knee replacement surgery

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
Hoopoe
udonmap.com

knee replacement surgery

Post by Hoopoe » October 15, 2022, 5:32 pm

Knee replacement surgery ,
i thought id seen a post on this some time ago , i've scrolled through loads and can't find a link ,
i've endured this for several years ,but the constant pain is finally wearing me down, i have talked to some who have had the surgery ,with pretty horrid results ,a school teacher (now retired ) she cant walk but says not in pain , when i asked why she couldn't walk if not in pain ,i just got a blank stare ,,another one farang had the op down in bkk , but is in constant pain , and parted with a lot of dosh as it was a private hospital ,
so to cut to the chase ,has any members had this op in udon /khon kaen etc , ? Was it successful ? what was the cost ? and at which hospital ,

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Re: knee replacement surgery

Post by Doodoo » October 15, 2022, 5:49 pm

Hope this is of some help

Good luck
https://www.mymeditravel.com/knee-repla ... n-thailand

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 15, 2022, 6:03 pm

India.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » October 15, 2022, 6:09 pm

I've had both knees replaced at Vejthani Hospital Bkk by Dr. Chumroonkiet who pioneered computer assisted knee replacement surgery. Computer assisted surgery allows the surgeon to more accurately install the prosthesis eliminating many post surgery problems from misaligned installation. I had my first knee replaced about 9 years ago and the second one about 7 years ago. I cycle (bicycle) daily and have been on numerous long distance bicycle tours throughout SEA with no ill effects. Running and jogging are not recommended to avoid damaging the prosthesis but swimming and cycling are highly recommended. I don't recall the cost which was totally covered by my health insurance. I was totally impressed with the medical professionals during my post op care at Vejthani and have returned for additional required surgeries.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 15, 2022, 7:34 pm

I was told I would need new knee by the time I was 55. Motorbike crash in 1965, no kneecap, knee reconstruction 1985. Still pretty good now mid 70's. Keep weight down to reduce stress on knee.

I take chrondoton and glucosamin every day. Takes about three months to start to work, but very effective. After 12 months I was almost pain free. Maybe worth trying before the knife.

Glucosamine seems to be well regarded by mainstream medical fraternity, chrondoton made from shark cartridge is ok with natural medicine crowd but not embraced by all of the western medical groups. No side effects and not expensive.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » October 16, 2022, 11:39 am

My dad played a lot of golf after he retired. His knee got bad enough that he could no longer play. He went to several different doctors and most recommended a knee replacement. He did find one doctor who wanted him to try some sort of injection into the joint. He went that way thinking is was fairly easy to try. It worked for him and he had no more pain. He never did have a replacement.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 16, 2022, 11:47 am

It would be interesting to know the name of that treatment.

I had a beautiful boxer girl I got as a rescue dog some time ago. She had an untreated awful and painful problem with her spine. I found a vet who gave her a series of injections over three months and totally cured the affliction.

The vet told me it was unapproved for human use, but many vets treated their own joint problems with similar results. Surgeons always see a surgical solution as that is what they understand, but not always right. By refusing a surgeons choice to amputate my right leg, I saved the limb and function almost normally

I would explore every option before going under the knife, there is not always an option, but worth exploring
Last edited by Whistler on October 16, 2022, 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » October 16, 2022, 1:50 pm

Glait, you may be referring to synvisc, it has a life of approximately 3 years before more invasive surgery is required.

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » October 16, 2022, 2:17 pm

Had one knee replaced 6 months ago - now pefect without pain.
My recommendation is to get it done, don't suffer pain for no need
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 16, 2022, 3:22 pm

Whistler wrote:
October 15, 2022, 7:34 pm
I was told I would need new knee by the time I was 55. Motorbike crash in 1965, no kneecap, knee reconstruction 1985. Still pretty good now mid 70's. Keep weight down to reduce stress on knee.

I take chrondoton and glucosamin every day. Takes about three months to start to work, but very effective. After 12 months I was almost pain free. Maybe worth trying before the knife.

Glucosamine seems to be well regarded by mainstream medical fraternity, chrondoton made from shark cartridge is ok with natural medicine crowd but not embraced by all of the western medical groups. No side effects and not expensive.
I was told a lot of commercial glucosamine-chondroitin supplements are made from shellfish so those with allergies maybe need to be aware.

It was also told that it's only effective on 40% of the population and has no benefits for the other 60%.

When I first took it over 8 years ago, it unlocked a painful, locked knee virtually overnight. I always pack some for my offshore work trips as frigid cold air conditioning (and putting on weight) sometimes brings the odd stab of pain in the knees.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » October 16, 2022, 4:18 pm

joepai wrote:
October 16, 2022, 2:17 pm
Was that here ,? if so where and what was the total cost , ?

