Water pressure pulsing

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
minimiglia
udonmap.com

Re: Water pressure pulsing

Post by minimiglia » May 19, 2017, 11:54 am

Easy fix, take the main cover off, locate the pressure switch, small cylindrical with another cover, remove cover and you will see a screw with + and _ either side turn screw until it stops coming on and off. always have to do after fitting new pressure switch, every 2 or 3 years.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » May 19, 2017, 3:37 pm

pal52 wrote:
vincemunday wrote:Sounds similar to a problem we were having with one of our pumps. On the top of one of them we bought there was a small dome, the builder took this off and under it was a small screw on what looked very similar to points on an old fashioned car, he turned the screw 1/4 to a 1/2 turn at a time and it sped the pumping action a little bit more each time until it stopped pulsing, could be the same issue you're having. By the by, I'm pretty sure the area he was poking around in was live so be careful.
Sound like he was adjusting the pressure switch.
You should not do this unless it is really a last resort.
By adjusting it you can change the differential pressure the pump cuts in & out & make things worse.

I suggested this at the beginning of the thread, apparently it's not the way to do it, it's worked fine on mine for a couple of years but it's probably better to take advice from a pro.
British by birth, English by the grace of God.

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » May 19, 2017, 5:06 pm

Why not? do it all the time

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » May 19, 2017, 5:34 pm

i have been adjusting these pressure switch of the thai type pump for 15 years now without any problems , if your pump starts switching on and off all the time when you open you will need to adjust , mostly you increase the pressure a little
by turning down (clockwise) the small middle screw of the pressure switch, open a faucet on low water pressure , this is when the pump start mostly do idiot and adjust until the pump keeps running smoothly , and look she also stops after you close the water ...most problems come because of the small electric water heaters with the low flow of the small piping inside , anyway i do not use these pumps anymore (except on the well)due to too many problems , pressure switch (400 baht), condenser (450)and water tank(3.000 , 500 small ones)even stainless too quickly rusted , use now grundfos mq45 pump (2) without any problems , more expensive (12.500 baht) but a lot better ...as info .... ;)

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » May 19, 2017, 8:11 pm

Thanks for the advice. As soon as the sun returns I'll put on my PPE and venture out into the garden with tool kit in hand.

JohnG
udonmap.com

Post by JohnG » May 20, 2017, 3:08 am

As already said, do NOT adjust the pressure switch, particularly on an inverter pump. Unless you know exactly what you're doing you are likely to do a lot more harm than good.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » May 20, 2017, 4:34 am

I'd go with JohnG.
Don't know what model your pump is but according to Hitachi manual on several inverter pumps, their run call comes from a pressure sensor ( not the usual pressure switch which is digital i.e. on-off)
The inverter style sensor monitors pressure in the line and depending on the number of outlets active, signals a control board ( analog signal) which ramps motor speed up or down to maintain pressure.
Not the sort of thing to go screwing with willy nilly.
These systems tend to be fairly constant without the need for intervention so I would be inclined to think that other factors have come to bear such as crap in the sensor or a faulty sensor perhaps.
Either way an accredited service person could be a good move.

Details can be found in .... water-pump-201207.pdf

look on the second page on the right hand side of the document.

Hope this helps... 8)

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » May 20, 2017, 6:35 am

If you want expert advice go and see Steve at Udon Hardware he will set you straight very quickly.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » May 20, 2017, 9:51 am

Totally agree, see Steve
British by birth, English by the grace of God.

l.italianrestaurant
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by l.italianrestaurant » May 20, 2017, 10:31 am

My pump is also pulsing and I solved the problem opening another tap, so while I'm taking a shower I also open the sink tap.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 20, 2017, 10:56 am

pal52 wrote:Try turning the pump off & the inlet valve.
Then drain the pump by the plastic plug at the bottom of the pump.
You should also take off the plastic plug on the top of the pump to allow it drain properly.
This allows air into the tank & gives you a cushion of air in the tank.
There is an air charging system on the pump to do this automatically but sometimes after running for long periods it needs a little help.
If you still have the manual on the pump it will show the plugs & air charging system
Excellent advice. That's commonly known as a water logged pressure tank. If there is no air head in the pressure tank, the pump will start and stop every few seconds.

JohnG
udonmap.com

Post by JohnG » May 20, 2017, 8:23 pm

l.italianrestaurant wrote:My pump is also pulsing and I solved the problem opening another tap, so while I'm taking a shower I also open the sink tap.
Shouldn't make any difference with an inverter pump, which should adjust pressure / volume automatically, as @bluejets described. If you need to do this with a regular pump you've either got a faulty pressure tank that needs venting (simple, see above), or need to clean the shower heater and shower head to get more flow (simple again) or you've got the wrong size pump. Problem with a standard pump is if you get it right for one outlet it'll probably be wrong for another, hence inverters.

Return to “House & Land”