RIP Stephen John Richards AKA Foreign Office Steve

Pay tribute to loved ones and friends here...
pal52
udonmap.com

RIP Stephen John Richards AKA Foreign Office Steve

Post by pal52 » September 17, 2020, 5:12 pm

I was sadly informed today that Foreign Office Steve lost his battle with throat cancer.
He passed away early this morning peacefully.

He had been on morphine injections for a while after surgery to remove his voice box and Chemotherapy..
Some of his friends are in direct contact with his wife so hopefully they will post details of his funeral here,

I have only ever known him as Foreign office Steve for all the years I have known him.
Maybe someone can post his full name.

He was a regular in Fuzzy Kens & Soi Sampan for many years right up until he got cancer.
I know he has a lot of friends on the forum and in Udon.

RIP Steve an absolute gentleman right until the end.
Last edited by pal52 on September 17, 2020, 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dezzer111
udonmap.com

Re: RIP Foreign Office Steve

Post by dezzer111 » September 17, 2020, 7:07 pm

Rip Steve, sadly missed mate Friday's won't be the same.
"You'll Never Walk Alone"L.F.C.

dezzer111
udonmap.com

Re: RIP Foreign Office Steve

Post by dezzer111 » September 17, 2020, 8:01 pm

pal52 wrote:
September 17, 2020, 5:12 pm
I was sadly informed today that Foreign Office Steve lost his battle with throat cancer.
He passed away early this morning peacefully.

He had been on morphine injections for a while after surgery to remove his voice box and Chemotherapy..
Some of his friends are in direct contact with his wife so hopefully they will post details of his funeral here,

I have only ever known him as Foreign office Steve for all the years I have known him.
Maybe someone can post his full name.

He was a regular in Fuzzy Kens & Soi Sampan for many years right up until he got cancer.
I know he has a lot of friends on the forum and in Udon.

RIP Steve an absolute gentleman right until the end.
Steven John Richards.
"You'll Never Walk Alone"L.F.C.

pal52
udonmap.com

Re: RIP Stephen John Richards AKA Foreign Office Steve

Post by pal52 » September 17, 2020, 8:11 pm

Thanks for that.
It is always nice to get his name correct in case threads are sent to UK.

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » September 17, 2020, 9:07 pm

Thats sad.I didnt know him,But Must have suffered and cost a lot of money!
May I ask how old was he?

ajsp9
udonmap.com

Post by ajsp9 » September 17, 2020, 11:26 pm

I was very sad to hear this earlier and I’ll miss Steve. As with Dezzer Friday and Saturdays at Kens and other venues were quite fun in Steve's company.

As an annual / bi- annual visitor to Udon I think it took him about 4 years to remember my name as by the time I’d arrived at the bar at dusk, Steve would often be imbibed and on form, fag in one hand drink du jour in the other, generally in animated debate about all and everything. Later, there was a power nap and round 2 or a pick up from his missus and a journey home.

Steve was a character and I thoroughly enjoyed being in his company albeit and often sat on the side of the group. He’ll be missed. RIP Steve. Taken too soon.

joudon
udonmap.com

Post by joudon » September 18, 2020, 4:52 am

So sad to hear. I visited him just before he started his treatment, He communicated by writing. So very sad.
Gordon passed recently too and in Steves garden stands the 'obelisk' , which for 2 years was so much a part of life for 5 of us expats, working on getting the thing up using wooden levers. A great and very interesting man, Steve, will be missed so much.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » September 18, 2020, 5:55 am

RIP Steve, another one taken way to early, a good raconteur .

