How many of you you suffers from Insomnia.

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
DuiDui49
udonmap.com

How many of you you suffers from Insomnia.

Post by DuiDui49 » August 13, 2021, 7:10 pm

Here's the criteria for Insomnia,if you don't know.

The DSM-5 defines insomnia as dissatisfaction with sleep quantity or quality, associated with one (or more) of the following symptoms: Difficulty initiating sleep. Difficulty maintaining sleep, characterized by frequent awakenings or problems returning to sleep after awakenings.

Mine started when i came to Thailand -2002..All the noises i was not used too.Music,dogs barking,cars and motorbikes revving more or less 24/7.Neighbours some of them)didn't care one jota if you couldn't sleep,music kept on playing..Were i came from i was used that people did respect you as a neighbour and that you had to get some sleep before work.And the biggest diffrent was,if i called the police..they came..here not so much ;)

So my question is:How many of you really suffers from Insomnia.
When did it start and do you cope with not getting enough sleep.

I'm 63 and decent fit for my age i would say.No drinking or smoking..no medical conditions,on no medications..no stress in my life..i can't simply get that all interupted 8 hours of sleep i so desperate need to feel 100% mentally and physically rested.I can get 1 out of three nights with okey sleep..

So tell me about your Insomnia.

Thanks for reading..//Alfie..:-)

grievous
udonmap.com

Re: How many of you you suffers from Insomnia.

Post by grievous » August 13, 2021, 7:26 pm

Noisy neighbours & barking dogs buggering your sleep up isn't insomnia.
An old bloke like you low testosterone could be the issue. Low test can cause problems with getting a good nights sleep

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » August 13, 2021, 7:32 pm

grievous wrote:
August 13, 2021, 7:26 pm
Noisy neighbours & barking dogs buggering your sleep up isn't insomnia.
An old bloke like you low testosterone could be the issue. Low test can cause problems with getting a good nights sleep
Last check 1 year ago i had a Testlevel of 698..so no problem there i think.And i said ALL started when i came from a quiet Sweden to a not-so quiet Thailand..which,together with age,didn't help me to find a godnights sleep like before.

grievous
udonmap.com

Post by grievous » August 13, 2021, 7:37 pm

Ah ok. I just thought noise keeping you awake isn't insomnia.
People who suffer from insomnia just wake up for no apparent reason.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » August 13, 2021, 7:41 pm

You’ve said you drink coffee before, can I ask how often & when?

I used to have a desk next to a free vend coffee machine so drank it continuously throughout the day. I’d go to bed exhausted but wake up an hour later & not get back to sleep no matter how tired I was.
I limited my coffees to before noon & got a lot better uninterrupted sleep. I then switched to decaf & sleep was even better but I struggled to get it here in Thailand so went cold turkey & gave up coffee & tea completely for about 3 years & sleep was okay.
Started on iced coffees again last year when the urge was unbearable & before I knew it was drinking gallons & getting restless sleep again so cut back to before noon & it’s better again
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » August 13, 2021, 7:46 pm

Niggly wrote:
August 13, 2021, 7:41 pm
You’ve said you drink coffee before, can I ask how often & when?One cup around 06.00 and one more around 13.00..that's it.

I used to have a desk next to a free vend coffee machine so drank it continuously throughout the day. I’d go to bed exhausted but wake up an hour later & not get back to sleep no matter how tired I was.
I limited my coffees to before noon & got a lot better uninterrupted sleep. I then switched to decaf & sleep was even better but I struggled to get it here in Thailand so went cold turkey & gave up coffee & tea completely for about 3 years & sleep was okay.
Started on iced coffees again last year when the urge was unbearable & before I knew it was drinking gallons & getting restless sleep again so cut back to before noon & it’s better again

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 13, 2021, 7:47 pm

I'm not sure it qualifies as insomnia, but my getting-to-sleep pattern was a bit hit and miss. Until I stumbled upon this fail-safe (to date at least) method.

I stream a variety of classical music stations on my PC almost all day, every day.

When I am ready to switch off the light, I set a mini-instruction on the computer to close down, and switch off the music, after 30 minutes.

I am very rarely still awake when the computer turns off. Far more likely is that I wake up some time later, and wonder why the music has stopped.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » August 13, 2021, 7:54 pm

DuiDui49 wrote:
August 13, 2021, 7:46 pm
One cup around 06.00 and one more around 13.00..that's it.
Aah, probably not that then.

