Sakon Nakhon

Issan the rural northeast forum
Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Sakon Nakhon

Post by Sakhonnick » June 21, 2013, 4:35 pm

Have any of your guys made it to Sakon Nakhon?

Ive been living there a couple of years now and live in the city center.

What has it got to offer? well......

Nightlife: a couple of bars that expats go to that serve food, Apple, So Good, Pit Stop, there is a thai bar that has a pool table called Welcome bar, and there are a couple of big thai country music bars on is a (tawangdeng) and there is the Golden Pond Disco, There is karaokes around the ring roads of the town, No beerbars with girls not saying girls are not available though!!

Restraunts: the thaifrench beef place is a on the That Phanom road so there is a few places around town that serve good steaks, there is a couple of good ( Moo Ga Ta ) restraunts that do the table BBQ dish and a few good thai places also.

Shopping: Global, Thai Watsadu, Home Pro, Home mart, Robinsons (opens 27th June) Big C Tesco and Robinsons will have Tops etc

All in all its a quiet place but for looks its a nicer place than Udon, more greenery, nice parks, hills and a huge lake, There are a good bunch of expats that live there also so you would feel welcome, I like it as a place to live, Udon is 2 hour drive away for a break and there is a daily flight from Sakon Airport to BKK with Nok Air

Anyone else got input to the town feel free im not an expert on the place just what ive learned myself

frederico
udonmap.com

Sakon Nakhon

Post by frederico » June 21, 2013, 4:46 pm

Hello Sir!

I live here since 6 months and I,m happy too. I live in Tawat a little bit outside, near the french place with a lot of cows.
You are welcome to contact me on ********

Regards
Freddy

Mod Note
Freddy I have sent your telephone number to Nick by PM..
Maybe not the sort of thing to leave about on the internet... :D :D

Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Sakon Nakhon

Post by Sakhonnick » June 21, 2013, 5:05 pm

Hi Freddy, if you go to those places i mentioned you can meet most expats, im out of town for a while with work so a few weeks before im back.

Back on Sakon: i think this town will get very big soon, There are a few Private Village building develpoments going on the biggest being Areeya lake View Phase 1 ,2 and 3, each with around 100 houses ranging from 1.5-4.5 MTHB, Phase 1 complete already or sold out i mean.

The best part ive found out about living there is the traffic is bearable easy to get most things done and the good bunch of expats that live there, to me thats what makes the place a good spot to live in

Svein66
udonmap.com

Sakon Nakhon

Post by Svein66 » June 21, 2013, 5:40 pm

UDFC will travel to Sakhon Nakhon on August 17th, so that might be a good day for us in Udon to visit that town.

747man
udonmap.com

Sakon Nakhon

Post by 747man » June 21, 2013, 5:52 pm

Svein66 wrote:UDFC will travel to Sakhon Nakhon on August 17th, so that might be a good day for us in Udon to visit that town.
WoW !! A Local Derby Match !!! Boxing Gloves at the ready..... :lol: :lol:

gudtymchuk
udonmap.com

Sakon Nakhon

Post by gudtymchuk » June 21, 2013, 6:00 pm

I lived in Sakon Nakhon for a year before moving to Udon 2+ years ago. I'm not a drinker so can't help with the bar scene. Sakon will see rapid growth in the next several years as another shopping and business hub with the opening of the new bridge across the Mekong in Nakhon Phanom 90 km to the northeast. I would probably still be living there if not for the crap golf course. Traffic definitely much more agreeable as opposed to Udon. Tuk Tuk's are not allowed inside the city proper but bicycle samlars are which can be a pain. Slowly they are adding 2 additional lanes to the highway between Udon and Sakon but still about 80 km of very dangerous 2 lane roads especially when sugar cane trucks are hauling to the sugar factory east of Sawang. As has already been said, a new Robinson's with Tops and other shops will be opening end of this month.
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Sakon Nakhon

Post by WBU ALUM » June 21, 2013, 6:15 pm

Sakhonnick wrote:Have any of your guys made it to Sakon Nakhon?

