School issues - Udon Thani

General Udon Thani topics only!
C-Dad

School issues - Udon Thani

Post by C-Dad » April 26, 2017, 3:38 pm

Hi there,

I have my children at Pattanapanya school, but of late I have not been satisfied with some aspects of the school program and management. I (and a couple of other Dad’s at the school) would like to hear from other parents who have concerns, with a view to meet with the school management to present a united front and discuss the issues of concern.

maaka
udonmap.com

Re: School issues - Udon Thani

Post by maaka » April 26, 2017, 4:26 pm

My missus is a teacher, and the things she tells me about how most teachers pay under the table to get their teaching position, makes me wonder if you can achieve anything, at any school..she has just been for an interview where a number of applicants paid 700,000bt each under the table, for one of the 16 positions, even if they are hopeless as a teacher or not..the rot has set in long ago...sorry for derailing your thread, but food for thought in your coming mission..

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » April 26, 2017, 6:25 pm

My girl is starting there next month.
I am very interested in talking about theses issues.
Mick

Dingo
udonmap.com

Post by Dingo » April 26, 2017, 8:06 pm

Everyone has their overall opinion as to which is best and I will acknowledge that it is the parents ultimate decision.
We had our kids there for over 1 year. Same situation, not happy with performance or learning. We researched most schools and we finally enrolled them in Arpapatchra School, only 100 Mt's west of there.
We've had them in the Bi-lingual classification and they are now confident, achieving high results and a part of a family, so to speak.
They also keep numbers of students per class to a minimum allowing for teaching 1 on 1, rather than general "run of the mill", stand at the front and hope the kids learn and hear what the teacher is saying.
I can only suggest you check it out, as with other schools and consider the best for the kids.

Good luck to the kids and your family.
Dingo

grievous
udonmap.com

Post by grievous » April 26, 2017, 8:20 pm

I agree with Dingo's comments as children are at the same school and are very happy.
The head of school is quite willing to meet with both my wife and I anytime we have questions or to discuss any problems we might have.

panick
udonmap.com

Post by panick » April 26, 2017, 11:52 pm

grievous wrote: The head of school is quite willing to meet with both my wife and I anytime we have questions or to discuss any problems we might have.
Of course he is! (9yrs teaching here in Udon)

But, he'll never sort the problems out you have and blame it on everyone else. He will listen, accept and blame it all on the other employees lower than him! (Ok American thing....... Try tracing the "BUCK" that's been passed!)

"I want to give your child the best education available"
.... But .... I'm restricted to what I get from the government and from the parents which doesn't quite cover the payments on my 5 bedroom house and the Benz! I need an extra ฿100 a month (per student .... maybe 4000 students) so they get a Farang teacher one hour a week, and I want a little MORE for the extra curriculum activities that take place in the school!!! ... Such as dancing, A.S.E.A.N, English,Chinese and English.

I'm so glad I just retired fro this c##p!
Bring back Saint

grievous
udonmap.com

Post by grievous » April 27, 2017, 12:19 am

Ok Panic all the schools in Udon are rubbish but I suppose you need to find the best rubbish you can amongst the heap if you want to raise children here.

panick
udonmap.com

Post by panick » April 27, 2017, 12:36 am

Anuban Udon Thani is a good start (up to 12/13 yrs old). They usually go from there to secondary education to Udonphittya, Rachatnutit or Ban Makaen. After that. they pretty much follow the path to Rachapat University ;-)
Bring back Saint

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » April 27, 2017, 7:16 am

My son has been going to Holy Mary, it is better than I expected, by a country mile!

C-Dad

Post by C-Dad » May 9, 2017, 5:30 pm

Thank you all for your comments,

All comments are welcomed, and I appreciated the suggestions. My kids (and I) would prefer an all English program but obviously there is no option for that in UT (apart from UDIS which is only to Grade 6 and my eldest is 14yo).

mickojak, could we touch base directly in this forum to chat?

Kel

C-Dad

Post by C-Dad » May 9, 2017, 5:37 pm

mickojak wrote:My girl is starting there next month.
I am very interested in talking about theses issues.
Mick
Mick, I do apologise for not responding. It would be good to have a chance to communicate directly. Kel

fire on the mountain

Post by fire on the mountain » May 9, 2017, 6:27 pm

c-dad, any date yet to meet up again?

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » May 10, 2017, 2:36 am

Hi Kel
Just tried to PM you but no good.
I will be back in udon next wednesday.
Mick

C-Dad

Post by C-Dad » May 10, 2017, 6:35 pm

Hi Mike, We have not set another date to get together, but must do soon given school starts next week. Kel
Last edited by C-Dad on May 12, 2017, 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

writemotive
udonmap.com

Post by writemotive » May 10, 2017, 8:22 pm

I left a higher paying position in the Middle East to bring my daughters to the US (San Antonio, TX). I took a position as an instructor for the USAF at a much lower pay rate to get my girls out of Udon and to a much better educational system here. It was the best thing I could do for them. I don't have any faith in the Thai education system and see the results working at all the low/no skill labor positions needed by the Thai economy. Just my opinion. The results I see in my daughters here are astounding. My wife who didn't like the move to the US and returned to Thailand without the kids said she wasn't concerned about their education and just wanted them to be nice people. hmmm los attitude?

C-Dad

Post by C-Dad » May 12, 2017, 9:10 am

Thanks Mike, See you when you get back to UT.

C-Dad

Post by C-Dad » May 12, 2017, 9:34 am

mickojak wrote:Hi Kel
Just tried to PM you but no good.
I will be back in udon next wednesday.
Mick
Hi Mick, Sent you an email, See you when you get back to UT

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”