Air conditioning

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
tamada
udonmap.com

Air conditioning

Post by tamada » April 11, 2017, 12:36 pm

Anyone have a current recommendation for split type room air conditioning? Any specials and discounts seen around town? Also any recommendations on brands. Finally, who can install really quick. We had Mitsubishi units before but they appear to be much more expensive than most of the others.

The bedrooms are roughly the standard 4 m x 4 m x 3 m so about 50 cubic meters tops. I reckon 12,000 btu will be sufficient as it's a reasonably modern build with roof space insulation. The master bedroom had an 18,000 btu previously but there was problems with humidity which was possibly because it was oversized. The other bedroom had a 13,000 btu and was called a 'meat locker' by visiting guests.

There's also the choice of inverter versus non-inverter these days so any advice on what's best in that regard is also appreciated.

Thanks!
tam

maaka
udonmap.com

Re: Air conditioning

Post by maaka » April 11, 2017, 1:34 pm

threw some dosh at the missus and she ended getting a cheap wee Samsung for 13000bt installed. asked if it had and inverter, she didnt know, and I am none the wiser, but the bedroom is like an icebox, when we are not playing that is ;)

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 11, 2017, 1:40 pm

Tam,

Inverter is the way to go. Far more efficient and over time will save your power bill.
People use the BTU here but I always use the KW rating of a machine. Provides me a better understanding what power it has and will use,
BTU 18,000 was a huge unit for a bedroom , that's over 5KW. That would actually cover a large living area.
BTU 10,000 just less than 3KW
BTU 11,000 3.2 KW
BTU 12,000 3.5 KW

You should be able to easily cover a 4 x 4 room with 3KW and run it on low fan. Even a 9000 BTU might do...2.6 KW
I like you have had Mitsubishi and happy, shop around the big places for what's on promotion. You may get lucky. You do get what you pay for, an A/C unit you want peace of mind to just install and forget.
IMHO I find the Mitsubishi brand to be quiet for sleeping.
Diaken have some nice units and reliable.

Good luck and let us know how you ended up. Always good to get up to date info.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » April 11, 2017, 1:43 pm

Excuse me "maaka",but i'm from Sweden so my best guess you have thaught your missus to play ICEHOCKEY..or..sorry just had too ;-)...have a nice first period..btw..you need a ref..i'm good at that..time for me to go and hide now while waiting for a replye..;-)...have a good day "maaka".
maaka wrote:threw some dosh at the missus and she ended getting a cheap wee Samsung for 13000bt installed. asked if it had and inverter, she didnt know, and I am none the wiser, but the bedroom is like an icebox, when we are not playing that is ;)

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 11, 2017, 1:45 pm

For the Techo minded

Power (BTU/hr)
Power (watt)

1 BTU/hr 0.293071 W
10 BTU/hr 2.930710 W
100 BTU/hr 29.307107 W
1000 BTU/hr 293.071070 W
10000 BTU/hr 2930.710700 W

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 11, 2017, 2:37 pm

maaka wrote:threw some dosh at the missus and she ended getting a cheap wee Samsung for 13000bt installed. asked if it had and inverter, she didnt know, and I am none the wiser, but the bedroom is like an icebox, when we are not playing that is ;)
Looks like it's still on special with PowerBuy as well.

That's a non-inverter BTW but since there's only going to be a couple of units, maybe I will go the same way. They do have the inverter model at 15,000 baht all-in. Not sure if anyone can come up with how much the inverter clips off the monthly electric bill to warrant the 3000 baht premium, I may consider it. Anyone?

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 11, 2017, 2:38 pm

Expat friend of mine in BKK, who is a HVAC Engineer ( air con expert ) works, in SE Asia and Australia, says an inverter unit for the bedroom is a minimum, quieter and less power over time as it doesnt need to cut in and out as much.

Daikin for me, have 6 in my place all up. 350 for small unit services, and 450 for the larger Cassette unit downstairs.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » April 11, 2017, 3:03 pm

Thanks Wazza.. I am more interested in the cost of running the AC unit. For example i have a LG 12 000 Btu inverter unit that, according to my calculations/estimate cost me 1.3 Baht per hour, we average 3.75 Baht/kwh taxes and charges included., . So if it runs from 21:00 to 07:00 next morning, a total of 10 hours it would add up to 13 Baht for the night. Has anyone a more precise cost calculation formula? Thanks in advance.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 11, 2017, 4:06 pm

the-monk wrote:Thanks Wazza.. I am more interested in the cost of running the AC unit. For example i have a LG 12 000 Btu inverter unit that, according to my calculations/estimate cost me 1.3 Baht per hour, we average 3.75 Baht/kwh taxes and charges included., . So if it runs from 21:00 to 07:00 next morning, a total of 10 hours it would add up to 13 Baht for the night. Has anyone a more precise cost calculation formula? Thanks in advance.
The best you will get is how much it costs someone to run.
As there is no way to predict the costs. as it has quite a few factors including,
outside temperature
target temperature
Room volume
wall exposure to sun
wall insulation
ceiling type
ceiling insulation
window area
IGU or plain glass
Glass tint
Lowe E glass
AC type
AC make
probably more
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » April 11, 2017, 4:21 pm

to me inverters are still too expensive ,you will never be able to recover the surplus you pay for them ,what i also have learned after inverter types in our first home is that when they brake down it will cost you more to repair... if the fixer is able enough to fix them? ...if you know what i mean...so in are present home we have normal daikins 9000btu/room 4x4m which are working fine without any problems so far (4 years) , in our new home we are building now it will also not be inverters unless they would be now more price friendly...but i think it is still a surplus of 8-12.000 baht/unit depending size ,before i checked the usage of the aircon by writing down meter when opening air and next morning after shutdown , 1 night with air , one without and you will know the difference,as at night the usage of other users will be mostly the same ...good luck.. ;)

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 11, 2017, 4:59 pm

Finally went with a Hitachi 12700 BTU non-inverter unit that they discounted heavily to bring it down to 15k baht installed (from 19.5k baht list). Installing manana so just one more night in the sweat box!