What’s your device usage like before bed?
There’s definitely something in this “blue light” thing that’s supposed to be emitted from screens. If I’m looking at a device within about an hour before bed I know I’ll be restless

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » August 13, 2021, 7:55 pm

jackspratt wrote:
August 13, 2021, 7:47 pm
I'm not sure it qualifies as insomnia, but my getting-to-sleep pattern was a bit hit and miss. Until I stumbled upon this fail-safe (to date at least) method.

I stream a variety of classical music stations on my PC almost all day, every day.

When I am ready to switch off the light, I set a mini-instruction on the computer to close down, and switch off the music, after 30 minutes.

I am very rarely still awake when the computer turns off. Far more likely is that I wake up some time later, and wonder why the music has stopped.
Got you,same with me..music can't be without it..about 30 to 1 hour before bedtime i listen to sleep inducing music,mostly slow piano,do my prayers..send thanks for another beautiful day,in short being thankfull for the obvious things like food on the tabel,love in life,healthy,roof over my head..and more.Sort of Meditations/prayers and deepbreathing excercises.But still something is missing i guess...But they say getting old(er)you don't need as much sleep as you did when young(er).

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » August 13, 2021, 9:02 pm

Drinking and sex help
Sleep like a baby
Just wake up needing to be changed
Pays to wear diapers

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 13, 2021, 9:36 pm

I find that by the time ive tried to remember all the Thai govt instructions about No kissing and wearing rubber gloves etc etc I'm far too alert to go to sleep again

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 14, 2021, 7:21 am

If I find going to sleep a problem, I read a book , one that you can get into of you understand what I mean, your body is relaxed and that assists in going to sleep.
Often the lack or interupted sleep is your sub-conscious thinking about matters you did, need to do or upcoming, so reading forces those thoughts to one side .
Works for me .

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » August 14, 2021, 8:13 am

Can't say I suffer from insomnia, gone 2 minutes after my head hits the pillow BUT it's a reoccurring dream EVERY night for the past 3 or so years no matter where my location. I get trapped in a Central Plaza styled shopping mall and can't fine my way out, start climbing over roofs, opening doors into smelly slums - on and on.

Anyway after my heart scare, 2 1/2 years ago, I wear a monitor tied to an app on my phone. It also monitors sleep patterns, attached is last night, not must deep sleep but no awaking either. I think the REM (Rapid Eye Movements) sleep occurs when I fall off the effin roof 5555
Attachments
Screenshot_20210814-075335_Health.jpg
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 14, 2021, 9:39 am

If all else fails a couple of large Rums does the trick, guaranteed 100%

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » August 14, 2021, 10:17 am

^ no it doesn’t.

Alcohol will help you fall asleep quicker because it has sedative properties but your likely to have a disrupted sleep as your liver enzymes metabolize the alcohol.

Best to stick to reading your Janet & John books before bed you old soak

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » August 14, 2021, 11:42 am

Khun Paul wrote:
August 14, 2021, 10:58 am
Now not only am I Dim but also a Dum dum, how kind, keep it up maybe you will graduate to adult insults soon ...hahaha
Not even this thread could be without TRASH post by some..sorry state of mind by some.Not even an ex copper like Khun Paul now to just read/listen INTEAD of getting into muddslinging.I give both of you a RED CARD---->pai..PAI--->But still love u all guys ;-)

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » August 14, 2021, 11:53 am

Rum slinging

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Post by Declan MacPherson » August 16, 2021, 7:57 am

Some sleep advice.
"Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." - Ephesians 6:11

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 16, 2021, 12:28 pm

In my 50+ years of slinging rum or whisky or vodka of a night, I've never had my liver enzymes keep me awake. Now if beer is the bedtime tipple, then my liver's two neighbors will get me out of bed soon enough. Unless of course I have remembered to slip on the appropriate nightwear that noosard mentioned in another thread.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » August 18, 2021, 2:37 pm

Just saw this ad on banana tea to help with sleeping
Clean banana and then boil either whole or just skin if worried about sugar levels
Drink

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/banana-tea

Why Does banana tea help you sleep?
2. Promotes Peaceful Sleep. Banana tea contains muscle relaxants like tryptophan, serotonin, and dopamine, which help in treating sleep disorders like insomnia by inducing sleep. Tryptophan, an amino acid, produces sleep-inducing hormones like serotonin and melatonin.

Return to “Health & Beauty”