Christmas Island .

World news discussion forum
trekkertony
udonmap.com

Re: Christmas Island .

Post by trekkertony » December 18, 2010, 2:40 pm

Texpat,

Still waiting for an informed response to the question posed or has the car got your tongue?

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » December 18, 2010, 3:07 pm

trekkertony wrote:Texpat,

Still waiting for an informed response to the question posed or has the car got your tongue?
Car got my tongue? Is that Aussie slang? I considered your question rhetorical.
Can you explain why the back door refugee doesn't seek refuge in a country near his own to which there are numerous options.
No, I cannot. Though I suspect it's the same reason Mexicans don't swarm southward to Guatemala or Belize for a better life.

In any case, it does not excuse an immigrant prison where indefinite dentition forces detainees to sew their lips shut and holds three-year old boys in leg irons for two weeks with no toilet or shower.

drillpig
udonmap.com

Post by drillpig » December 18, 2010, 4:12 pm

Texpat wrote:Some other tidbits about Christmas Island (the name alone makes me laugh):
*The detention camp on Christmas island has CCTV linked to RCR- (Remote Control Room Canberra).
*The detainees will wear electronic ID tags or cards which identify them wherever they are in the complex by locator beacons.
*There are cameras and microphones in every room, wall mounted behind heavy metal grilles.
*The doors to the rooms are electric and centrally controlled. There are RTE (Request to Exit) buttons.
*Microwave probes surround every building as well as the layers of perimeter fences encircling the centre.
*Access by car goes through airlock systems and electric doors.
*Between the multi-layered fence system there are checkpoints for human guards on patrol and outdoor security cubicles for them to sit, sited at short intervals all around the perimeter of the centre. Each of these security cubicles is wired with duress buttons and microwave probes.
http://stream.adamdodson.org/items/view/3298
Shocking how Oz treats untried asylum-seekers worse than the US treats untried terrorists.

For all the hand wringing and braying and gnashing of teeth displayed by some Aussies over Gitmo, you'd not tend to believe they were doing far worse in their own back yard -- not to terrorists, but people seeking help.

Evidently, hypocrisy doesn't seem to phase them. Car access through airlock system -- but it's not a jail, it's a detention center... lol.
You conveniently forgot to mention the childcare centre, nursery play area. Also the article failed to mention the A1 healthcare that is provided the internet access, trained phsycologists available to assist at any time ( not to interrogate as was the case at gitmo) Australia is the biggest island in the world which means we have been able to stop many diseases and unwanted species entering the country that would probably be the reason for the airlock system. Stop twisting words to prove your point it just makes you look ridiculous. :-#

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » December 18, 2010, 4:25 pm

stop many diseases and unwanted species entering the country
Ah, yes, of course.
That explains the three-year-old in leg irons for two weeks with neither toilet nor shower.

Unwanted species indeed.

drillpig
udonmap.com

Post by drillpig » December 18, 2010, 4:50 pm

Texpat wrote:
stop many diseases and unwanted species entering the country
Ah, yes, of course.
That explains the three-year-old in leg irons for two weeks with neither toilet nor shower.

Unwanted species indeed.
the species thing was a give me really I knew you would jump on it, more word twisting tex. Anyway wheres the article about the boy in leg irons havn't heard that one before. The big diferrence between gitmo and christmas island is that the people held in Gitmo were actually transported there by the U.S. to be held there indefinetly and interrogated the detainess at xmas island knew what they were doing, knew the consequences and boarded those boats voluntarily, no one is there indefinetly if they hated it so much they can choose to leave at any time and return to their own country.

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » December 18, 2010, 5:10 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
DermotC wrote:I must be missing something, maybe the Australian Military would be better served protecting their borders than sending troops to the likes of Iraq and Afganistan then! Australia are a US ally and have been in pretty much every conflict the US have including Vietnam. I met a load of them in Tallil in Southern Iraq!
We do the best we can with what we've got! Do you have a problem with that? :-k
No poroblem at all Bangdung, what i do have a problem with is negative comments on this thread made by yourself and a couple other of your countrymen about America being the world police force etc, obviously meant in a negative way, when your own Troops are right there beside them everywhere they go to have a fight. I would have though a more condidered approach from an American Ally of the war on terror!!!!!!!!!!!!

AArdvark, appreciate your comments

drillpig
udonmap.com

Post by drillpig » December 18, 2010, 5:24 pm

DermotC wrote:
Bandung_Dero wrote:
DermotC wrote:I must be missing something, maybe the Australian Military would be better served protecting their borders than sending troops to the likes of Iraq and Afganistan then! Australia are a US ally and have been in pretty much every conflict the US have including Vietnam. I met a load of them in Tallil in Southern Iraq!
We do the best we can with what we've got! Do you have a problem with that? :-k
No poroblem at all Bangdung, what i do have a problem with is negative comments on this thread made by yourself and a couple other of your countrymen about America being the world police force etc, obviously meant in a negative way, when your own Troops are right there beside them everywhere they go to have a fight. I would have though a more condidered approach from an American Ally of the war on terror!!!!!!!!!!!!