Measuring 101°F in the shade on the front patio right now.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 11, 2017, 5:03 pm

May the Heineken Gods bless your Hitachi , with an afternoon blessing on the patio

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 11, 2017, 6:52 pm

Ok,
not wanting to sway or criticize anyone either way about Invertor units because minds are made up and decisions have already been made on what individuals will procure for what ever reason, but since costs to buy and run have come up I will use data from an expert source to try and explain. I am no expert and would take far to long and get myself and other confused.
but, IMO there are cost benefits to be made installing Invertor units. I will be purchasing invertor split units soon.
read below
Not my words

Inverter Air Conditioning
Inverter air conditioning is :-
•At least 30% - 50% cheaper to run as it consumes less power
•Far quicker to achieve desired temperature
•Much quieter
•No temperature fluctuations, maximising comfort level
•Lower starting current compared with non inverter air conditioning

So, in summary an inverter air conditioning can reduce your energy bill. It will be worth paying more for an inverter air conditioning if you use your air conditioning for:-

•all year round or regularly.
•used for heating

With energy costs now still rising there is no doubt this will save you money in the long run.

What is the difference between inverter and non inverter air conditioning units?
Non inverter or Fixed speed air conditioning deliver a fixed amount of power via a fixed speed. This means the compressor has to stop and start to maintain the desired room temperature.

Inverter air conditioning system, varies the speed of the compressors, delivering precise cooling or heating power as required.

How does Inverter Air Conditioning work?

The amount of cooling or heating required by an air conditioning unit varies depending on the outdoor temperature and the amount of heat in the room.

When the cooling or heating capacity needs to be increased, the compressor will operate at a high speed and will increase the amount of refrigerant flow.

Conversely, during moderate outside temperatures for example, when the cooling and heating capacity needs to be decreased, the compressor will operate at a low speed and will decrease the amount of refrigerant flow.

When the inverter air conditioning is switched on, the compressor operates at a high speed in order to cool or heat the room quickly. As the room temperature approaches the set temperature, the compressor slows down, maintaining a constant temperature and saving energy. Any sudden fluctuation in the room temperature, will be sensed and instantly adjusted to bring the room temperature back to the set temperature.

It will be worth investing in an inverter air conditioning if you use your air conditioning all year round especially for heating your room or you use your air conditioning regularly.

kakariki
udonmap.com

Post by kakariki » April 12, 2017, 9:19 am

Interesting and worth looking into.
I've asked this before, if while your looking around I'm interested in getting a multi head unit, but they seem rare here in Udon. Multiheads in Australia usually have one main unit and 3, 5 or 8 slaves.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » April 12, 2017, 9:31 am

I also understood that inverter powered units be they refrigerators, A/C compressors et al, are relatively immune to power voltage sags since the inverter can take a wide range of AC voltage and invert it to DC for the unit to run..
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 12, 2017, 10:18 am

FrazeeDK wrote:I also understood that inverter powered units be they refrigerators, A/C compressors et al, are relatively immune to power voltage sags since the inverter can take a wide range of AC voltage and invert it to DC for the unit to run..
My understanding as well.......maybe good for those in the boonies who don't have smooth power. My last trip to Homepro appliance center.....seems like most refrigerators and washers are inverters these days....and prices are as low as previous models that weren't inverters!

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » April 12, 2017, 10:58 am

not really ' ice hockey ' Dui, even though my membrane verilli is shaped like a hockey stick, is perhaps a 4 Wood, but no, we are more into ' Pin the Tail on the Donkey ' so no Ref...

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 12, 2017, 12:44 pm

maaka wrote:not really ' ice hockey ' Dui, even though my membrane verilli is shaped like a hockey stick, is perhaps a 4 Wood, but no, we are more into ' Pin the Tail on the Donkey ' so no Ref...

Good one maaka, didn't realize it was a bedroom game, but if that's the only place you have and AC unit on a hot evening then well and good, carry on.
Attachments
Donkey.jpg
Donkey.jpg (7.82 KiB) Viewed 3046 times
PIN the TAIL.png
PIN the TAIL.png (42.74 KiB) Viewed 3046 times

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 12, 2017, 2:43 pm

My rooms are about the same size as yours and I have 10 x 9400 btu Samsung non inverted units and they have all performed marvellously for a year trouble free and whilst I'm sure the bigger inverted units are better I have to say mine do the job nicely and are very inexpensive.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » April 12, 2017, 2:52 pm

the problem in los is that the shops always oversize the btu needed for a room ,i also look at the inverter like this,for the price of an inverter one i can buy 2 non inverters almost ,and as i said i have done the real test non inverter versus inverter type and the kw profit from inverter was not a lot more profitable as the non inverter , in real i mean , not on paper... but as long as you are happy ...and stay happy...;)

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”