Ive been living there a couple of years now and live in the city center.

What has it got to offer? well......

Nightlife: a couple of bars that expats go to that serve food, Apple, So Good, Pit Stop, there is a thai bar that has a pool table called Welcome bar, and there are a couple of big thai country music bars on is a (tawangdeng) and there is the Golden Pond Disco, There is karaokes around the ring roads of the town, No beerbars with girls not saying girls are not available though!!

Restraunts: the thaifrench beef place is a on the That Phanom road so there is a few places around town that serve good steaks, there is a couple of good ( Moo Ga Ta ) restraunts that do the table BBQ dish and a few good thai places also.

Shopping: Global, Thai Watsadu, Home Pro, Home mart, Robinsons (opens 27th June) Big C Tesco and Robinsons will have Tops etc

All in all its a quiet place but for looks its a nicer place than Udon, more greenery, nice parks, hills and a huge lake, There are a good bunch of expats that live there also so you would feel welcome, I like it as a place to live, Udon is 2 hour drive away for a break and there is a daily flight from Sakon Airport to BKK with Nok Air

Anyone else got input to the town feel free im not an expert on the place just what ive learned myself
Yes, I've been to SakNak and had a wonderful time! A group of us were there for a Bike Rally.

All we needed was right there at Golden Pond -- food, wine, women and song. :D =D> :D

Overall, SakNak is not the liveliest of places as far as nightlife, but that area immediately surrounding the Golden Pond area was tons of fun. It's all we could have wanted.

We did meet some expats there at the Bike Rally site who live in and around SakNak, and they were very helpful and hospitable towards us. They also told us about Apple's, and we had lunch there. Very nice fellow there and very friendly patrons.

We enjoyed our time there, and we plan to return! =D>

Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Sakon Nakhon

Post by Sakhonnick » June 21, 2013, 7:05 pm

Nightlife: forgot to mention at the Golden Pond area there is a soapy massage place, a beach Club that has coyotee girls, and behind here on the back road down from Tesco there is 2 thai pubs that serve food and have live music, clientel mostly the student type, nice decor places. also there is a small wodden bar down near the police station that has a band and this guy plays about 10 different instruments worth a visit. Also around maybe 5 or 6 oil/thai massage shops around town

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Sakon Nakhon

Post by WBU ALUM » June 21, 2013, 7:25 pm

Sakhonnick wrote:Nightlife: forgot to mention at the Golden Pond area there is a soapy massage place, a beach Club that has coyotee girls, and behind here on the back road down from Tesco there is 2 thai pubs that serve food and have live music, clientel mostly the student type, nice decor places. also there is a small wodden bar down near the police station that has a band and this guy plays about 10 different instruments worth a visit. Also around maybe 5 or 6 oil/thai massage shops around town
Gee thanks. Now everybody knows! :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We did go to all of those places and those bars on the back road behind Tesco were fun. We didn't know about the bar by the police station. We'll have to look for that next time.

There was a great little bar right across the street from the Bike Rally that had good music (live) and great staff. None of that "sexy man" stuff, just fun and good music. Don't know the name, but I could find it again if I had to. Very nice little place.

If you take the time to look around and ask and ride around a bit, you will be surprised what you find in new and different towns in Thailand. Seek and ye shall find -- always with an open mind. Smiles and friendly greetings are universal and go a long way to getting assistance. =D>

747man
udonmap.com

Sakon Nakhon

Post by 747man » June 21, 2013, 7:51 pm

WBU..........And I'll bet you tried " The Soapy " Did'nt you ??

