Rain, where art thou?

General Udon Thani topics only!
lee
udonmap.com

Rain, where art thou?

Post by lee » August 7, 2012, 1:40 pm

I was hoping to plant a few trees this year but I've been holding off due to the lack of rain.

Last year it rained almost non-stop for weeks, this year has been the complete opposite. The lake close to my place was almost full this time last year, now it's a meter or so lower. Some rice fields have completely dried up which is bad news for the farmers. The forecast doesn't look promising either, maybe I'll hold off planting trees until next year.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Rain, where art thou?

Post by Prenders88 » August 7, 2012, 1:56 pm

Yes I wondered the same.
2010 and 2011 all of August was heavy rain, almost everyday.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Rain, where art thou?

Post by trubrit » August 7, 2012, 2:10 pm

Looking at the daily weather map it seems to be all around us and the neighbouring countries, with down south of Thailand experiencing flooding. Every day the clouds build up over the mountains near me, looking promising but never delivering any more than light drizzle. Maybe this is Yingluck making good on her promise to prevent flooding . :-"
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

douglas
udonmap.com

Rain, where art thou?

Post by douglas » August 7, 2012, 2:13 pm

Hi,
Don't know where you live Lee, but i am sick of the rain. I have had rain for the last four months, nearly evey other day, when it shoild of been the dry season. A lot of the times are at night. Checked with the met. people, they say Nov. to Feb. cold and dry, March to July, hot and dry, Aug. to Sept , hot and wet. In this area. This year i am saving money by not having to water the garden. The world climate is changing IMO. I live in Udon about 3K west of the airport. This week we had rain this morning. Yesterday we had rain at night. Two days before more rain.
Was down at a friends near Kalisan, two weeks ago, the lake at his place is dry. He said the first time, he seen this, in the ten years he has lived their.
Cheers Doug

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Rain, where art thou?

Post by pienmash » August 7, 2012, 2:23 pm

Global warming !!

The seasons in all nations around the world are moving ,,also irratic weather patterns means in years to come winter in the UK for instance will be in July/August ........ and summer will be celebrated with a turkey roast n crimbo.

I may be wrong.

mash

lee
udonmap.com

Rain, where art thou?

Post by lee » August 7, 2012, 2:28 pm

douglas wrote:I live in Udon about 3K west of the airport. This week we had rain this morning. Yesterday we had rain at night. Two days before more rain.
I live several clicks south of the ring-road. There were a few sprinkles last night but nothing major. The ground is still hard and cracked. As I write the farmers are pumping water from their lakes to save their crops.

rjj04
udonmap.com

Rain, where art thou?

Post by rjj04 » August 7, 2012, 2:56 pm

I was just wondering the same thing a few days ago, so, when in doubt... write a script to dump the NCDC precip data and do some simple math. :D To sumarize, the data for UTH shows the 5th lowest precip (to end of July) over the last 102 years. Note 2007 seems to have been the worst year. Of course, as per some members of UM, there is no AGW :D
Anybody have a raindance they'd like to share?
Attachments
loggit.doc
(17.5 KiB) Downloaded 146 times

parrot
udonmap.com

Rain, where art thou?

Post by parrot » August 7, 2012, 3:26 pm

Lee, as for your trees.......I'd plant them now. If it doesn't rain in the next few weeks, your dead trees will pale in comparison to the withered rice fields......not to mention a receding Udon city reservoir.

If you plant now, you might have to babysit them a bit before the rains hit....but then nature should (big SHOULD) take hold for the next 2 months or so. Next year, you'll have trees that have been planted for one year....rather than none at all.

rjj04
udonmap.com

Rain, where art thou?

Post by rjj04 » August 7, 2012, 3:56 pm

Looking at a few other WMO stations in Issan, they don't look too bad, so perhaps it is just UTH. Rats... I was going to go out and find some long call options on rice :)

It looks like a few WMO stations stopped monitoring after the USAF checked out of town.
Attachments
NE.doc
(12 KiB) Downloaded 139 times

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Rain, where art thou?

Post by FrazeeDK » August 7, 2012, 8:41 pm

too many Farang in Udon town generating much hot air and driving the rain clouds away..!! :D
Dave

nickboyuk
udonmap.com

Rain, where art thou?

Post by nickboyuk » August 8, 2012, 3:19 am

If you want rain there's plenty in the UK.....

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Rain, where art thou?

Post by merchant seaman » August 8, 2012, 7:45 am

Where's the rain?? Remember the old saying, "be careful what you wish for"

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Rain, where art thou?

Post by jackspratt » August 8, 2012, 8:43 am

Steady, but not heavy, rain for the last 3 hours here in BD.

The farmers are happy. \:D/

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Rain, where art thou?

Post by stattointhailand » August 8, 2012, 8:58 am

What's your middle name Lee ........ St Swithan?

Raining when I went out last night, raining when I came home last night, raining when I got up and still raining 2 hours later :roll:

Zidane
udonmap.com

Rain, where art thou?

Post by Zidane » August 8, 2012, 9:01 am

Its been hammering it down in central Udon since about 8.30am so maybe Lee's reminder to the Rain Gods will mean heavy rain every day from now till mid-October ! ;)
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Rain, where art thou?

Post by merchant seaman » August 8, 2012, 9:07 am

Has anyone spotted Lee out in the rain planting trees?

KB_Texas

Rain, where art thou?

Post by KB_Texas » August 8, 2012, 9:48 am

Heh, evidently grousing about rain on a forum is the new rain dance. It has been rainy pretty steadily all morning here.

KB

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Rain, where art thou?

Post by jackspratt » August 8, 2012, 9:55 am

How many virgins did you sacrifice, Lee?

douglas
udonmap.com

Rain, where art thou?

Post by douglas » August 8, 2012, 9:59 am

Hi,
Started raining 0200Hrs this morning. At 0700hrs when i took the kid to school, had to use car, to heavy rain for bike. even now at about 0945Hrs it is still chucking it down. Had this for the last 2 nights. Ground is like a mud bath, and road starting to flood. Went up to the lake where our supply comes from, last week, still full.
Funny thing happened when i was going down to Korat, last year. About halfway between K.K. and Korat. I was driving down in bright sunshine, in the North bound carraigeway all the cars had their windscreen wipers on, it was heavy rain that side, and yet not a drop in the South bound carraigeway. The ktds were amused by this.
Cheers Doug.
The rain has just eased this minute. Hope that's the last for a while.

lee
udonmap.com

Rain, where art thou?

Post by lee » August 8, 2012, 10:13 am

Well that did the trick, I'll have to start a thread about winning the lottery next.

Better get going now, those trees won't plant themselves!

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”