Udon Immigration

General Udon Thani topics only!
tonika
udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by tonika » March 17, 2016, 1:29 pm

Has anyone extended their Multiple Entry, Retirement Visa, here at Udon Immigration recently. And if so, can I ask how much were you charged ?.

udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by 12345 » March 17, 2016, 3:07 pm

Airportwo
udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by Airportwo » March 17, 2016, 3:55 pm

I did mine about six months ago, if I remember correctly they wanted 6k baht to do it there and then, if I was going to leave it with them for a month there would be no "surcharge" for quick service! Just another way for them to make money!

rick
udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by rick » March 17, 2016, 4:25 pm

Perhaps we need to be clear about what was being asked. Was it asking for another 30 days on a visa or an annual extension to an non-immigrant 'O'. Both 1900 baht, but the annual extension you have to wait 30 days for (unless you pay an extra 'fee').

tonika
udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by tonika » March 17, 2016, 6:42 pm

The reason I asked was when I went today, she charged me B 7300, which I thought was quite steep. And I couldn't get a receipt. Just wondering, if this was the norm ?.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by fdimike » March 17, 2016, 8:34 pm

I just picked my single entry retirement extension today (original application made 30 days ago). The cost was the standard 1900THB.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by Wee Jimmy » March 17, 2016, 9:04 pm

Could be this- fast track extension = 3800 baht + m/entry = 3500 baht. total = 7300 baht.

tonika
udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by tonika » March 17, 2016, 10:03 pm

Yes, Wee Jimmy

She did say it was fast tracked, that would explain it, thanks for that.

dingdong
udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by dingdong » March 18, 2016, 9:21 pm

Just did mine also last week Multi entry , one year , retirement visa (my 3rd year for renewing) 7300 baht also
Hope this helps

fdimike
udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by fdimike » March 19, 2016, 7:21 am

Interesting hearing about the extra charges to expedite visa service. Apparently NOT all the UT IOs are into this scheme because when I asked to have my single entry visa extension expedited because I was going on a bicycle trip I was told no by the senior IO. It was not that big a problem for me as the high temps played a more important part in curtailing my trip than the refusal to expedite my extension. I continue to refuse to pay anything extra without receiving a receipt.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 19, 2016, 7:53 am

First point. Udon immigration do not issue visas and a visa can never be extended. Except in exceptional circumstances all visas are issued outside Thailand by embassies or consulates. A visa can be single entry multiple entry or for a specified number of entry's and you have to leave Thailand and come back to activate an entry. If you enter on the last day of the visa you will be stamped with permission to stay for the period your visa permits.
If you have a multi entry visa you will not need a rentry permit until the expiry date on the visa.

A rentry permit keeps your permission to stay in Thailand alive if you leave within its time limit

Udon immigration issues extensions of stay ( this is not a visa, it is important to distinguish between a visa and an extension of stay because different rules apply) an extension of stay costs 1,900
A single entry rentry permit costs 1,000
A multiple entry rentry permit costs 3,800

So you can pay 1,900 2,900 or 5,700 and get receipts.

At the moment both extensions of stay for retirement and marriage get an under consideration stamp this is usually 30 days. Then you go back for another stamp

If you wish to contribute to the staff welfare fund :roll: your extensions of stay for retirement can be processed on the same day, as they were in the past.
You will never get a receipt for a contribution to the staff welfare fund :roll:
You can, and should, get receipts for all payments
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Balthasar G.
udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by Balthasar G. » March 19, 2016, 12:00 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:... a visa can never be extended.
What are words worth ...

I hope I die in my sleep like my grand dad did, not screaming like his passengers

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 19, 2016, 1:13 pm

Balthasar G. wrote:
sometimewoodworker wrote:... a visa can never be extended.
What are words worth ...

Sorry even though that is the wording that has been used it is incorrect it has probably been simplified because of the unique situation in Thailand. Do not forget that English is not the first language and that translation from Thai to English is not a science it is an art. The rules are in Thai so the exact meaning is the Thai meaning not the translated English. I'm sure you have seen some interesting translations.

If you are on an extension of your permission to stay it will not be named as an extension of your visa. In your passport. Do please check for yourself.

Thailand is unique in that the visa and permission to stay are separate entities. In most countries any permission to stay in the country expires with the visa. In Thailand the visa lets you enter the country you are then issued with a permission to stay, this can finish after your visa expires.

To give an example: In the case of an O-A visa (this is a one year multi entry visa) Every time you enter with that visa you get a 1 year permission to stay stamp, until it expires, if you entered for the first time on the first day of that visa and enter again on the last day you can stay in Thailand for almost 2 years. During the second year you need a rentry permit because your visa has expired (you have no visa).

So to sum up a visa lets you enter Thailand but by itself does not let you stay in Thailand. The IO at the boarder issues a permission to stay in Thailand or an immigration office can extend that permission to stay.

Multi entry visas do not need a rentry permit
Extensions of stay need rentry permit if you wish to exit and return without getting a new visa or visa exempt entry.

