last few nights..missus is there, but never saw Fred, but then he could be hiding in his control room, watching telly...its up for sale, but has been for some time now..

UdonThaniPete
udonmap.com

Post by UdonThaniPete » May 29, 2017, 8:02 pm

You should check out the latest reviews on TripAdvisor which just about says it all, I went in about 6 weeks ago, never again.
A pessimist see’s a difficulty in every opportunity,
A optimist see’s an opportunity in every difficulty,
I am the latter.

haggis087
udonmap.com

Post by haggis087 » May 30, 2017, 7:08 pm

I did go in when I was in Udon in March but perhaps they were away on holiday
Staff were lethargic as usual but food was ok. Could be a good wee business if some money was spent on décor and modernisation

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » May 30, 2017, 7:12 pm

Sad to hear another Udon falang landmark in decline. Reminiscent of Harry's departure.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » May 30, 2017, 7:15 pm

To be honest, haggis087, there are so many options for Hotels in Central Udon now that if anywhere is not providing 100% value for money there are always alternatives.
It depends what you want to spend on a room & what your minimum requirements for hotel facilities are..

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » May 30, 2017, 8:12 pm

I came to udon about five yrs ago,not bad then...ain't been in for a good 6 months but it's deffo in need of some tlc.like bob helm said there's competition out there and the farangs are disappearing.i think Thailand is going down the pan with the strength of the baht full stop.i used to bring many mates from the uk but it's down to one at Xmas now.the only people doing good are those exchanging baht and bunging it in their Swiss bank accounts and I know it ain't rice farmers.

docta
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by docta » May 30, 2017, 8:40 pm

In the area so dropped by for fish-n-chips lunch today, hadn't been there for awhile.
All was perfect! Clean, Responsive help, Huge fish-n-chips platter.. tasted great. Fred was there.
Guess like life some days are better than others, but for me today was a good day at the, Irish Clock.
Doc

jimjay
udonmap.com

Post by jimjay » May 31, 2017, 3:47 am

I went there for my usual Cheese Omelette with Bombay Potatoes w/ water, orange juice & coffee, and the absolutely extremely phenomenally hot waitress (there's only one who fits that bill) that's usually there handled the order and that was that.

I saw Fred come past and we exchanged our usual greeting which always involves making fun of how slow Udon is with ref. to the food biz.

Lots of food spots, lots of choices, way fewer tourists & heck, even drinking as a pastime has a much wider range these days than just sampan. Still my food arrived just as quick as ever, and same exact, I mean exact quality and prep as I've been eating for like 5 years running. So I guess the kitchen staff have been there the whole time.

Alas life goes on, it's only food after all...

skinner
udonmap.com

Post by skinner » May 31, 2017, 10:33 am

UdonThaniPete wrote:You should check out the latest reviews on TripAdvisor which just about says it all, I went in about 6 weeks ago, never again.
Agree

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 31, 2017, 12:07 pm

jimjay wrote:... the absolutely extremely phenomenally hot waitress (there's only one who fits that bill) ...
Methinks I need to pop in and say hello to Fred.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » May 31, 2017, 12:13 pm

tamada wrote:
jimjay wrote:... the absolutely extremely phenomenally hot waitress (there's only one who fits that bill) ...
Good idea, I hate the way the keyboard warriors smash someones livelihood to bit's.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » May 31, 2017, 4:21 pm

fatbob wrote:
tamada wrote:
Good idea, I hate the way the keyboard warriors smash someones livelihood to bit's.
Everyone has their own opinion,what are people to do? Tell lies or keep quiet if we don't have a good thing to say about our own experiences.as for hot waitresses,I would rather have one that is good at her job.big tits and long legs don't make my beer and food taste any better.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » June 1, 2017, 9:09 pm

fatbob wrote:
tamada wrote:
Hate to say it me old fruit but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.if you don't have a good experience with something you have the right to say something.maybe have a word with the manager if he's there.i don't see anyone trying to smash someone's livelyhood to bits intentionally,they are just saying what they have experienced.then again we could all write good things about anything that involves someone's livelihood.to me the place lacks atmosphere and the food is mediocre.rooms were ok 4 years ago,that's it.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 3, 2017, 11:32 am

Marcosteffano wrote:... as for hot waitresses,I would rather have one that is good at her job.big tits and long legs don't make my beer and food taste any better.
I know what I want, but not in a waitress. I am looking for a pretty 7-eleven lass with giant knockers, legs up to her earrings and an arse so fluffy it could be a pillow on Charlie Sheen's bed.

Nothing sinful in mind. All I buy at a 7 are ciggies and beer. But I just like girls like that and want to pay my money to a girl like that. I am sick and tired of the androgynous, wholesome types behind the 7 counters with their flat chests, flat arses and pseudo-friendly manner. Give me a pouty bombshell in a skintight skirt with a split which rides up to her undies when she squats down for the packet of dried mangoes I pretended I couldn't find.

I can get a waitress like that at 'Share' but if you know of such a girl, please tell me the location of the 7 and her shift. I shall be much obliged.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » June 3, 2017, 6:01 pm

I would rather have one that is good at her job.big tits and long legs don't make my beer and food taste any better.
OK, you can have the split-hooved, buck-toof'd, clod-hopper, send the big-tittied ass-clapper over to my table. Thanks.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

Mex
udonmap.com

Post by Mex » June 3, 2017, 6:42 pm

I have frequented Irish Clock at least 20 times in the past year and have found the food and service more than satisfactory.
If it looks good..and smells good..go for it..

UdonThaniPete
udonmap.com

Post by UdonThaniPete » June 3, 2017, 7:15 pm

All I can say Mex is that you are lucky, I only speak as I find, no more and no less and my personal experience has been less than satisfactory, being an ex landlord I believe I know what customer service is all about.

IMHO, the problem I believe is with the staff there, not so much as the food, they are certainly not attentive or seem to care less, the majority of them are unable to take an order, so it's pot luck if you get what you ask for.

I understand the difficulty of getting good, attentive staff, not only in Thailand but anywhere for that matter, but if the owner is there he should ensure the staff are doing what they are paid to do, that was certainly not evident on our visits.

I believe the current owner has lost interest in his business and unfortunately it is reflecting on the place, hence the bad reviews being made, it has been in the past and could be again a good place to eat and drink in, it is now dead, you can spend a lot of money tarting the place up as much as you want, but that is useless unless you have the correct people working for you and you need to Manage them, not lock yourself in a little office.

I really do wish the owner all the best, and if it is true that the place is up for sale, my assumption may be correct.
A pessimist see’s a difficulty in every opportunity,
A optimist see’s an opportunity in every difficulty,
I am the latter.

Return to “Udon Thani Accommodation”