What is the best Thai resort if you have children?

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.

Phuket
18%
Koh Chang
23%
Koh Lanta
9%
Koh Samui
18%
Other
32%

Total votes: 22

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » April 11, 2008, 10:42 pm

A friend of mine is coming to Thailand for the first time later in the year. She has 2 sons aged 12 and 9. She is looking for a beach resort. She has checked the net and so far likes a place she has seen on Koh Chang. Now I haven't said it yet but I was on Koh Chang 4 years ago and it was a disaster however I'm sure it was a once off as it was a brand new resort.

So in your opinions what is the most child friendly place here? Phuket, Koh Chang, Lanta or Samui?

I'll make it a poll... :D

Thank you.

hxjohn
udonmap.com

Post by hxjohn » April 11, 2008, 10:53 pm

long time since i was on koh chang diveing so ccouldent really say what its like these days i would go for samui myself good jumping of spot for the other islands around

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » April 11, 2008, 10:57 pm

voted phuket, but not patong beach. partial to kata/karon area. been to the other 3, and really didn't care for them. chang had more shittt in the water than the toilets, samui, overpriced and water nothing special. hard to get bored at phuket. lanta was ok, but think the young ones may get bored.

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » April 11, 2008, 11:27 pm

I voted other for the Krabi area. I spent a little over a month there and thought it was family oriented.
We stayed here: http://www.jungle-village.com/ A very family friendly place. The owners, Niels and his family, run the place as a family. Niels direct #: 089 971 4154.
I think rates will be more negotiable in May.
One can always do assorted day trips from Krabi to surrounding areas, including Phuket (a two hour drive), also there used to be a ferry to Phuket.
I would assume it is still in operation. Arjay?

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » April 11, 2008, 11:51 pm

If they come to Phuket, they shouldn't come before November. High season starts then and runs until end of March. In October it rains a lot. As LA says the more appropriate resorts for children would be Kata or Karon in that order, avoid Patong. Kamala, which is home to Phuket Fantasea has a nice beach, but not much else for children.

It does depend what they are looking for - e.g. quiet beaches, children's entertainment, boat trips etc.

With Krabi, the beaches are not so good (Ao Nang is more of a base to take longtail boat trips from), unless you isolate yourself somewhere like Raillay, but then you need to take a longtail ferry to go anywhere else. There are daily ferry boats between Phuket (Town harbour) and Krabi - Ao Nang/Nopparat. And also to Phi Phi from both places, not suitable though unless high season (Nov - March).

Lanta Island is OK, not so developed. Overall though I would suggest either Phuket or possibly Samui. Samui has a different high season and weather to Phuket.

cookie
udonmap.com

Post by cookie » April 12, 2008, 8:49 am

Why not Chaam or huahin?
But have to admit that my daughter is only 3 years old,
perhaps chaam is too quiet for children of older age...

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » April 12, 2008, 8:59 am

I think Koh Chang is the best for kids!Not so much wild nightlife or parties.Long slopeing beaches without an undertow.The kids can wade out for 100-200 meters.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » April 12, 2008, 3:23 pm

it really depends on what shes looking for. i was on ko chang 2 weeks ago, good beaches but you gotta be selective. but the beaches are safe for kids, wade out a long way ,no undercurrents. things to do, kyaking, quad bikes, elephant trekking in the jungle, boat trips to lots of differant islands, scuba diving and snorkeling, paragliding. its much less in your face than phuket, and safer swimming. not too many bars but enough, and in my opinion less expensive than phuket. but i must add everywhere you go , there building. changed a lot in the 2 years i was there last. hope this helps.

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » April 13, 2008, 7:24 am

She is planning Dec/Jan to take in Christmas/new year... 4 years since I was on Koh Chang saint and my resort was still being built. :D

With 2 active boys, 12 and 9 just plenty of things to keep them amused.

Thanks for the input so far chaps.

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » April 13, 2008, 6:49 pm

I spent 4 days on Koh Chang it was the best 4 days I spent on any vacation. the cost then was about 125.00
day USD and that included every thing. I have always been planning to get back there but problems keep popping up to prevent me from going again

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » April 14, 2008, 12:06 am

Thanks Ron and all... She has plenty of time (I hope) to make up her mind. Seems like Koh Chang is looking good.