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Sakon Nakhon

Post by WBU ALUM » June 21, 2013, 8:17 pm

747man wrote:WBU..........And I'll bet you tried " The Soapy " Did'nt you ??
Actually, no. I came ill-prepared for soapy; but we spent a very long time in the pole-dancing places with the lovely skimpy-bikini-clad coyote ladies. Very nice.
:D

747man
udonmap.com

Sakon Nakhon

Post by 747man » June 21, 2013, 8:57 pm

But You'll be back as you said, Earlier !!

Quanteen
udonmap.com

Sakon Nakhon

Post by Quanteen » June 21, 2013, 8:58 pm

Perhaps a road-trip is on order.

Quanteen
udonmap.com

Sakon Nakhon

Post by Quanteen » June 21, 2013, 9:10 pm

What exactly is required to be prepared for a soapy?

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Sakon Nakhon

Post by WBU ALUM » June 21, 2013, 9:58 pm

Quanteen wrote:Perhaps a road-trip is on order.
Let me know.

When I said "ill-prepared", I guess I should have stated "surprised when the opportunity presented itself." I was more into partying with my friends and the coyotes. It was also late into the night when we learned about it, and we were into the wind; but I did file it for future reference. The next time, I will not be so encumbered.
:D

Harpo
udonmap.com

Sakon Nakhon

Post by Harpo » June 22, 2013, 8:25 am

gudtymchuk Wrote:
Slowly they are adding 2 additional lanes to the highway between Udon and Sakon but still about 80 km of very dangerous 2 lane roads especially when sugar cane trucks are hauling to the sugar factory east of Sawang.

I have to agree with Gudtymchuk, with those sugar trucks, and other trucks, averaging about 60 to 70 kilometres. The Thai's seem to take amazing personal risk to theirs, and other persons lives on the road to pass these trucks
My Thai wife's family come from just outside Sakon Nakhon, and I have driven that route many times during the day light hours, however on one occasion I had to return to Udon at night. I passed by the result of 2 rather nasty vehicle accidents, so that is the first, and last time, I will be driving at night, out on the highways :shock: :shock: :shock:

As for Sakon Nakhon (city) and Provence, I found the place very hospitable, friendly folks, and good food.....cheer harpo =D> =D> =D>
Great Southern Land

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Sakon Nakhon

Post by WBU ALUM » June 22, 2013, 10:31 am

Harpo wrote:The Thai's seem to take amazing personal risk to theirs, and other persons lives on the road to pass these trucks
My Thai wife's family come from just outside Sakon Nakhon, and I have driven that route many times during the day light hours, however on one occasion I had to return to Udon at night. I passed by the result of 2 rather nasty vehicle accidents, so that is the first, and last time, I will be driving at night, out on the highways :shock: :shock: :shock:
I have ridden LOTS of 2-land roads in Thailand, and the ones on Hwy 22 between Udon and SakNak have some of the most dangerous drivers I have ever witnessed. It is flat-out scary how much risk and danger that they place in everyone's safety who is around them. I can't believe that there are that many important businessmen late for important meetings. What the heck is so damn important for some of these people that they have to drive the way they do? I'm just glad that my experience with it has prevented me from being killed.

jimstevens

Sakon Nakhon

Post by jimstevens » August 29, 2013, 11:16 am

Please be more specific about the location of the Golden Pond area, soapy massage, etc. I'm traveling to Sakon soon and would like to enjoy some entertainment. :razz:

Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Sakon Nakhon

Post by Sakhonnick » August 30, 2013, 7:55 am

When driving into Sakon City from Udon you will pass on your right Robinsons, then Hompro, Then Tesco Lotus, the road turns to the right, go though 3 sets of lights then turn right, Drive 300meters and Golden Pond Disco is on the right with the massage place right next door. If your lost stop and ask any thai im sure they know about Golden Pond

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Sakon Nakhon

Post by BigBubba » August 31, 2013, 11:23 pm

Quanteen wrote:What exactly is required to be prepared for a soapy?
Good one! :lol:

Maybe a little blue pill ;)
Every day I wake up is a good day.

Return to “Northeast Thailand (Issan)”