England to retain the Ashes - JUST

General sports news and discussions.
wazza
udonmap.com

England to retain the Ashes - JUST

Post by wazza » October 20, 2010, 10:42 am

Well we got wiped 2-0 in India and the press calling for Pontings head again, ( dont they always, if your not winning )

Who doesnt loose in India, to be honest.

Anyway, Im sticking my head on the block here and stating that England the current holder of the Ashes trophy , will retain it this summer whilst touring in Oz.

I predict a score line of 2-1 to the Poms, Your spinner will be the key winner here , as well as Pieterson, due to score against us .

The crowds will be huge for the first 2-3 tests and I imagine 90,000 ++ for the Boxing day test is not out of the question.

We might win a few tosses, but not the series ( Ouch ) but an honest assessment

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Re: England to retain the Ashes - JUST

Post by pienmash » October 20, 2010, 10:57 am

I agree 100 % sir BUT you could write all i know about cricket on the back of a postage stamp !! ........ Wazza what happened to the I WANNA BE ENGLISH T-SHIRT YOU HAD MADE ?? get it found washed and ironed ready .

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 20, 2010, 11:07 am

Agree India is a tough place to go & win wazza. They have a couple of batsman (Tendulkar and Vijay in the second test, Tendulkar and Laxman in the first) who can take the game away from anyone. Australia put up good scores in the first innings of both tests, but not so in the second innings. I didn't see either match but guess the wickets wore pretty quickly & Indian had the bowlers used to the conditions & able to take advantage of them.
Not sure if your belief that England will retain the ashes is correct though. Australia still have some classy batsmen who can quickly pile on the runs & always seem to have players who can hit form & maintain it for a series. England batsmen still all look hit & miss. Someone can put up a score in game 1 & then struggle to score 10 in the next 3 games. That is not a criticism aimed at any particular batsman, none have shown any consistency. I am not sure (well I am :D ) that I would even take Pieterson at all. His England form has been diabolical - even against mediocre bowling. I know he is the sort of player who can win a match on his own (& England have far too few of them) but he also can put the lower order batsmen under silly pressure by making terrible decisions..
At least England will not have the daunting thought of facing Warne on wearing pitches &, I agree, I think that end of the game has now swung heavily in Englands' favour. However, I think the batsmen will be leaving too much of a deficit, too often, from the first innings for England to win the series!!

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » October 20, 2010, 11:23 am

Bob

Pieterson, has to tour, its 1 easy wicket for us LOL ( he has to drop that reverse sweep shot ) Agree with your summary here, its going to be a batsmans tour, I can see both sides able to get 10 wickets, due to poor shots and lack of big innings.

The Ashes series will always bring the best our of the Ozzies, and Ponting is still scoring well, but im sticking with my prediction, hope im wrong. I cant see a 5-0 whitewash on the horizon .

As to Jons comments, it was produced and used to wrap the remains of my defrosted freezer unit , hagis, black pudding, and some other stuff called Marmite. LOL

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » October 20, 2010, 12:12 pm

wazza wrote:Bob

Pieterson, has to tour, its 1 easy wicket for us LOL ( he has to drop that reverse sweep shot ) Agree with your summary here, its going to be a batsmans tour, I can see both sides able to get 10 wickets, due to poor shots and lack of big innings.

The Ashes series will always bring the best our of the Ozzies, and Ponting is still scoring well, but im sticking with my prediction, hope im wrong. I cant see a 5-0 whitewash on the horizon .

As to Jons comments, it was produced and used to wrap the remains of my defrosted freezer unit , hagis, black pudding, and some other stuff called Marmite. LOL
how dare thoust use an England shirt in such a disrespectful manner OFF WITH YER HEED as my gran would say , on the subject of my gran she was offered the Aussie cricket team coach job but she turned it down to stay at Scunthorpe utd .

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » October 20, 2010, 3:48 pm

Didn't Ian Botham give up international cricket when given the chance to play footie for Scunthorpe :confused:

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » October 20, 2010, 4:22 pm

stattointhailand wrote:Didn't Ian Botham give up international cricket when given the chance to play footie for Scunthorpe :confused:
Very true sir .......... mr Botham did indeed jack in cricket to play for Scunny , i might add that there have plenty of famous folk from scunny , Kevin Keegan (nearly a geordie) , Ray Clemence , Turnip Taylor , Donald Pleasance , my gran and ME !!

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 29, 2010, 10:23 pm

The England squad leave for Australia today. Here is a summary of the matches they will play.
The Ashes: England in Australia 2010-11
November
5-7 v Western Australia, Perth Play starts at 0230 GMT
11-13 v South Australia, Adelaide Play starts at 2330 GMT (10-12 November)
17-20 v Australia A, Hobart Play starts at 2330 GMT (16-19 November)
25-29 1st Test, BrisbanePlay starts at 0000 GMT
December
3-7 2nd Test, Adelaide Play starts at 0000 GMT
10-12 v Victoria, Melbourne Play starts at 0000 GMT
16-20 3rd Test, Perth Play starts at 0230 GMT
26-30 4th Test, Melbourne Play starts at 2330 GMT (25-29 December)
January
3-7 5th Test, Sydney Play starts at 2330 GMT (2-6 January)
10 v Prime Minister's XI, Canberra Play starts at 2245 GMT (9 January)
12 1st Twenty20 international, Adelaide (d/n) Play starts at 0835 GMT
14 2nd Twenty20 international, Melbourne (d/n) Play starts at 0835 GMT
16 1st ODI, Melbourne (d/n) Play starts at 0320 GMT
21 2nd ODI, Hobart (d/n) Play starts at 0320 GMT
23 3rd ODI, Sydney (d/n) Play starts at 0320 GMT
26 4th ODI, Adelaide (d/n) Play starts at 0320 GMT
30 5th ODI, Brisbane (d/n) Play starts at 0320 GMT
February
2 6th ODI, Sydney (d/n) Play starts at 0320 GMT
6 7th ODI, Perth Play starts at 0320 GMT
Long old tour, but better to be in Aussie land in November - February than the UK, cricketer or not!! :D :D

