Refinishing Outdoor Swing

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 21, 2013, 10:48 am

We've had an outdoor swing for over a year......I'd like to refinish it to protect it for another year. No need to worry about the color. I'm not inclined to doing a major sanding job......I'd prefer just a light sanding, then refinish with a clear coat.

When I last went to Homepro/Global and inquired, I was presented with a wiiiiide range of products/prices and no good explanations about the differences between them.
If I have to do it all over again next year, that's no problem, as I doubt most finishes aren't going to do well under the heat/humidity.

Anyone with Thai experience on what sort of product to use?
Attachments
IMG_2070.JPG

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 21, 2013, 10:59 am

Bit of reading for you, but at least in English, parrot... :D

I think it explains why the many products & might point you in the direction of what type of product you need.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varnish

Of course if you are trying to preserve the wood as well then you could also read this bit...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_preservation

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » February 21, 2013, 11:24 am

Jobs like that I now use the spray on clear varnish from the tins. Lasts a lot longer.

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » February 21, 2013, 1:01 pm

I can picture you Parrot ...as dust is falling .. you sat denim dungeree clad playing the banjo ......and all the locals running for cover ....

Seriously stains n varnishes are quite expensive here just been looking as the furniture outside CC needs a bit of love , spraying if can find some one with the kit is easier and quicker .

mash

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » February 21, 2013, 2:19 pm

I've used a spray polyurethane finish on some outside wood fixtures which seems to last quite well. Bought at Home Pro and the sales assistants know exactly what it is...
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 21, 2013, 3:13 pm

I like the spray can version.....that way I can suck up fumes while I strum my banjo. I've used the spray version on other things....didn't even think of using for this project...but I'll give it a go.
Thanks for the input.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » February 21, 2013, 4:33 pm

I've used shellac there many times...seems plentiful and relatively inexpensive.

Comes in about a 50mm glass bottle, other sizes too....different stain colors....probably needs clear topcoat though to seal from the weather so back to square one I guess.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » March 19, 2013, 3:39 pm

This is probably a little late for the OP but I was visiting a friend here in Udon and noticed his outdoor wooden furniture. I commented on the nice condition and he told me that after a while in the weather and needing attention he varnished it with boat varnish and is very happy with the results. He bought TOA Boat Varnish/Lacquer at Homepro. He showed me the can and it is clearly labled "Boat" varnish in English. The other side of the can is written in Thai.

He seems to think this coating works best in the Udon climate.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » March 20, 2013, 6:28 am

The boat poly would probably provide the best durability. However, you should try a test patch somewhere out of sightvto see if the old & new finishs are compatible. The new finish may simply flake off or turn a gray color if incompatible with what was used originally.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

boes
udonmap.com

Post by boes » March 23, 2013, 6:22 pm

I always use clear, high gloss varnish, boat lacker with a very good result

Return to “Open Forum”