AArdvark, appreciate your comments
The thing is Dermot whether we like it or not we do need the alliance with the U.S. as we are a isolated western nation with huge reserves of natural resources and our nearest neighbour indonesia is the second most populous muslim nation in the world and therefore we really have no option other then to follow the U.S. into every s##t fight they stir up.

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » December 18, 2010, 5:35 pm

Nice post Drillpig,

I completely understand your point and its well taken. Im just trying to make the point 'Let the man who is without sin cast the first stone'. Politicians from Aus make impossible decisions and world is a screwed up place!

I did have the absolute pleasure of visiting Sydney, the Gold Coast and Brinbane is 2007. What a brilliant country you have there and besides Thailand, my number one holiday destination in the world! As im moving to Udon in Jan I can see a trip there in 2011 for more holidays, a holiday from a longer holiday if you will. I cant wait!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 18, 2010, 5:57 pm

drillpig wrote: The thing is Dermot whether we like it or not we do need the alliance with the U.S. as we are a isolated western nation with huge reserves of natural resources and our nearest neighbour indonesia is the second most populous muslim nation in the world and therefore we really have no option other then to follow the U.S. into every s##t fight they stir up.
DP I would suggest that whatever problems Australia may or may not have with Indonesia in the near future, it will have very little to do with the fact that it is a predominantly Muslim country.

To the contrary, Australia and the rest of the western world could do a lot worse than promote Indonesia as being a beacon of Muslim moderation.

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » December 18, 2010, 7:37 pm

drillpig wrote:we really have no option other then to follow the U.S. into every s##t fight they stir up.
Wikileaks exposed Kevin Rudd begging Hillary Clinton to get tougher on China.
Foreign Affairs Minister Kevin Rudd suggested force may be needed if China could not be successfully integrated into the international community.
According to a US diplomatic cable released by the WikiLeaks website, Mr Rudd made the comments during a conversation with US secretary of state Hillary Clinton in March last year, while he was still prime minister.
He went on to say:
countries should be prepared to "deploy force if everything goes wrong".
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010 ... 085195.htm
Wow... Perhaps Australia should do it's own bidding.

Maybe Assmange should have read through Pandora's Box before opening it.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » December 18, 2010, 10:02 pm

Tex, your last Post has nothing to do with this Thread. If your looking for a Punch Up, Piss off back to the US and help finish the Wall to keep those nice Mexican Refugees out of your Country!!

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » December 18, 2010, 10:41 pm

Merely refuting this sort of nonsensical, overused and highly inaccurate cliche.
drillpig wrote:we really have no option other then to follow the U.S. into every s##t fight they stir up.
It just seems to me that Rudd is the one stirring the poo. You don't have to agree. Glass houses an all that...
be prepared to "deploy force if everything goes wrong."

drillpig
udonmap.com

Post by drillpig » December 19, 2010, 6:09 am

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » December 19, 2010, 8:13 am

Great, start paying them to go Home and you end up with Thousands more turning up for the Cash! I say stop giving Indonesia money like the 100 million Gillard gave them a few weeks back until they put a stop to the problem at their end!

grozza
udonmap.com

Post by grozza » December 19, 2010, 8:34 am

everybodys entitled to there own opinion regarding immigration and asylum seekers now heres mine most of you will not like what im going to say but ---- happens.i live in sydney so i see a lot of whats happening day to day in this country now 80% of the stabbings drive by shootings drug related arrests that happen in sydney are from middle eastern backgrounds,so the sooner we slow down people from these countrys coming to australia the better so if this what makes people think twice about taking this dangerous journey by boat then so be it.

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » December 19, 2010, 1:46 pm

Oz immigration officials insist Christmas Island Detention Center is not a jail.

What's with the double row electric fence and razor wire?

What's with the beatings, detention of unaccompanied children and routine hunger strikes? It certainly doesn't sound like a immigrant detention center.

I suppose if the intent is to make conditions so horrible that asylum-seekers might opt for Myanmar or Bangladesh, the Australian Immigration policy is dead on target.

21again
udonmap.com

Post by 21again » December 19, 2010, 1:52 pm

Texpat wrote
What's with the double row electric fence and razor wire?
Thats to keep the f**kers from raping, robbing and killing the locals, as the scumbags do, you should know better coming from Texas with the Latinos. :fryingpan:

drillpig
udonmap.com

Post by drillpig » December 19, 2010, 2:26 pm

I Don't see what these photos prove as I said texpat they can leave whenever they want to go back to their own countries

21again
udonmap.com

Post by 21again » December 19, 2010, 2:39 pm

Their living accommodation is certainly better than what they have just left, toilets, running water, no leaking roofe, food everyday, Ferck me what more do they want while they get processed. [-X [-X

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » December 19, 2010, 7:19 pm

Would ALL posters on this thread, please read All the forum rules and ensure that they comply with with them ALL, before/when posting.

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/f ... -t460.html

Offending posts will be removed.

Some wise suggestions:-

It is recommended that posters do not get drawn in by provocative posts or trolls. They are best ignored.
Trolls are highly likely to get banned, as will those threatening or insulting others.
Two wrongs don't make a right.
Don't take matters into your own hands, particularly if it involves breaking the rules, or insulting others, (even if you feel it justified).
Mods are of a variety of Nationalities, and are not on-line all the time.
Before responding, please read all the rules.

Return to “World News”