Traffic Cameras and Tickets by Mail

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » November 22, 2015, 9:15 am

Last week I received a ticket in the mail, complete with photos, for running a red light. What the photo also revealed was I was half way through the intersection when the light changed. Also it showed the car that was very close behind me and determined to make the light. Had I have stopped surely that car would be in my rear seat :D

However I know the cops don't want to hear excuses so I am OK with donating to their fund. I went to the Police Station to pay my fine. When I presented the ticket, the man behind the desk chuckled and said "My Pen Rai Kop". I asked "Jai Tao Rai" (How much). He said "My Jai Kop" and put it with what looked like several others in a desk drawer. I politely said "Kop Koon Mak" and left. He said something else I did not understand since I did not have my interpreter with me. I think he was saying it was a warning.

I don't know what is going on but assume since they have been told they cannot put up all the checkpoints like before they are looking for another income stream. It would be interesting to see how many Thais respond to the tickets by mail :D

A friend of mine, a few months ago, got a speeding ticket in the mail with photos. Since he was leaving Thailand he just ignored it.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 22, 2015, 9:37 am

Not specifically to your case, but if the cops can tag red light runners with a camera, I'm okay with that......especially if I'm the guy with a green light, about to cross an intersection.

Now, specifically to your case.......I don't think the 'guy behind me was on my tail so I couldn't stop ' defense would carry much if any weight in a traffic court.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 22, 2015, 9:57 am

ACTUALLY Thai LAW IS QUITE EXACT IN THE MATTER OF TAIL-GATING AS IT WERE, IF YOU HIT THE MAN IN FRONT IT is YOUR FAULT.
Now having said that most Police would like a compromise, but in the two cases I have been involved in, I always stated his fault or court, up to you, they decide that the man at the back is to blame and off we all go happy except the blind deaf and probably drunk man who hit me.
No vast amounts of damage but it is the principal, if you cannot stop without hitting the man in front then you are driving to close and dangerously. That applies to ALL forms of motor vehicles and motorbikes. !!

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » November 22, 2015, 10:31 am

All well and good in normal society but TIT. The fahlang is always wrong! Also, just because I am in the right I am not going to let someone run into my rear if I can help it.

The point of the post was not whether I was right or wrong; I accept that. The point was to warn of increasing numbers of traffic cameras.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 22, 2015, 11:17 am

Charlieb wrote:The point was to warn of increasing numbers of traffic cameras.
Thanks for the heads-up!

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 22, 2015, 12:02 pm

parrot wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up!
Yes many thanks for the heads up Charlie ...

The stretch of highway UD - KK - Korat - Saraburi - Bkk now has hundreds of cameras fitted and where there are road works in progress temporary signage denotes a camera image plus the speed limit in that area 40 - 60 usually being the case in and around the works.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » November 22, 2015, 12:20 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
parrot wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up!
Yes many thanks for the heads up Charlie ...

The stretch of highway UD - KK - Korat - Saraburi - Bkk now has hundreds of cameras fitted and where there are road works in progress temporary signage denotes a camera image plus the speed limit in that area 40 - 60 usually being the case in and around the works.

DM
Sounds like a good business to get into, calibrating hundreds of cameras. They wouldn't have thought of it yet. :D

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » November 22, 2015, 2:51 pm

calibrate?? why bother?
Dave

thrilled
udonmap.com

Post by thrilled » November 22, 2015, 11:57 pm

The way the traffic light works in where I live is,if your
Coming toward an intersection and the light turns yellow,Amber then it means your supposed to slow down
And stop and wait for the light to go to red and then of course green.So if someone behind you was going to go thru the yellow light he can't now.If he hits you then it's on him.Supposely all people need to be in control of their vehicle.I'm in the US .Not sure about thailand laws

GARYZX6R
udonmap.com

Post by GARYZX6R » November 23, 2015, 9:45 pm

Their was an article in the Bangkok Post about a month ago saying over 70% of these tickets are not paid ... No surprise there then . Half the drivers on the road dont have a licence or insurance so they arnt going to pay a fine in the post . :roll:

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 24, 2015, 12:51 am

GARYZX6R wrote:Their was an article in the Bangkok Post about a month ago saying over 70% of these tickets are not paid ... No surprise there then . Half the drivers on the road dont have a licence or insurance so they arnt going to pay a fine in the post . :roll:
Good point ....... sobering to think that if one is unfortunately involved in an RTA .. most times at least one party has no valid insurance or driving license .. and the BIB are always easy to deal with . :^o

As for traffic fines via post ...JOKE ..... as is both the postal service and the National road traffic fines collection system , the cost to follow up a CROSS PROVINCIAL non payment via camera / post is currently 4 times the payment ... and in most cases never happens .

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » November 24, 2015, 6:10 pm

I'd read one time that these outstanding unpaid traffic fines are inputted to the Land Transport office.. So, when folks go to pay their annual vehicle tax and to get their annual windshield sticker they have to pony up any unpaid fines.. Now, I suppose they could just not bother to get insurance, the annual sticker etc., but those stickers are a key "stop" issue for the BiB if they're not up to date...
Dave

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » November 25, 2015, 5:21 pm

many traffic camera's in bangkok with automatic registration of offenders ,they will apply this in many main cities,and those whom think they can toss the by mail fine in the garbage , will have a surprise next time they will try to pay their road tax , what will not be allowed unless you pay your fine (+ interest by that time) ...so beware .... ;)

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » November 25, 2015, 5:53 pm

Just a heads up for riders can't use the tunnel in Khan Kean, one the guys has a real nice photo of himself on the bike now only 400 Baht what a deal :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bypass works great

Funny I've never gotten a ticket wife has gotten a few though :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » November 25, 2015, 6:37 pm

Seen lots of bikes go thru that tunnel
Must be enforcing the no bike rule there now

GARYZX6R
udonmap.com

Post by GARYZX6R » November 25, 2015, 7:06 pm

kopkei wrote:many traffic camera's in bangkok with automatic registration of offenders ,they will apply this in many main cities,and those whom think they can toss the by mail fine in the garbage , will have a surprise next time they will try to pay their road tax , what will not be allowed unless you pay your fine (+ interest by that time) ...so beware .... ;)
What a load of rubbish [-X Facts would be better than what you think . :roll:
Suggest you read the Bangkok post you might be inlightened..

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » November 26, 2015, 8:36 am

GARYZX6R wrote:
kopkei wrote:many traffic camera's in bangkok with automatic registration of offenders ,they will apply this in many main cities,and those whom think they can toss the by mail fine in the garbage , will have a surprise next time they will try to pay their road tax , what will not be allowed unless you pay your fine (+ interest by that time) ...so beware .... ;)
What a load of rubbish [-X Facts would be better than what you think . :roll:
Suggest you read the Bangkok post you might be inlightened..
A few years ago I received a parking ticket for illegal parking on Pattaya Central Road.
Went to the police station to pay it.
The car was registered in Udon.
The police informed me that if I had not paid it the fine would be a lot more when I went to renew my tax in Udon.
Also i could not pay the tax & insurance until the fine was paid.

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » November 26, 2015, 9:24 am

I am still curious why, when I went to pay my fine, the man behind the desk said I did not pay anything. Weird!!

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » November 26, 2015, 9:43 am

Charlieb wrote:I am still curious why, when I went to pay my fine, the man behind the desk said I did not pay anything. Weird!!
I had a ticket put on my windscreen.
My wife said it was for illegal parking & had to pay at the police station.
I said to my wife they would not do anything if I did not pay as the car was registered in Udon.
She insisted on going to the Police station where they informed her that if I did not pay it would cost a lot more when I went to pay my tax.
This was a few years ago so it is not a new thing where they can enforce the fine when you go to pay your tax.

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » November 26, 2015, 12:20 pm

You miss the point! I tried to pay the fine. The officer in the Traffic Fine office said I did not have to pay.

Why, if I offered to pay then and there, would they wait till I go to pay my tax and then make me pay? Your response makes little sense to me.

Return to “Travel & Transport”