Renew drivers License AEK Udon

General Udon Thani topics only!
panick
udonmap.com

Re: Renew drivers License AEK Udon

Post by panick » May 17, 2017, 12:22 am

You need proof of address/residence .... Letter from Immigration stating your address or a yellow house book.
I took my house book, passport and copies of everything I've had for ID here in Thailand.
All they wanted was .....
Your current license/licences
Copy/copies of my passport (1 copy for every license you want)
Copy/copies of my house book or proof of residence from Immigration.
No medical certificates!

I did an upgrade from a 5yr to another 5yr.
Things might be a tad different if upgrading to a 5yr from a "Temporary" (your 1st license)....... I don't know!
It cost me ฿960 to extend both car and motorcycle licences for another 5yrs.
Hope this helps!
Bring back Saint

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » May 17, 2017, 11:18 pm

Thanks, I went today at 1100, not knowing exactly what I needed. What is needed is yellow book or Certificate of Residence. Yes passport, 2 copies for me also, old DLs. Luckily Immigration here is very good and got everything done on their end very quickly, ok nobody there and almost lunch time. Back to AEK, sit, wait, give paper work, sit through, thank you former English Marine kindred soul for helping keep me awake, movie. Pay the same as you posted, get pictures, DLs and outa' there. 3 damn hours plus the trip to Immigration. 1,000 bht. for Certificate of Residence+100 bht. for pics at Immigration. This was my 2nd 5 yr. Yea, I needed that b-day beer afterward.

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » May 18, 2017, 9:42 pm

1,000 baht for a residence letter from immigration? This is the highest I remember hearing of at Udon Immigration.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » May 18, 2017, 11:32 pm

If you have a bike & a car licence that is 2 separate letters - 500* 2=1,000.
Not bad for a 'free' service!!!

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » May 19, 2017, 3:30 am

BobHelm wrote:If you have a bike & a car licence that is 2 separate letters - 500* 2=1,000.
Not bad for a 'free' service!!!
Another reason why the yellow book is useful ,

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » May 19, 2017, 5:48 am

AXIfor7/11 » April 15, 2017, 4:19 pm

i went to AEK few days before i needed to renew my 5 year car and motorbike licence i asked the question regarding the 2 letters from immigration the lady said ask for either a car or motorbike no need for the 2 letters so off i went to immo got the 1 letter can,t remember if i asked for bike or car,didn,t matter my understanding is its a letter of residency nothing more,just another way of immigration pulling your pants down and getting extra money,anyway i turned up at AEK and handed the 1 letter in watched the video got my 2 licences and off i went,your experience might be different,TIT

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » May 19, 2017, 11:47 pm

I probably should have gone that route, but the dude at DL didn't seem too helpful. Anyway got it done. Maybe I can get wife to get yellow book this time, she got pissed and left last time after they wanted money under the table. The wife doesn't take that crap well at all, not from anybody. One thing I really like about her.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 20, 2017, 5:15 am

sgt wrote:did they ask for resident certificate?
Yes
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » May 20, 2017, 10:37 am

Yes, it was either that or yellow book.

Tracechain
udonmap.com

Post by Tracechain » July 12, 2017, 4:29 pm

Went in for renewal today and provided copy of yellow book, pink ID card in lieu of my passport and copy of current license. Guy told the wife while I was watching the safety flick that they prefer pink ID card vice passport to preclude passport validity conflicts with their five year policy. Not sure what that all means but having yellow book and pink ID card has paid off.
Hit 'em hard, hit 'em fast, hit 'em with the one they don't expect, and just keep hitting.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » July 12, 2017, 5:17 pm

Tracechain wrote:
July 12, 2017, 4:29 pm
Guy told the wife while I was watching the safety flick that they prefer pink ID card vice passport to preclude passport validity conflicts with their five year policy. Not sure what that all means but having yellow book and pink ID card has paid off.
Presumably they want to make sure that your passport is valid for the entire term of the license.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » July 12, 2017, 6:35 pm

Udon Map wrote:
July 12, 2017, 5:17 pm
Tracechain wrote:
Guy told the wife while I was watching the safety flick that they prefer pink ID card vice passport to preclude passport validity conflicts with their five year policy. Not sure what that all means but having yellow book and pink ID card has paid off.
Presumably they want to make sure that your passport is valid for the entire term of the license.
Exactly, since the passport number is generally used as the ID number on the Thai driver's license. When an American is issued a new passport, we are given a completely different passport number. I can't speak for other countries. That could present a problem if one's current passport expires before the 5 year license expires. Try explaining that to the coppers when they pull you over and ask for driver's license and passport, and the numbers don't match.

I have a Yellow Book, and in that book I have been assigned a Thai ID number. That same number appears as the ID number on my Pink Thai ID Card. It would seem that if one presents the Pink Thai ID to the Land Transport Office in lieu of a passport when renewing a Thai driver's license, then that's the ID number that will appear on the new driver's license (although I haven't confirmed that). My pink Thai ID card has no expiry date; therefore my Thai ID number should never change, and that ID number will be consistent on my Yellow Book, Thai ID Card and Thai Driver's License. That makes more sense to me.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf". - George Orwell

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » July 12, 2017, 6:52 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
July 12, 2017, 6:35 pm
Udon Map wrote:
July 12, 2017, 5:17 pm
Tracechain wrote:
Exactly, since the passport number is generally used as the ID number on the Thai driver's license. When an American is issued a new passport, we are given a completely different passport number. I can't speak for other countries. That could present a problem if one's current passport expires before the 5 year license expires. Try explaining that to the coppers when they pull you over and ask for driver's license and passport, and the numbers don't match.

That's why I keep my expired passport handy when traveling. Show & Tell works very well here in many instances.

Tracechain
udonmap.com

Post by Tracechain » July 13, 2017, 4:31 am

Yes, the number on the drivers license is the same as on my little pinky card!
Hit 'em hard, hit 'em fast, hit 'em with the one they don't expect, and just keep hitting.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”