shingles jab is it worth it ?

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
yartims
udonmap.com

shingles jab is it worth it ?

Post by yartims » April 8, 2019, 5:33 pm

i hear its painfull but worth a jab?

the only good Tory is a lavatory

stereolab
udonmap.com

Re: shingles jab is it worth it ?

Post by stereolab » April 8, 2019, 10:40 pm

I had an episode with Shingles whilst serving in Germany, I was literally crawling up the wall in pain. Thankfully the MO recognized it immediately, and prescribed treatment. One week off work confined to the Mess, no contact with others. I would take the jab if offered.

tinpeeba
udonmap.com

Post by tinpeeba » April 9, 2019, 1:38 am

Had a shingles jab a few weeks ago, the jab itself was no more painful than any other I've had but my arm ached a bit for about 24 hours.
My father had shingles when he was my age and having seen how badly he suffered with it I did't want to go through the same.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » April 9, 2019, 2:24 am

there are two versions of the shingles inoculation. The older one was around 50% effective. The latest one supposedly 90%. I had the earlier one in 2012 and in 2016 noticed fever and lesions sprouting around my leg and wrapping to my back. I visited Bangkok Hospital where the Thai doctor quickly pronounced, "Shingles..." "But, but I said,,, I had the shot..."" "Ha ha said the Docotor.. maybe 50%.. But, that said and done, my episode was of a short duration though quite painful, with minimal nerve issues afterwards.. So, I'd say verify that the inoculation is of the latest version and get it..
Dave

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » April 9, 2019, 2:31 am

Shingrix (recombinant zostervaccine) is the preferred vaccine and the newer one.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 9, 2019, 7:57 am

My wife got the shot in the US......broke out in itchy hives for a week. Something to do with not having chicken pox in her youth

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » April 10, 2019, 2:51 pm

Do your own research and consider your own personal risk factors.
My doctor recommended it, but other than having had chicken pox I don't have other high risk factors, so I've opted to put off getting this jab for a while.
People who are older, depressed, and have compromised immune systems or other illnesses are more likely to suffer with shingles. However, it has also been previously shown that sex, ethnicity, stress, trauma and exposure to heavy metals are risk factors associated with the disease. Recent research in the field of genetics has pointed to additional related risk factors for shingles and other infectious diseases associated with reduced immune capabilities.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/107960.php
Severe Side Effects
Even when it is administered according to protocol, the Shingrix vaccine is very reactive. The vaccine’s side effects are known to be more severe than those associated with Zostavax, but public health officials insist the vaccine’s benefits are worth the risk of “skin rash, joint pain, flu-like symptoms, headaches and fatigue” commonly experienced by those who get it.8 Kathleen Dooling, MD of the CDC’s Division of Viral Diseases admitted that more than 70 percent of patients had pain and, “About one in six people experienced side effects so severe that it actually prevented their normal activities.” https://thevaccinereaction.org/2018/09/ ... -problems/
What bothers me the most is that the CDC panel evaluating Shingrix split 8-7 over whether to recommend it above Zostavax, a highly unusual lack of consensus. Several panel members advocated collecting safety data on Shingrix for a year or two before endorsing it over Zostavax. One member noted that the adjuvant in Shingrix that boosts the immune response “has never been out in the real world before.” So waiting a year or two before getting the vaccine seems prudent.
http://jenniferjacobsmd.com/the-new-shingrix-vaccine/
(Shingrix has been available to the public since 2017.)

UFF DA!

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » April 11, 2019, 3:52 am

I wish to thank the contributors this discussion of shingles. My doctor recently recommended that I receive a vaccination against shingles and I made no decision as I was ignorant on the subject. Now I am aware that I may suffer an episode of shingles as I have had chicken pox. It appears reasonable to me that it is worth chancing some undesirable side effects to almost(?) rule out the possibility of having shingles.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » September 15, 2022, 5:00 pm

Zostavax is available at Wattana for 5500 baht. They do not have Shingrix. Does anyone know if Shingrix is available in Udon.