You may say that it's only semantics and that permission to stay and visa mean the same, but they do not in Thailand.
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Balthasar G.
udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by Balthasar G. » March 19, 2016, 2:35 pm

First point. Udon immigration do not issue visas and a visa can never be extended.
To my knowledge you CAN get a Non-Immigrant “O” Visa at Immigration if you want to apply for an extension of stay but don't hold a Non-Immigrant “O” or “O-A” Visa. They will accept both the visa application and the extension of stay application at the same time.
Multi entry visas do not need a rentry permit. Extensions of stay need rentry permit if you wish to exit and return without getting a new visa or visa exempt entry. .
Similarly, you can get a Multiple re-entry permit for your extension of stay (based on retirement) if you pay an extra Bht3,800, which roughly equals the price difference between a single entry and a multiple entry Non-O Visa.
You may say that it's only semantics and that permission to stay and visa mean the same, but they do not in Thailand.
Of course a visa and an extension of stay are materially not the same thing. One is a sticker and the other is a stamp, but a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
I hope I die in my sleep like my grand dad did, not screaming like his passengers

pal52
udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by pal52 » March 19, 2016, 3:36 pm

To my knowledge you CAN get a Non-Immigrant “O” Visa at Immigration if you want to apply for an extension of stay but don't hold a Non-Immigrant “O” or “O-A” Visa. They will accept both the visa application and the extension of stay application at the same time.

You can not get a Visa at Udon Immigration. I have tried it.
Had 60 day tourist visa & asked to change to a retirement visa having all the necessary requirements for the retirement visa. (800,000 in bank etc).
I was told I had to leave the country & get Non Immigrant O Visa then they would extend it to a 1 year retirement visa.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 19, 2016, 4:21 pm

Balthasar G. wrote:
First point. Udon immigration do not issue visas and a visa can never be extended.
Did you miss the point I made.
Except in exceptional circumstances all visas are issued outside Thailand by embassies or consulates
As has been mentioned Udon immigration can not do that for you. It can only be done at a regional immigration office. The only reports of that happening are in ChangWattana and Chang Mai.
I know about that case and have posted here about it. However it has no relevance to the vast majority of people and none at all for the OP
Multi entry visas do not need a rentry permit. Extensions of stay need rentry permit if you wish to exit and return without getting a new visa or visa exempt entry. .
Similarly, you can get a Multiple re-entry permit for your extension of stay (based on retirement) if you pay an extra Bht3,800, which roughly equals the price difference between a single entry and a multiple entry Non-O Visa.
Of course a visa and an extension of stay are materially not the same thing. One is a sticker and the other is a stamp, but a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
The difference is important as the rules are not the same.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 19, 2016, 4:25 pm

Balthasar G. wrote:
Did you miss the point I made.
Except in exceptional circumstances all visas are issued outside Thailand by embassies or consulates
As has been mentioned Udon immigration can not do that for you. It can only be done at a regional immigration office. The only reports of that happening are in ChangWattana and Chang Mai.
I know about that case and have posted here about it. However it has no relevance to the vast majority of people and none at all for the OP
The difference is important as the rules are not the same.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 19, 2016, 5:00 pm

pal52 wrote:To my knowledge you CAN get a Non-Immigrant “O” Visa at Immigration if you want to apply for an extension of stay but don't hold a Non-Immigrant “O” or “O-A” Visa. They will accept both the visa application and the extension of stay application at the same time.

Had 60 day tourist visa & asked to change to a retirement visa having all the necessary requirements for the retirement visa. (800,000 in bank etc).
I was told I had to leave the country & get Non Immigrant O Visa then they would extend it to a 1 year retirement visa.
There are a few reports giving the same information.

From Udon it is easier cheaper and faster to go to Laos for a visa unless you are going to Bangkok anyway. Although Chang Mai has been known to do the visa exempt/TV to O to extension of stay if you have at least 15 days remaining on your entry, there are also many reports of it being a nightmare office due to the number of people using it.

pal52
udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by pal52 » March 19, 2016, 5:24 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
pal52 wrote:To my knowledge you CAN get a Non-Immigrant “O” Visa at Immigration if you want to apply for an extension of stay but don't hold a Non-Immigrant “O” or “O-A” Visa. They will accept both the visa application and the extension of stay application at the same time.

There are a few reports giving the same information.

From Udon it is easier cheaper and faster to go to Laos for a visa unless you are going to Bangkok anyway. Although Chang Mai has been known to do the visa exempt/TV to O to extension of stay if you have at least 15 days remaining on your entry, there are also many reports of it being a nightmare office due to the number of people using it.
You are correct sometimewoodworker.
I contacted Siam Legal & they informed me I could change a tourist visa into a retirement (Non O Visa).
It had to be done in Bangkok at the Foreign Ministry office & was not guaranteed .
It would also cost me approx 30,000 baht for them to do it plus my flight & accommodation in Bangkok.
Udon Immigration can not do it.

Somchai499
udonmap.com

Udon Immigration

Post by Somchai499 » March 19, 2016, 7:17 pm

You can convert a tourist visa (and a 30 day visa exempt entry) into a Non-O visa as long as you have 14 days left on the permit of stay and you can show THB 800,000 (assuming you go for retirement) in a bank account in your name. The conversion can be done in BKK immigration office Chaeng Wattana or Chiang Mai. The fee is THB 2,000.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”