Am I being charged for a more expensive ATM card that I want?

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
rickfarang
udonmap.com

Am I being charged for a more expensive ATM card that I want?

Post by rickfarang » May 25, 2017, 9:55 pm

Received the below notice of funds being deducted from my Krung Thai savings account.

25-05-17@20:32 Overdue payment amount of 599.00THB from your account XXXXXXX for annual card fee.

That feels like a lot of money for a simple ATM card and a lot more than I think I have been paying in recent years.

Any thoughts?

Giggle
udonmap.com

Re: Am I being charged for a more expensive ATM card that I want?

Post by Giggle » May 25, 2017, 10:27 pm

Probably has insurance attached to it. My bank once told me I could ONLY get the new ATM card with life insurance attached. I told them I want the normal card without insurance as I already have life insurance, from an insurance company, but thanks just the same. She said, "No hab." Only hab this one. They look docile and pretty, but they are as hungry for your money as the yabba queens in Day & Night.
Last edited by Giggle on May 26, 2017, 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

old timer
udonmap.com

Post by old timer » May 25, 2017, 10:40 pm

Giggle wrote:Probably.......
Useless reply.

OT......... \:D/

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » May 25, 2017, 11:10 pm

Less than useless retort. At least I gave a possible reason. Sort yourself out OT.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » May 26, 2017, 9:52 am

with Kasikorn Bank our annual ATM card fee is 500 baht.. Had the card for five years now, the fee is the same now as at the beginning.
Dave

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » May 26, 2017, 1:47 pm

Giggle wrote:Less than useless retort. At least I gave a possible reason. Sort yourself out OT.
That Man's Sarcasm is BEYOND Contempt !!! :-" :-" :-" :-"

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » May 26, 2017, 2:36 pm

I have an ATM card with Krung Thai Bank which has a Personal Accident Insurance attachment to it, so the fee is 599 Baht. My card at Bangkok Bank is a basic ATM and the fee is only 200 Baht. From my past experience opening accounts at 4 different banks, if you don't ask for the less expensive card, they will automatically sign you up for the more expensive cards and not even tell you that you have an option. It much easier for them to wrong you by omission that it is for them to take the time to explain the difference in the cards and allow you to make your own decision on which one is best for you. There's no doubt the clerks get some sort of added benefit to their pay if they can sign you up for the more expensive cards.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 26, 2017, 4:51 pm

I think I am correct in saying that most of the major banks have an English option on their website. It may be best to use this to work out what card you want before you head to the branch. If they say, 'no hab' just keep on truckin' to another branch and try again.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » May 27, 2017, 11:42 pm

Way back, I had accounts with SCB and was charged 200 baht for ATM card. Then later when opening further accounts with them they tried to charge me 400 and 500 baht for the ATM card. When challenged they said it was for new cards which included insurance. It took some persisting to get an "ordinary" card charged at 300 baht. That fee was then debited to the account annually.

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » June 1, 2017, 7:39 pm

I got on the bank's website and checked out their choices of ATM cards. I have a very Hi-so ATM card! This appears to be the most expensive one they currently offer. I have accidental death and dismemberment insurance to the tune of 30,000 baht! The card can be used outside of Thailand, and there are a few other unimportant features that I really don't need or even care about.

Now I know when the fee becomes due next year and I will try to remember to exchange the card for a less expensive one earlier in the year.

Its not really the extra few hundred baht that bothers me, it is that the bank employee apparently took advantage of me. As somebody pointed out in this thread, it might have merely been expedient for her to give me the card she assumed was best for me over struggling to communicate the choices. That's right -it was expedient.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » June 1, 2017, 9:08 pm

Watch out if you plan to change cards, you might want to arrange that well before the expiry date of your current card, as they usually just debit the fee to your account on the anniversary date.

I would perhaps suggest arranging and paying for a new card a month or so before expiry date of current card and at the same time ask them to cancel your current card (to avoid 2 card fees).

Return to “Open Forum”