P.S. Hope you are up and around soon Ron. Wish you a speedy recovery.

souness
udonmap.com
Location: helping in the search for irish allan.(kirkby,liverpool,uk)

Post by souness » April 14, 2008, 10:08 am

hello alan from one liverpool fanatic to another.im from kirkby what part of the city are you from?
by coincedence we were in the flat iron pub before yesterdays game.im sure youve been init many times.
we got talking to this guy whose been alot to thaland including udon.
he said stevieg.and colleen stayed at a place called the amanpuri ? in phuket and it was fabulos.maybe its a bit pricy for your freind but theres the kata thani on kata beach phuket.big hotel nice beach and lots to do for kids and not expensive.
he said tell her dont stay in pattaya brcause there are plenty of lowlifes.
me and my mate are staying there before we come to udon.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » April 14, 2008, 12:55 pm

I.A.....as my opinions on football have made such an impression on you,here are my views on Koh Chang.
Last went there April 2007.....previously January 2002,the island has become a lot more developed in those 5 years.
But the beaches are still lovely and you can wade out into the sea a hundred metres more in some places.
The best places to stay,in my opinion,are either Whitesands or Klong Prau.
Whitesands is more lively and even has its own Irish pub,not a bad nightlife.
Klong Prau is quieter but has the nicer beach.
The two times we've stayed has been at the Klong Prau Resort,a large hotel situated right on the beach.
There does seem to be some sort of sangtaew system for getting around the island but dont know if there is some sort of timetable or just pot luck.
Most of the larger hotels have minibuses that can take you around the resorts but it costs.

Another alternative to Koh Chang could be Hua-Hin.....over 7 kilometres of sandy beach.Theres plenty of restaurants and nightlife.A good hotel is the Thiparai,about 5 minutes walk from the beach.Rooms from 1500 baht including breakfast.

Zidane
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

greg34

Post by greg34 » April 15, 2008, 2:17 am

souness wrote: we got talking to this guy whose been alot to thailand including udon.
he said stevieg.and colleen stayed at a place called the amanpuri ? in phuket and it was fabulos.maybe its a bit pricy for your freind but theres the kata thani on kata beach phuket.big hotel nice beach and lots to do for kids and not expensive.
he said tell her dont stay in pattaya brcause there are plenty of lowlifes.
me and my mate are staying there before we come to udon.
I with the family (2 adults, 2 kids) usually we stay in Mercure Hotel Pattaya. We quite accept quality of service and the price.
By the way, we have not noticed any infringements of the law.

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » April 15, 2008, 11:39 pm

souness wrote:hello alan from one liverpool fanatic to another.im from kirkby what part of the city are you from?
Dublin.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Zidane wrote:I.A.....as my opinions on football have made such an impression on you,here are my views on Koh Chang.
Zidane
Well as you have Beyonce as your avatar I trust your judgement on SOME things. ;)

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » April 16, 2008, 11:20 am

M.U.T.C. (Manchester United Travel Club.....happy to help supporters less fortunate than ourselves...) :D

Thank you for your kind words about my avatar.Sorry I cannot say the same for yours.I think many people might find it offensive.Please remove it. :D

Only joking I.A. dont take it personally.I have to laugh about all the fuss about these avatars on the forum.

Arjay,please please re-instate your avatars of "silly,half naked girls"......your current avatar is nearly as bad as Irish Alans :lol:

Zidane
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » February 21, 2014, 2:48 pm

I know, six year old thread resurrected.
Anyone have a updated opinion to the question "What is the best Thai resort if you have children?"
Thinking of going somewhere during the school break. Looking for suggestions.
UFF DA!

karonsteve
udonmap.com

Post by karonsteve » February 21, 2014, 3:11 pm

Having lived in Phuket for 8 years and left the place I would avoid it like the plague. Your wife will probably have problems recognizing the "locals" as Thais.
What do you and the children want to do when you get there?

Koh Lipe would be my choice.

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » February 21, 2014, 3:24 pm

karonsteve wrote:Having lived in Phuket for 8 years and left the place I would avoid it like the plague. Your wife will probably have problems recognizing the "locals" as Thais.
What do you and the children want to do when you get there?

Koh Lipe would be my choice.
Swimming, playing on the beach, activities suitable for a 5 and 8 yo. Someplace by the ocean that isn't overrun with tourists and not overpriced.
I'll do a search on Koh Lipe. Any hotel recommendations?
UFF DA!

SkyyWalker
udonmap.com

Post by SkyyWalker » February 21, 2014, 5:52 pm

We've been to this place before and look forward to returning...just south of Hua Hin.

http://www.dolphinbayresort.com/

Return to “Travel & Transport”