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » September 15, 2022, 5:25 pm

mak wrote:
September 15, 2022, 5:00 pm
Zostavax is available at Wattana for 5500 baht. They do not have Shingrix. Does anyone know if Shingrix is available in Udon.
This is related but does not answer your question, Mak, sorry.

I had Zostavax at Bumrungrad in Jan 2020. Cost 7135. No rash symptoms or any reaction.

My wife had shingles last year. Very painful. Not sure if it was the Zostavax or the precautions she took etc but I never contracted it and was happy I didn't given her experience. I DID have chicken pox as a child.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » September 15, 2022, 7:11 pm

I was exposed to alot of heavy metal back in my younger days..bummer

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » September 15, 2022, 7:45 pm

Just a friendly reminder, the Shingrix vaccine is given in two different jabs two to six months apart

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » September 15, 2022, 7:49 pm

I received Zostavax early feb, no idea of the cost as I didn’t pay but after reading about it after the jab it appears far less effective 51% against shingles then the shingrix. 95+%.
So it may be worth shopping around the hospitals in udon.
I had no effects from the jab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » September 16, 2022, 7:02 am

Like many in my youth many children had Chickenpox , no thought was given however to whether you would get Shingles.
Well I did while serving and was confined to deck number 14 on HMS Belfast Submarine replenishing ship moored in belfast harbour at the start of the Nothern island situation`.
Apart from the damn itching the other problem was having to go up 7 decks to get food, when one is ill not a mean task.

Noone offered me an injection, just treatment and mild painkillers. Only fatal I was told of all the spots joined up around the body........hahaha.

Just another onbe of those illnesses that can catch you out , like measles and German measles, you can catch both and more than once so I am told. However once you have had Chickenpox AND Shingles you are relatively safe.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 18, 2022, 5:35 pm

My dad got shingles and it was really painful and took a while to go away. So long he ended up growing a beard as the rash on his face and neck was just too sensitive to go near with clippers. I think he also had the rash on his body but that wasn't as painful as the face and neck rash.

I got shingles maybe twelve years ago. Started with a weird wobbly feeling on the crown of my head if I turned it quickly. A few days later, the rash appeared but it was all above my hairline in the scalp with just a little showing behind my left ear and upper neck. No body breakouts. It was more tender than painful and luckily was never as intense and prolonged as my dad's bout. I guess we were both aged around 50 when it struck

I never knew there was a jab for it.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » September 19, 2022, 2:07 pm

I got the Zostavax years ago. Yup, 51% and got a nasty case of Shingles that luckily lasted only a bit over a week but with lingering numbness where the eruptions had occurred.. It might be in your interest to get the later version, the Shingrix with the higher efficacy rate... When I went into Bangkok Hospital here in Udon with the initial Shingles eruptions, the Doc said, "yup, Shingles..." When I protested I'd gotten the vaccine, he laughed and told me, "less than 50%..." They gave me anti-virals and a few other things but what helped more than any of them was Uniren spray. Comes in a small pump spray bottle for tpical use. It numbs the nerves so the pain, tingling would go away temporarily.
Dave

stereolab
udonmap.com

Post by stereolab » September 19, 2022, 5:15 pm

I was hit by shingles whilst serving in Germany, out of the blue I started feeling severe pain around my right hand side chest area, it had me crawling up the wall in pain, that evening, for the first time in 24 years service I almost attended the Medical Centre. Saw the doctor next day, he diagnosed straightaway and I was confined to the Mess for 7 days, no contact with anyone else, ate alone.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » September 20, 2022, 6:47 pm

but Shingles is not communicable. It is the chickenpox virus left over from when we had chickenpox as kids.. It erupts in nerve pathways hence the incredible pain, itching, numbness, tingling...
Dave

stereolab
udonmap.com

Post by stereolab » September 20, 2022, 9:41 pm

The following is from a medical website

Generally shingles is not contagious, but a person with active shingles can spread the virus when the rash is in the blister phase. It's important to keep the rash covered.

Return to “Health & Beauty”