Which city for medical and dental

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
marcusb
udonmap.com

Which city for medical and dental

Post by marcusb » August 14, 2022, 6:42 pm

Just got back after my two year escape for Covid. I need to look after double hernia, weird sore foot, advanced ulcers, and dental work. sigh

I was thinking of staying in a city for a month or so to try and get on top of this. Pattaya, Khon Kaen, or Udon or ? Bangkok is out, dreadful here.

Will I find prices and services pretty much the same at all centres?

Prices matter, paying cash.

I remember Khon Kaen has a nice grouping of Hospitals by the uni, anyone had experience there?

thanks

joepai
udonmap.com

Re: Which city for medical and dental

Post by joepai » August 15, 2022, 4:17 pm

Insurance - Pattaya
Cash - KK
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 15, 2022, 4:51 pm

Udon has the army hospital that some of our resident senior citizens rate quite highly. There's also maybe two or three dental surgeries in Udon that get positive comments in related threads. Maybe prioritize what's ailing you most and start from there?

Srinagarind is KK university's teaching hospital. It's vast and probably has everything you need (sort of) under one roof. I renewed my offshore medical there last month and I had to hit about 8 different departments in a 3 or 4 hour onslaught. Walked all over the shop and never saw the half of it. Note that signage is exclusively Thai but departments also have regular numbers and I was given a "map" that gave a very rough idea of what was where. You know how good the locals are at maps!

It was VERY busy so your initial walk-in and round of assessments may be daunting. However, once they get your ducks in a row, I imagine they're reasonably efficient. My observation suggested a lot of walk-in patients or referrals from out of town clinics and doctors? Oh yes, the main waiting areas are outside so can get hot and sticky. Once you get inside the department you have an appointment at, there's limited air-conditioned seating.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

marcusb
udonmap.com

Post by marcusb » August 16, 2022, 7:06 am

Cheers, thanks for the info.
I think all things consider I may as well do it in a city I am familiar with. Also easier to bring a translator if I need.

I'll go for KK and possibly Udon for the hernias, I do remember reading good reviews on this site.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 16, 2022, 8:53 am

On another note, the convenience of private hospitals is probably a faster, more comfortable, one-stop assessment of what's what. There's also a better chance of a one-on-one with a medical professional who can address any language barrier. I would be wary of relying on a Thai friend or acquaintance on accurately translating the options for (say) a hernia operation. Of course that does come with a price tag so maybe reserve that for what may be the most complex, worrying or mysterious issue?

One thing I would recommend, especially if you haven't had any recent interaction with a doctor or hospital anywhere, is get a physical check-up with urinalysis and blood work. It's extremely advantageous to have advance warning of anything that may be precipitating a medical issue or may prevent a recommended medical procedure. A friend of mine was recently prevented from getting relatively minor surgery when his pre-op health screening indicated an undiagnosed blood pressure issue that made the procedure risky. Personally, recent, routine medicals brought some age/diet/exercise related issues to my attention that I managed to get a handle on quite quickly.

I recall there's been a few members sharing details here of where they can get this lab work done in Udon at local prices. However, the issue of a professional assessment of these test results is very important as well as knowing yourself what's good and bad. That last bit is what the internet is handy for but don't rely on self-diagnosis.

Good luck.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » August 16, 2022, 9:23 am

tamada wrote:
August 16, 2022, 8:53 am
On another note, the convenience of private hospitals is probably a faster, more comfortable, one-stop assessment of what's what. ... Of course that does come with a price tag ....
For those of us on U.S. Medicare who have one of the quite common Medicare supplement insurance policies, check it for foreign coverage. Mine covers me anywhere in the world, even if it's not an emergency. My policy's coverage is that if it's something that Medicare covers in the U.S., they will cover it globally. Separately, it doesn't hurt that Bumrungrad is a direct participating member hospital of Massachusetts Blue Cross Blue Shield. I'd love to know how/why that came about.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » August 17, 2022, 6:26 pm

perhaps under the umbrella of the larger Blue Cross/Blue Shield organizagtion. A number of Bangkok Hospitals honor BC/BS. Bangkok Hospital Udon did a few years ago when I was still on my Fed retiree BC/BS. Billed directly to them...
Dave

marcusb
udonmap.com

Post by marcusb » August 19, 2022, 5:44 am

Ive decided to go to a top(IMO) hospital to get the tests and diagnostic work done. prioritize. Then pick the appropriate facility for each procedure. Hernias for example have been diagnosed and I would feel confident going most anywhere for that one.
Ive been incorrectly diagnosed twice here, heart failure and detached retina. Both mistakes cost me. I have faith in their work when they know the problem but I'm not confident with diagnostic work.

Tamada; I'd feel confident bringing a translator for directions and silly stuff, but yes no way I want her translating doctors conversations. I found, maybe just lucky, language barrier all the way up to the doctor but most the docs spoke English. Thanks, some good info.

Return to “Health & Beauty”