And yes surgeons mainly recommend surgery , thanks for the statement , which will change my approach ,
orthopedic doc before orthopedic surgeon ,
I've had injection before , great for two days , as long as it lasted , also had medication for osteoarthritis fingers it was great also eased the knee , 'but' on further reading as i was running out of medication , it stated not for people with cardio problems , and also maximum 10 day dosage , so that ruled me out , so thanks for the replies ,i'll try the med doc first ,

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » October 16, 2022, 6:25 pm

You should look for an orthopedic surgeon familiar with computer assisted knee replacement. I don't think you'll find that in Udon but should be available in Khon Kaen and of course in Bkk.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » October 17, 2022, 12:02 pm

fdimike wrote:
October 16, 2022, 6:25 pm
You should look for an orthopedic surgeon familiar with computer assisted knee replacement. I don't think you'll find that in Udon but should be available in Khon Kaen and of course in Bkk.
Been this morning ,saw doc , he stated not to do kumphawapi as theres no computer assist , but believes there's computer assist at gov hospital udonthani ,,tomorrow i'll be attending a clinic run by a doc teaching this knee replacement (at udonthani ), it's said register with his clinic will speed up the queue time ,
at least after years of enduring this ,i've now made a move , =D>

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » October 17, 2022, 2:31 pm

Hoopoe wrote:
October 16, 2022, 4:18 pm
joepai wrote:
October 16, 2022, 2:17 pm
Was that here ,? if so where and what was the total cost , ?
It was done in Bangkok/Pattaya Hospital by a surgeon recommended to me by a UK Doctor – happy to let you know his name if you wish
The ‘package’ price was 370k and worth every Baht

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » October 27, 2022, 6:41 pm

only an up date on progress , this is long you have been warned :lol:
saw a few med docs , one of them finally said im only prolonging the end result to surgery ,
so without further ado , quoted 70,000 bht just for the parts , then the rest came to 140,00 bht -150,000 bht ,at udon gen
of to udon blood tests required also x rays chest and knee , blood tests ok ,knee now we know the probs and left knee is not far behind the same condition , chest x ray dodgy , paling over the years also many scar tissue ,(pulmonary fibrosis , )nothing new just worse than i thought ,surgeon "we need med doc to confirm it's ok to proceed ,"
go see doc , she refuses and refers me to another , so back again next day,(by the way this is through premium care ,you dont seem to be able to avoid going that way now ) waited 7 hours to see doc ,he flips and flops , yep it's ok but really we need to find out what these circles are , upto you CT scan would be a good idea, at premium care ,"err theres a long waiting time ,but cross my palm with silver and can get you in sooner ," as i'm totally against this sh-t, i then stated no worries mate ,i''l get it done at kumphawapi as they have a scanner there ,"this was a shock bottom lip time ,
off i go the next day at Kumphawapi given date in three days time as weekend and holiday monday , so into kumphawapi , done and dusted 1 hour ,7.500 bht lighter , tis ok ,now we know ,its in engrish ,not good result but can deal with it , then i crashed breathing etc , not done this for a few years ,temp drop dropped me ,renewed my meds for this as they are out of date at Kumphawapi 1 hour in and out , conversation with a retired Aussie Doc who gave me great advice on the medication and many things i didnt know ,,, phone call to premium care udon , yep come in next day ,,arrival 10.30 as required to get the CT verified ,11.30 told to go and get something to eat come back in an hour ,,,dutifully obeyed ,before i leave i did mention i will not be here at bi see ,4 pm again ,,laughter all around strange looks from some in there ,, returned ,time passes , it's now 1.30 pm , (cracked ) i informed them i will leave at bi song , 2pm ,with my CT and Xrays ,people are a bit shocked ,they can't get me out off there fast enough ,into the queue line outside the waiting room with the words from those in premium care as soon as he comes walk in ,not long 2pm arrises , CT in hand back to talk to the ladies in premium care, they have only these Docs they can deal with ,it would seem this particular Doc comes and goes when ever he pleases , they never know where he is never know when or if he's going to turn up but still have to submit the appointments ,At this point i will state the premium care ladies are not at fault ,they cannot control the Docs ,so i hobbled out ,
new approach , starts monday but i think it's now going to be next year as the surgeon is off to Japan soon to learn the robotic computer for two months , and will be installing one sometime next year , 8 hospital tours in eleven days ,6 to udon ,hey ho TIT \:D/

Fatone
udonmap.com

Post by Fatone » October 27, 2022, 8:00 pm

I read about a procedure where the doc inserts a teflon coated slip in knee to reduce friction, sounds safer than a full prosthetic but I can't find anywhere in Thailand advertising this. maybe worth asking the doc?

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » October 27, 2022, 8:59 pm

Yep having been involved in engineering all my life... On the knee replacement id have thought slips of one material or another would be a solution to joint problems. It's worth bringing into the discussion with surgeon. But as usual tit

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » October 28, 2022, 3:36 pm

If it's any help this is what the replacment in my knee looks like
smith redux.jpg

Fatone
udonmap.com

Post by Fatone » October 28, 2022, 8:17 pm

that looks interesting Joepai, care to go into more detail? Cost? Where can you get it done? Recovery time and pain? resuts re walking, pain etc?

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » October 29, 2022, 8:26 am

Fatone wrote:
October 28, 2022, 8:17 pm
that looks interesting Joepai, care to go into more detail? Cost? Where can you get it done? Recovery time and pain? resuts re walking, pain etc?
See my post above

It was done in Bangkok/Pattaya Hospital by a surgeon recommended to me by a UK Doctor – happy to let you know his name if you wish
The ‘package’ price was 370k and worth every Baht

No pain and recovery in a couple of months. This was done in May and unless I think about it I would never know the knee had been replaced.
The bottom line is to make sure you get the very best surgeon

Return to “Health & Beauty”