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » September 18, 2020, 10:26 am

Funeral is tomorrow.
12 Noon at his house then 1 PM at the temple.
Will post the location on Google Maps later unless someone knows where his house is and can post it.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » September 18, 2020, 11:21 am

It sure would be nice if someone could post a photo of Steve. Most oftentimes posts like this are made to inform us of the death of a fellow expat, and a photo is seldom included. I may very well know Steve, but just not by name. It would be nice to know if he is someone that I have seen around town over the past 10 years.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Fuzzy Ken
udonmap.com

Post by Fuzzy Ken » September 18, 2020, 12:34 pm

Having known Steven for over 10 years as a friend and customer at my restaurant, I feel very sad. Certainly very popular and knowledgeable, often to be seen with his favourite Chang in one hand and cigarette in the other, while enjoying the banter with others, usually on a Friday evening at my restaurant.

Sadly, although only 500 miles away in Phnom Penh, due to CD19 I cannot leave here to attend his funeral.
DSCN0378 Steven T2.jpg

Rest in peace Steven, a true gentleman
The photo was taken January 2018

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » September 18, 2020, 5:11 pm

Fuzzyken wrote:
September 18, 2020, 12:34 pm
Having known Steven for over 10 years as a friend and customer at my restaurant, I feel very sad. Certainly very popular and knowledgeable, often to be seen with his favourite Chang in one hand and cigarette in the other, while enjoying the banter with others, usually on a Friday evening at my restaurant.

Sadly, although only 500 miles away in Phnom Penh, due to CD19 I cannot leave here to attend his funeral.DSCN0378 Steven T2.jpg

Rest in peace Steven, a true gentleman
The photo was taken January 2018

Thanks for the photo Fuzzyken!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » September 18, 2020, 5:32 pm

I have been trying to get the exact location of Steves house.
I have been assured of these directions from someone who has been to his home today.

You go onto the Sakhon Nakhon road (route 22) at the flyover next to Big C and the eastern ringroad,
You drive for 6km and there is a PT LPG gas station.

You do a U Turm after that and then take the first left where there is a yellow Bus stop and you will see the big blue sign for the village..

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@17.35494 ... 8192?hl=en

You then drive for 4 km along that road and you will come to his house.
There are tented covered areas on the road outside his house so you can not mistake it and I would think quite a lot of cars.

Google street view of U turn.

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@17.35461 ... 8192?hl=en

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » September 18, 2020, 6:20 pm

Just had a phone call.
The funeral has been postponed due to the paperwork with the British Consulate not being in order.
My apologies for any inconvenience but it appears that the British Embassy strikes again.
Do not know the details so will post further when more info is available.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » September 19, 2020, 7:09 am

The Embassy has a task to do , which is to ensure any relatives of the deceased can agree or not as the case maybe to the funeral, if the deceased is NOT formally married to his Thai partner . Not knowing the precise arrangements of Steve and his partner, I am unable to comment more

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » September 19, 2020, 7:26 pm

Just an update some friends of Steve visited his house today.
There are some paperwork problems so his wife is hoping to hold the funeral next Saturday.

She wants to have it on a Saturday as most of her family are Government workers.
Also it will give her time and Steve's expat friends sort out the problems.

Confirmation of funeral times will follow when confirmed.

Fuzzy Ken
udonmap.com

RIP Steven Richards AKA Foreign Office Steve

Post by Fuzzy Ken » September 26, 2020, 11:11 am

I wish to say that the delayed funeral for Steven will now take place tomorrow, Sunday, at 1pm and all those attending should first of all go to Steven and Dims address.

I am in Cambodia and unfortunately have no other information here. There was a thread running where I posted a photo of him and I think there was more details, but I have been unable to trace that thread.

Should anyone require more information as to the location etc. please call Lek on 0873320839 or post on this new thread. I am sure that someone out there will be able to help point you in the right direction.

RIP Steven
Fuzzyken

ajsp9
udonmap.com

Re: RIP Steven Richards AKA Foreign Office Steve

Post by ajsp9 » September 26, 2020, 1:01 pm

It’s in this section Ken. - NOTICE BOARD
Best Wishes
Adam
Attachments
675D058E-7C5D-4A7D-ABEB-C991D1FECF86.jpeg

Return to “Obituaries”