knee replacement surgery

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
Fatone
udonmap.com

Re: knee replacement surgery

Post by Fatone » October 29, 2022, 7:11 pm

Thanks mate,sounds like just what I am after with my arthritic knee. can you let me know doctor please, maybe have to wait for funds

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » October 30, 2022, 3:20 pm

Fatone wrote:
October 29, 2022, 7:11 pm
Thanks mate,sounds like just what I am after with my arthritic knee. can you let me know doctor please, maybe have to wait for funds
The surgeon is Nammon Yaikwavong - BangkokPattaya Hospital
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » October 30, 2022, 4:44 pm

Whistler wrote:
October 16, 2022, 11:47 am
Surgeons always see a surgical solution as that is what they understand, but not always right. By refusing a surgeons choice to amputate my right leg, I saved the limb and function almost normally.

I would explore every option before going under the knife, there is not always an option, but worth exploring.
Agreed. I view surgery as the final option when nothing else works. That said, in the last year and a half, I've had both brain and heart surgery. Both completely successful, I'm happy to report. But my opinion hasn't changed. Surgery is still a last resort for me.

Fatone
udonmap.com

Post by Fatone » October 30, 2022, 7:05 pm

thanks Joepai

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 30, 2022, 7:36 pm

Fatone wrote:
October 30, 2022, 7:05 pm
thanks Joepai
Good luck Joepail, I hope you get a physiotherapist as dead set gorgeous as the one I had when I was 17. Further I hope you get further than I did.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » November 1, 2022, 1:48 am

Latest ,
Monday has arrived , back to surgeon ,has clinic in Kumphawapi ,CT scan in hand , informs him on everything that has gone on in the past at Udon ,,,he already knows most , but not the part were i hobbled out , he then went on to explain why the lady doc referred me to the invisiable man ,(i thought she was just concerned with the statins i was taking )this was not the case , she was concerned that if the femural block failed they would have to put breathing tube down my throat into my lungs ,hence the referal to scarlet pimpernel ,(there had been no mention of femural block up to now ,)yes the tube down the throat is ok , and op can go ahead, now come the problem of getting the tube out ,tricky ,so the date is now set 13th november , ill keep posted on results and costs ,and recovery time

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » November 17, 2022, 6:07 am

Just an update. On treatment and costs.
Entered udon gen hospital sat 12th .op commenced 6pm Sunday 13th.everything went well the dreaded failure of femural block didn't happen. Three hours op
Doc's great. Nursing staff even better.. I was constantly joking which brightened the place up. Monday didn't move tubes etc. Tuesday on my feet exercises etc. The ligaments at back of leg gave me grief... The knee no problem.
Wednesday discharged to do physio at home.
Total knee replacement total cost 155.970 bht.but because of my underlying medical conditions there was a further investigation. Lungs heart etc that added 14.000 bht .not everyone will have this cost .hope this helps dispell the myths of gov hospitals
For myself I didn't come here to make cash cow hospital's richer I'd sooner assist in the costs of gov funded hospital's

Fatone
udonmap.com

Post by Fatone » November 17, 2022, 6:23 am

Hi mate,very glad it all went well. How is the pain

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 17, 2022, 8:41 am

Good outcome, agree apart from the beds ( uncomfortable ) and lack of good food, Government Hospital will offer the same if not better level of care from a patients perspective. when you walk or drive around Udon the huge number of geriaric people you see being upwardly mobile they have got to be doing something right.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » November 17, 2022, 8:55 am

Name me Hospital with good meals in the World

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 17, 2022, 8:58 am

Doodoo wrote:
November 17, 2022, 8:55 am
Name me Hospital with good meals in the World
Chiltern Hosptial, Great Missenden .England, following by Back Op was treated to Beef Wellington as a main meal, perfectly cooked and presented.

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » November 17, 2022, 9:12 am

After first meal Saturday spicy. They gave me an option of paying 500 bht a day for western food. I declined. From then on (not including breakfast which is a sloppy rice dish.) all the rest was quite good they'd removed all the spice. Just further all the special rooms (cheap ones were taken.) but they offered me a big one at 3000 bht a day... I declined this as well. The ward is spotless. And good fun if you can get the humour going which I did.
The wife stayed with me all the time. Both assisting nurses and patients who had no visitors. Great experience

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » November 17, 2022, 10:22 am

Fatone wrote:
November 17, 2022, 6:23 am
Hi mate,very glad it all went well. How is the pain
The pain at first is bad ,BUT , nothing to do with the knee , my experience being an old fart ,the ligaments that control all leg/ankle/knee movement become less flexible as you age ,i had not moved for three days , so initial movement of just foot ankle up and down ,hurt , i worked on this for some time , easier , then surgeon walks in and bends my knee (for the first time ouch what a pisser ,) but as before it was not the knee , the ligament was ridgid ,lost the use use of my practised ankle movement , but it came back in a couple of hours ,so onto raising and bending the leg /knee , yep hurt like hell , but youve got to go through it ,,,now one day out , ive just hung out the washing , and put covers on the fish bowls ,(the wife will be chastising me when she see's it , ) conclusion , if you want to get back to normal (before the arthritis that put you in here in the first place) you've got to put in the physio work , hopefully this will help someone ,

Fatone
udonmap.com

Post by Fatone » November 17, 2022, 7:30 pm

Thanks Hooper,gonna have to do itsooner or later,just need the money. Waiting on inheritance

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 17, 2022, 8:38 pm

Hoopoe.

Good luck and great endurance to you. Go the physio and your courage to see it thru. When I was struggling walking again after many months, this was on a frame on the wall, it inspired me.

'If you think you are beaten, you are.If you think you dare not, you don't. If you like to win but think you can't It is almost certain you won't.

If you think you'll lose, you're lost. For out of the world we find Success begins with a fellows' will. It's all in the state of mind.

If you think you are outclassed, you are. You've got to think high to rise; You've got to be sure of yourself before You can ever win a prize.

Life's battles don't always go To the stronger or faster man; But sooner or later the man who wins Is the man who thinks he can.

~Walter D. Wintle
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » November 29, 2022, 9:34 am

PROPRIOSEPTION
update on recovery ,
the curiosity got the better of me , I wanted to know what the hell was going on , got that word from Doc Martyn
check it out ,
you lose the sensors in your muscles ETC , mostly from what I can gather partial , but I'm one of those lucky ones ,
TOTAL loss of sensors from hip to ankle , hence the awful pain in the ligaments just moving firstly foot up and down ,
Thigh muscles ,they are there but no connection , weird when your telling it to move and get nothing ,All this sort of movement is sometimes called sixth sense .
So sixteen days down the rd ,got most of the thigh muscles back and calf muscles , when working on them (physio) there's some pain , but the pain I've found comes afterwards .
Any time day and night ,
The knee so far hasn't given me any grief , it's starting to make an appearance through the swelling ,I can now move the kneecap using the thigh muscles , weird when you first do that .
The only physio I was given ,was how to use the Zimmer frame ,,,which I ditched after 2 days ,
So for those thinking about a knee replacement here in Thailand ,here's what I advise .
Get on U tube there's loads of physio video's , and (bit late for I) videos on exercises prior to operation .(which I presume reduces the loss of sensors )
I've written all this post for people thinking about the OP ,
very few people mention the prior and definitely not the after physio pain ETC, mostly you get "I'VE no pain at all,"
and the other side ,"the OP is useless " (due to their lack of commitment to physio)
So for those interested checkout
PROPRIOSEPTION , cheers to Doc Martyn for that one ,

Return to “Health & Beauty”