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » October 29, 2010, 11:00 pm

I'd feel more confidant of England winning if they didn't have to use a different type of ball. Typical Aussies, have to give themselves an advantage. :D
Next their be wanting to use metal bats. Oh, they've tried that one already. :D

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » October 29, 2010, 11:12 pm

The side that is providing the venues for any tour has rhe choice of balls . Kookaburra has always been the oz ball.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Message on Big Ben.

Post by trubrit » October 30, 2010, 7:42 am

A stunt by Ricky Ponting, Australian captain, and his merry men is likely to lead to a 2,500 pounds fine . They projected a message saying" Don't forget to bring the urn" on to the famous clock tower of the Palace of Westminster, which is a world heritage building .
_49702698_aussie.gif
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » October 30, 2010, 8:56 am

To be fair to the Aussies TB, they only did what SKY TV did four years ago when they projected pictures of Monty Panesar and Andrew Flintoff onto the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
Half the fun of an Ashes series is the friendly banter between the two sets of supporters. Unfortunately in this case the deputy leader of Westminster City Council seems to have had a SOH bypass.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/oc ... dly-banter

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » October 30, 2010, 10:24 am

Galee wrote:To be fair to the Aussies TB, they only did what SKY TV did four years ago when they projected pictures of Monty Panesar and Andrew Flintoff onto the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
Half the fun of an Ashes series is the friendly banter between the two sets of supporters. Unfortunately in this case the deputy leader of Westminster City Council seems to have had a SOH bypass.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/oc ... dly-banter
Yes Galee I can see the humour in it but I can also see where the council is coming from. Only last year a forlorn love sick projected an image of his girl friend on there and as mentioned in the article even Branson got in the act . In all those cases no action was taken and it wouldn't take much imagination to see Coke ads appearing, well as the councillor said
"We have got to draw the line somewhere" Lets just hope that if they are fined the winning England team will be magnanimous enough to have a whip round and pay it . :lol:
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 30, 2010, 10:52 am

Agree storm in a tea cup Galee. Some people need to get a life I think, after all it is hardly going to damage the building.

Here is the England squad.
England Ashes Test squad:

Andrew Strauss (captain, Middlesex), Alastair Cook (vice-captain, Essex), James Anderson (Lancashire), Ian Bell (Warwickshire), Tim Bresnan (Yorkshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Paul Collingwood (Durham), Steven Davies (wk, Surrey), Steven Finn (Middlesex), Eoin Morgan (Middlesex), Monty Panesar (Sussex), Kevin Pietersen (Hampshire), Matt Prior (wk, Sussex), Graeme Swann (Nottinghamshire), Chris Tremlett (Surrey), Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire).
Personally I am not sure what assistance either Pietersen or Panesar will prove on the tour. I think Panesar has been included on some sort of concept that now Warne is no longer on the scene England can turn the tables & spin their way to victory. Maybe a nice idea but I am certainly not convinced that he is that great a spinner of the ball & hardly contributes in any other part of the game. I have already made my opinions pretty clear in the past & feel Pietersen is a huge luxury when a grafter who could contribute high 20s+ every innings would be a better bet.
So there you have it, with my renown predictive skills England will now win 5-0 with Panesar never getting less than 8 in any game & Pietersen averaging 101...Yeah, as much as I might enjoy that result I still can't see either of them being a hit.

On a more positive note for England fans i see that all is still not exactly 100% in the Aussie camp either. :D
Merv Hughes ditched as Cricket Australia selector
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket ... 138163.stm

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » October 30, 2010, 11:01 am

Merv the swerve wasn't that respected as a selector. I'm sure he contributed in the big picture .

This is going to be a good series . Not the best of sides but it is an Ashes tour and we all know how that brings out the best of all rhe players.

The sign ! Got what it wanted . That is publicity good or bad. Its all the beat up and I'm sure some pommie. Marketing firm made money on it.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » October 30, 2010, 1:24 pm

BobHelm wrote:
Personally I am not sure what assistance either Pietersen or Panesar will prove on the tour. .
I agree about Panesar Bob. The best he can expect is to get a game at the Sydney test. All the others England will only play one spinner, Swann.
Pieterson, a bit of an enigma. You never know what your going to get with him. After his Man of Competition award at the World Cup earlier in the year I think he should be given a chance. Maybe for 2 Tests. If he doesn't get 4 tons, drop him. :D

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » October 30, 2010, 3:55 pm

Don't forget the Adelaide wicket n Sydney wicket take Spin.

Opps my mate Boonie just rang me and told me not to offer any further advice.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 30, 2010, 4:29 pm

wazza wrote:Opps my mate Boonie just rang me and told me not to offer any further advice.
As the 'advice' that any Aussie would normally offer an English cricket player is physically impossible & would be painful in the extreme if it could be achieved, I think that is a wise decision wazza.... :D :D

Librarian
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by Librarian » October 30, 2010, 7:07 pm

will The Ashes be shown on either home cable or UBC ? - anyone have info ?

Librarian

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » October 30, 2010, 7:16 pm

South African supersports. For sure but still at the hands of their programmers who might switch it to some. Other Indian league game .

Just needs a few phone calls if that happens .....

Return to “World Sports”