Blood testers and test strips

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
tamada
udonmap.com

Blood testers and test strips

Post by tamada » June 16, 2022, 5:37 pm

I was looking for a home cholesterol test kit along the lines of what Boots used to sell years ago in the UK: simple lancet and test strip with visual comparison of the color. It looks like this market has got a lot more sophisticated and electronic analyzers with multiple test functionality appear to be the new way. Most of them are primarily advertised as blood glucose testers which, along with other precursors, is probably handy for picking up early onset diabetes? Just use different test strips. Looking on Lazada, there are plenty choices even within Thailand which is a bonus but the prices vary widely.

Has anyone purchased one of these multitest gizmos and the test strips or can otherwise recommend one?

Ta
tam

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Blood testers and test strips

Post by stattointhailand » June 16, 2022, 7:07 pm

Make sure the name Elizabeth Holmes or Theranos don't appear anywhere on them tam

Given the govt splashed out millions on bomb detectors that have never worked, theres no telling what else they bought on the cheap without checking =;

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 17, 2022, 10:31 am

To get a reference or base line, I plan on getting a cholesterol test done locally.

Any recommendations for this one-off test at a local hospital? I wold assume the private hospitals would be all about selling a suite of 'wellness' tests but looking for a one test shop. Does the Army hospital do it? Or maybe the main one at Nong Prajak?

Ta
tam
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » June 17, 2022, 11:00 am

The military hospital did it last year.
Stay safe.

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » June 17, 2022, 11:02 am

tamada wrote:
June 16, 2022, 5:37 pm
Most of them are primarily advertised as blood glucose testers which, along with other precursors, is probably handy for picking up early onset diabetes? Just use different test strips. Looking on Lazada, there are plenty choices even within Thailand which is a bonus but the prices vary widely.
I have the Accu-Chek Performa model for testing blood sugar. I understand the Accu-chek InstantPlus model can test for sugar and cholesterol although the strips look pretty spendy.

https://www.hopkinsmedicalproducts.com/ ... ips-590911

Both machine and strips "may" be available at Forte since I buy my Performa strips there. Not sure but may be worth stopping in next time you are on the West side ring road.

Regarding accuracy, I did compare mine to the BKK Hospital lab and it was well within tolerance when the strips are within the use by date.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 17, 2022, 11:58 am

This looks like a decent 'swiss army knife' tester without having to wait for it coming from China.

"Inside the box includes - GCU tester, glucose test strips 10 strips, cholesterol test strips 2 strips. Uric acid test 10 strips, 25 blood collection needles size 30 G, with a pen for clearing blood collection needles."

Additional cholesterol test strips are around 200 baht for two.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/easyt ... 96973.html
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 17, 2022, 11:59 am

the-monk wrote:
June 17, 2022, 11:00 am
Stay safe.
Thanks for that. I think I read recently they are good a taking walk-in foreigners to the front of the queue? My youngest was born there so reckon it's a good option.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » June 17, 2022, 1:30 pm

tamada wrote:
June 17, 2022, 11:59 am
the-monk wrote:
Stay safe.
Thanks for that. I think I read recently they are good a taking walk-in foreigners to the front of the queue? My youngest was born there so reckon it's a good option.
First, come early around 06.00, tidight is enough for you to get a queue among the first who want to see the doctor. After that you take and go to where you should leave the blood sample. They start work at 07.00. The note for blood tests that you previously received from your doctor, you now leave to the LEFT door, pay for the samples in the right. Wait until you are called, leave blood. Done.Go back to where you took the queue for your scheduled visit. Sit down and wait until it's your turn. See the doctor, she has already received your test results..so sit back and ask nothing..I did it and got one look that said SHE did not want me to question her decision..I asked if she respected me, she nodded and asked if I respected her..I won ..I got another appointment 1/7..se if i need to come with boxing gloves and mouth guard or not..just joking Tam..She is very nice..;-)Goodluck Tam..Hope this helps

thewatchman
udonmap.com

Post by thewatchman » June 18, 2022, 9:32 am

tamada wrote:
the-monk wrote:
Stay safe.
i do know that the government hospital on nong prajak has a walk in section for foreigners ,had a friend go last week for blood work,in and out within 30 minutes,back a few hours later for results,he had PSA,Blood sugar and Cholesterol done
laughing at the occasional visitor and failed taxi drivers

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 18, 2022, 10:21 am

thewatchman wrote:
June 18, 2022, 9:32 am
tamada wrote:
the-monk wrote:
Stay safe.
i do know that the government hospital on nong prajak has a walk in section for foreigners ,had a friend go last week for blood work,in and out within 30 minutes,back a few hours later for results,he had PSA,Blood sugar and Cholesterol done
Excellent info, thanks.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Return to “Health & Beauty”