Dash Cams and Insurance Discount

Insurance -- Do you need it? Where to buy it?
wazza
udonmap.com

Dash Cams and Insurance Discount

Post by wazza » May 25, 2017, 3:48 pm

Got my insurance renewal today and very pleased that AA Ins Brokers have negotiated a 5% discount with AIG, if i have a dash cam fitted. ( have had for 3 years )

Pleasing to note this as it confirms / implies they intend to use the data for negotiating claims.

Required to fill out a declaration and provide 2 pictures.

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Re: Dash Cams and Insurance Discount

Post by minimiglia » May 25, 2017, 5:01 pm

This was announced by the government a few months ago, I got 10%.just had to supply purchase receipt.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » May 26, 2017, 9:56 am

I renew in July for both of our vehicles and will install the dash cams.. I suspect that our company Viriyah will actually want to see the installed camera.. We get Class I insurance and that requires a physical inspection of the vehicle by the broker and pictures taken to show any damage at the time of policy renewal.
Dave

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » May 26, 2017, 9:56 am

oh, BTW, any details on why the 5% versus 10% deductions??
Dave

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 26, 2017, 10:58 am

FrazeeDK wrote:oh, BTW, any details on why the 5% versus 10% deductions??
Lottery.

Different insurance carriers?

Note the guy who got the smallest discount had to show pictures of the cameras installed whereas the bigger discount was earned by merely showing a receipt of purchase. The dashcam may be still in a box!

I can see this being fraught with potential for fraud (by insurance companies/agents) who will milk it FWIW but won't last.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » May 31, 2017, 7:55 pm

According to the Bangkok Post in its article dated May 20, 2017, an order was signed effective immediately by Suthiphon Thaveechaiyagarn, secretary-general of the Office of Insurance Commission, which requires insurance companies to reduce auto insurance premiums by 5-10% for customers who present photographic evidence of dashcam installation in the front of their cars.

I just received notice today that my auto insurance company will not be giving me a dashcam discount, so they are by all accounts defying the order of the Insurance Commission.

Therefore, I am considering taking out my auto insurance with another company, MSIG Insurance, which offers a full line of insurance products for the past 120 years. I would like to know if anyone out there is familiar with this company, and if so, what has been your experience with settling claims and communicating with them in English.

Your replies, comments or suggestions are sincerely appreciated!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » June 1, 2017, 11:59 am

I do all mine with Tesco Lotus, excellent service. and at the right price.Remember having say 2 named drivers Husband and wife saves a lot.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » June 1, 2017, 2:38 pm

Checking my stat dec I have to sign etc,

It doesnt say that any data obtained on the Dash Cam must be handed over to them, or retained by them for use at a later date.

No mention of making a copy for the Police if they try to lay the blame on me etc

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » June 1, 2017, 3:09 pm

minimiglia wrote:I do all mine with Tesco Lotus, excellent service. and at the right price.Remember having say 2 named drivers Husband and wife saves a lot.
Found out not good when claims are needed as the girls know zilch - use a Broker who knows what to do and lower cost
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » June 1, 2017, 3:12 pm

sorry do not agree, excellent after sales service with no problems, is my experience.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 1, 2017, 3:56 pm

semperfiguy wrote:According to the Bangkok Post in its article dated May 20, 2017, an order was signed effective immediately by Suthiphon Thaveechaiyagarn, secretary-general of the Office of Insurance Commission, which requires insurance companies to reduce auto insurance premiums by 5-10% for customers who present photographic evidence of dashcam installation in the front of their cars.

I just received notice today that my auto insurance company will not be giving me a dashcam discount, so they are by all accounts defying the order of the Insurance Commission.

Therefore, I am considering taking out my auto insurance with another company, MSIG Insurance, which offers a full line of insurance products for the past 120 years. I would like to know if anyone out there is familiar with this company, and if so, what has been your experience with settling claims and communicating with them in English.

Your replies, comments or suggestions are sincerely appreciated!
What? Move insurance without any consideration of premiums or transferability of (any) no claims bonus? Does MSIG give you a dashcam discount? And if they do, what is the criteria, proof of purchase or picture of it installed?

Since dash cams are infinitely movable/removable devices, I can see why the insurance companies are a bit reluctant in enforcing any dictate handed down by a mere Commission with no clarity in law as to the what is the acceptable use of a dash cam.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » June 1, 2017, 4:08 pm

AIG require from me , a Stat Dec , with my car rego number, and model of dash cam etc

Pictures confirming installation.

Return to “Insurance”