Patchy google services via 3BB

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
tamada
udonmap.com

Patchy google services via 3BB

Post by tamada » May 6, 2017, 12:47 pm

It looks like some of google's services via 3BB aren't operating nationwide. YouTube and Play seem to be out of order and others have reported issues with gmail.

wazza
udonmap.com

Re: Patchy google services via 3BB

Post by wazza » May 6, 2017, 1:25 pm

TOT was slower than a snail yesterday.

Couldnt get chromecast to work on You Tube.

Speed test says i had no connection. But was there. Just fuking slow

camps
udonmap.com

Post by camps » May 6, 2017, 4:05 pm

tamada wrote:It looks like some of google's services via 3BB aren't operating nationwide. YouTube and Play seem to be out of order and others have reported issues with gmail.
My 3bb internet speed 48Mbps today,but still cannot get YouTube and Play to load....

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » May 6, 2017, 4:12 pm

Tha problem seems to be 3BB.
I could not access google then when I restarted the computer I got a message on windows 10 saying my connection had been taken over via my server & was being controlled.
Fortunately the message asked if I wanted to restore my settings.
I did & it is now OK

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » May 6, 2017, 4:18 pm

Well, we use TRUE MOVE fiber and we are experiencing the same slow crawl with google and cnn news clips. We live inside the ring road.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » May 6, 2017, 4:26 pm

We have spoken to 3BB and they confirm it's their problem, no google, Facebook or YouTube, that said we've been having a few problems with them lately, we've had 5 days with no internet in the last few weeks.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 7, 2017, 9:13 am

All good on all devices on all platforms in the nan mansion this morning.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » May 7, 2017, 9:51 am

It is good that it is back, however it is a little disturbing that there are no details as to what caused the issue other than a 'technical' fault.
From personal experience I am fairly convinced that just about all the Thai Internet service providers have oversold high end service speeds & are then deliberately 'throttling back' certain high usage sites when demand exceeds supply.
Interestingly using a VPN on 3BB yesterday allowed a user to still access all of the Google sites - so much for a straight 'technical' fault. :D

Conspiracy theorists might very well conclude that it was actually a test of the ability of service providers to deny access to certain sites (if instructed to do so by the authorities) that went wrong - but I will stick with the oversold capacity theory. :D

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » May 7, 2017, 10:03 am

Thanks Andrew Mail for the daily update

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 7, 2017, 1:26 pm

BobHelm wrote:It is good that it is back, however it is a little disturbing that there are no details as to what caused the issue other than a 'technical' fault.
From personal experience I am fairly convinced that just about all the Thai Internet service providers have oversold high end service speeds & are then deliberately 'throttling back' certain high usage sites when demand exceeds supply.
Interestingly using a VPN on 3BB yesterday allowed a user to still access all of the Google sites - so much for a straight 'technical' fault. :D

Conspiracy theorists might very well conclude that it was actually a test of the ability of service providers to deny access to certain sites (if instructed to do so by the authorities) that went wrong - but I will stick with the oversold capacity theory. :D
I heard that one of the older hamsters on the server treadmills cacked it. Unfortunately, it was on one of the innermost treadmills so wasn't easy to get to. New hamster inserted overnight and all up and running again.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » May 7, 2017, 1:35 pm

Andrew's FB site has a few reasons.

Raoul Duke
udonmap.com

Post by Raoul Duke » May 8, 2017, 10:31 am

I was in a location on Saturday where I could access 3BB and true simultaneously during this issue.
Gmail and you tube were virtually non existent via 3BB so I switched to my pocket wifi (true) and access was fine.
I hope this helps.
Voiceover for hire.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » May 8, 2017, 1:29 pm

http://tech.thaivisa.com/technical-issu ... paign=news
3BB has said they were not at fault for the technical issues which affected its internet service this weekend.
However, after customers hit out at 3BB for its handling of the situation, the company released a statement to say that it wasn’t at fault for the issues on Saturday, which it said was the result of Google carrying out “system maintenance”.
So why were these sites still available from other Thai Internet Suppliers??
The issues which left users unable to access YouTube, Google Search and Gmail left some Thai news sources to speculate that the sites had been blocked by Thai government.
However, on Monday the government released a statement saying it did not order the blocking of Google and YouTube
As the late Mandy Rice-Davies once said... Well they (he) would say that... :D

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » May 8, 2017, 1:34 pm

We went to 3BB in Big C and complained about the outages and they have reimbursed us for 3 days off our next bill, they said that they didn't have to as we pay for a month not for a day at a time (I didn't understand that either) but they credited us as a gesture of good will.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » May 9, 2017, 4:34 pm

http://www.matichon.co.th/news/554029
According to the article, 3BB is offering customers a free month's service to compensate for the disruption.
Contrary to what some believe in Thailand, companies can be held accountable for poor services.....whether it's shoddy internet service or providing 10 slices of pepperoni rather than 28. But if people don't make the poor service an issue (as they did with 3BB), nothing will happen.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » May 9, 2017, 6:34 pm

Netizens (okay, all of us??) who are concerned about ISPs dicking with what might/might not be allowed on their servers may consider watching John Oliver's latest show about net neutrality. Although it concerns services in the US, I see no reason that the same sort of playing footsie with the flow of information on the internet couldn't apply to Thai ISPs........especially considering all the commotion about certain content on FB and Youtube. You can watch his latest rant at the link
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... db939f3356

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”