learning the thai language

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » March 26, 2013, 5:21 pm

i think this has to do with living in thailand so i will post this here ....for those whom are willing to learn the thai language
maybe a good website...
choose your language http://www.goethe-verlag.com/book2/index.htm
or english -thai or other...http://www.goethe-verlag.com/book2/EN/index.htm ;)

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » July 29, 2013, 12:08 pm

Today, 29 July, is "wan phaa saa thai haeng chaat" (วันภาษาไทยแห่งชาติ). Thailand National Language Day.

Quanteen
udonmap.com

Post by Quanteen » July 29, 2013, 4:39 pm

Today, 29 July, is "wan phaa saa thai haeng chaat" (วันภาษาไทยแห่งชาติ). Thailand National Language Day.
ຂອບໃຈຫລາຍໆ

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 29, 2013, 4:59 pm

I was sitting at a stop light near Lotus this morning......read a Villa Market sign that was mostly in Laotian. Once you get the hang of Thai, Laotian is not too difficult...especially when you have hints about what you're reading (Villa advert).

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 29, 2013, 7:35 pm

Shado wrote:Today, 29 July, is "wan phaa saa thai haeng chaat" (วันภาษาไทยแห่งชาติ). Thailand National Language Day.
That must explain the photo......although I'm not sure I'd spell it the same way.
Attachments
national_thai_language_day_-2003006-hp.jpg

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » July 29, 2013, 8:08 pm

and that would be GOO-GERN?
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 29, 2013, 9:05 pm

It should be: Go Figure

Frankie 1
udonmap.com

Post by Frankie 1 » July 29, 2013, 10:07 pm

กูเกิล = Google

ไลค์
Like 1.jpg
Like 1.jpg (25.49 KiB) Viewed 12758 times

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 3, 2013, 11:10 pm

Here's a sign I saw along the Nongwahsaw hwy today. If you're a beginning reader of Thai, you're sure to know the word ไก่

The rest of the sign is มี (ไก่) ชน ขาย

The first and last words are giveme's. That leaves ชน. ชนไก่.......a favorite Sunday activity of most any Thai male.
Attachments
image.jpg

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » August 4, 2013, 2:50 am

Hi All,
I want to learn Isaan, not Thai, which I believe is Laos language!!!
Any idea where I can get resources for this.
Thanks
Mick

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » August 4, 2013, 7:23 am

มี ไก่ชน ขาย

mee gai chon khai = have fighting chicken (cock) to sell................(I think)

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 4, 2013, 8:02 am

Shado wrote:มี ไก่ชน

mee gai chon khai = have fighting chicken (cock) to sell................(I think)
:lol: :lol:

ไก่ aren't the only thing that go together with the word ชน.......รถชน is another commonly heard word. Wear your helmet/seatbelt!

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » August 4, 2013, 4:12 pm

parrot wrote:I was sitting at a stop light near Lotus this morning......read a Villa Market sign that was mostly in Laotian. Once you get the hang of Thai, Laotian is not too difficult...especially when you have hints about what you're reading (Villa advert).
I have been in Savannakhet for a few days and had great difficulty in distinguishing the 'n' letter from one of the 't' letters, and I am not sure what the 'm' letter looks like. This may be a case of the font they were using.

At the Mukdahan bus station. I wrote out the 'Mukdahan - Savannakhet; bus sign in both Thai and Lao, and pondered it until my head hurt, which was soon. Some of the Lao characters are easy, but others, like the ones mentioned, were very difficult for me.

I got some VCD's by a Lao singer, Saennaapha, but the 'n' on the recording looks like the 'm' in Thai and nothing like the 'n' in the word, Savannakhet, at the bus station. However, a number of Lao assured me the 'm' looking letter in the font on the VCD is pronounced like 'n'. Baw pen yang na?
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 4, 2013, 4:28 pm

My brain hurts enough trying to learn thai...vs Isaan. On the positive side, I can communicate most anywhere in the country. A double whammy is....everything is written in thai......nothing in Isaan.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » August 4, 2013, 4:31 pm

You will have further tests of your reading skills when you visit Chiang Mai and try to understand the signs written in northern Thai, which is similar to Mon.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » August 4, 2013, 5:17 pm

Some of the Lao characters are easy, but others, like the ones mentioned, were very difficult for me.
But the good part is that Lao has only 27 consonants. I think the number of vowels is about the same as Thai though. There are still some Thai consonants that I have to really stop and think about as they are so seldom used. Hopefully, that will get better with time.

redwolf
udonmap.com

Post by redwolf » August 4, 2013, 7:15 pm

If anyone's interested in Thai grammar above and beyond the basics, an excellent book on the subject is:

"Thai Reference Grammar, The Structure Of Spoken Thai" by James Higbie & Snea Thinsan. It's published by Orchid Press under ISBN 974-8304-96-5. It's about 440 pages.

The book can be ordered by Asia Books on the ground floor in Central Plaza by the manager.

It's an excellent book, far more thorough and relevant to daily usage than what you normally come across.

RW
AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM | ARCANA IMPERII | ALIS AQUILAE

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 4, 2013, 7:37 pm

To the first person who can correctly write in Thai "My name is ...... I live in Udon", I will bequeath my Thai Reference Grammar book (hardly used), and my 7 volume set of หักอ่าน ภาษาไทย แบบใหม่ that you can use to reinforce tone rules (you have to learn the tones first!).

I'm making this offer to anyone who's serious about learning Thai........if you can't write the sentence above, please leave the books for someone who can.

PM me if you're interested.

redwolf
udonmap.com

Post by redwolf » August 5, 2013, 12:51 am

parrot wrote:To the first person who can correctly write in Thai "My name is ...... I live in Udon", I will bequeath my Thai Reference Grammar book (hardly used), and my 7 volume set of หักอ่าน ภาษาไทย แบบใหม่ that you can use to reinforce tone rules (you have to learn the tones first!).

I'm making this offer to anyone who's serious about learning Thai........if you can't write the sentence above, please leave the books for someone who can.

PM me if you're interested.
Here's a sample.

One reads My name is Khun Krauw thanks, I live in Udon.

Another reads My name is Khun Krauw, I live in Udon Thani.

They are easy to type but writing seems more legit. Let me know if I'm off as I'm sure there even more official, or simple ways to say it.
Selection_203.png

redwolf
udonmap.com

Post by redwolf » August 5, 2013, 1:17 am

note I used "pom" in one and "chan" in the other. -I usually use the male version (pom) even though (chan) is considered more universal. color me old fashioned. you never hear old school hardcore machete wielding thai farmer guys use "chan". I'd rather talk like them than the skinny pants wannabe pop rockers any day.

Return to “Society and culture”