Need Physical Therapist

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
hermajesty
udonmap.com

Need Physical Therapist

Post by hermajesty » January 4, 2013, 8:37 am

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a physical therapist?

Thanks
Hermajesty

parrot
udonmap.com

Need Physical Therapist

Post by parrot » January 4, 2013, 9:30 am

Several years ago I had a handful of therapy sessions at the Military Hospital for a lower back problem. Mostly heat, massage, and stretching. I seem to remember the sessions costly 300 baht per hour.
Last month I had 6 physical therapy sessions at the newly opened Bangkok Hospital for an upper arm problem. Ultrasound, heat, and stretching. The sessions cost 600-900 baht per hour, depending on what they did.
I don't know if you can walk into either location without a doctor recommendation.......but you can always try.

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Need Physical Therapist

Post by mathusalah80 » January 4, 2013, 10:15 am

As with Khun Parrot, I have partaken of several periods of very satisfactory treatment at the Military Hospital over several years, although not now for about two years.
I did not obtain a prior appointment with a Doctor, but simply went directly to the Unit (walk through the main reception area to the back overlooking the Park area). However, I do have a 'file' with the hospital, and which the P/Unit called up on each occasion. So it may well be you need to be 'on record' as a patient of the Hospital, to be enabled to go direct to the Unit for treatment.
I can state, authoritively, that I found the staff to be well qualified to treat what ailed me, and I was happy with the results obtained, on each occasion. Certainly I can think of no justification for paying AEK double the fee of the Military Hospital.
Incidentally Military Hospital Unit has a small adequately equipped gymnasium , immediately adjoining the Unit which, as a patient, is available to you to help ease your way back to fitness, and which is supervised by the Physio staff.
Hope this informaton helps.

hermajesty
udonmap.com

Need Physical Therapist

Post by hermajesty » January 4, 2013, 11:35 am

Thank you, both of you. Interesting recommendation for the Mil. hospital. Actually, it is all related for me. I had surgery there 7 weeks ago and want to restore abdominal/core strength so I don't develop a hernia in the future so I am a patient there already. (I know I need to do a report on my experience which was good. GLAD I went there!)

I think that is the way I will go, thank you! I could use a personal trainer but they have to be someone with some knowledge not just a history of working out. I am not sure if what I want really "qualifies" as PT but here in Udon I have been thinking that PT is just the best bet, probably. What do you guys think?

Methusalah, I love your name. I think you are old, hope that's ok!! ;-)

HM

Stevo
udonmap.com

Need Physical Therapist

Post by Stevo » January 4, 2013, 12:28 pm

Have you considered Pilates? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilates

I started this method after a successful spinal operation, which enabled me to walk again after spending 2 years in a wheelchair. I recommend you have a look at it at least.

wazza
udonmap.com

Need Physical Therapist

Post by wazza » January 9, 2013, 11:43 am

PT's are not qualified Phyisotherapists as we know in the western world.

Yes they do study at uni etc, but not to the levels expats would expect.

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Need Physical Therapist

Post by mathusalah80 » January 9, 2013, 6:11 pm

hermajesty,
Timely warning by Wazza.
Assuming you follow through with your intention to seek out the Therepists at RMH, I suggest you should seek their advice as regards not only abdominal, but also surrounding/supporting muscle groups strengthening exercises most appropriate to your condition, including frequency and intensity, (most important). I further suggest that you then attend at the before mentioned RMH gymnasium, where the Therapists who treat(ed) you are easily accessible for ongoing advice and supervision.
Hope everything works out for you.

Methusalah, I love your name. I think you are old, hope that's ok!! :shock: -- I have no comment to make, but it is possible one of my 'friends' will not miss such an opportunity! [-( :-"

Arosolius
udonmap.com

Need Physical Therapist

Post by Arosolius » February 17, 2013, 8:14 pm

There are now some very good therapists in and around Udon. Just ask Google for "massage Udon Thani" or Udon Thani massage" and you'll find two or three qualified practitioners with diplomas.

kruklanki
udonmap.com

Need Physical Therapist

Post by kruklanki » February 24, 2013, 7:06 pm

Good advice Arsolus
I did exactly as you said and found a great qualified massage therapist in a village 20 minutes out from Udon.

milkman
udonmap.com

Need Physical Therapist

Post by milkman » February 25, 2013, 6:36 pm

Is that Rose you're talking about? A friend said she really helped him with back pain.

kruklanki
udonmap.com

Need Physical Therapist

Post by kruklanki » February 27, 2013, 9:22 am

Yep, that’s the girl. My problem was “referred pain” from my left leg to my back. Had the back problem off and on for years. It turned out to have been referred from my leg. I told her about my back and she went straight to my leg, manipulated it and I felt it in my back. Don’t know how it all works but she obviously does and she’s mended me. Of course, there’s no knowing how long it will last. Since then I found a lot of guff in internet about referred pain some of it on Wikipedia here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Referred_pain

bamboozle
udonmap.com

Need Physical Therapist

Post by bamboozle » February 28, 2013, 1:48 pm

I been massaged by both girls there. The other girl there Pen too shes real good too ,she does traditional Thai massages and calls Rose in if somethings got be fixed like a slip disc or something. On their website says Rose taught her so I guess she don’t have the diplomar. I think theyre the best massage and I tried quite a few but only one room is air con but maybe can call make an appointment to have the air con room.

kruklanki
udonmap.com

Need Physical Therapist

Post by kruklanki » March 7, 2013, 3:52 pm

I've just been there again Bamboozle. Rose said she's going to build another air conditioned room next week. The one that's not totally enclosed is going to be built up to the ceiling and she's going to put in a proper door instead of the curtains.

Jase
udonmap.com

Re: Need Physical Therapist

Post by Jase » October 4, 2018, 11:59 am

Sorry to bump an old thread...

I have a friend who lives on Nong Bua Road in town, who has difficulty walking due to his tendons shrinking. I'm sure this can be treated with some sympathetic traditional massage, but I need to find someone who can visit him at home.

Does anyone know someone who might be able to help?

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » October 4, 2018, 9:15 pm

Bangkok Hospital has a team of PT's on staff who may be interested in some extra money. They also have PT's at the General Hospital who may be interested in extra money.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Jase
udonmap.com

Post by Jase » October 4, 2018, 9:59 pm

fdimike wrote:
October 4, 2018, 9:15 pm
Bangkok Hospital has a team of PT's on staff who may be interested in some extra money. They also have PT's at the General Hospital who may be interested in extra money.
A good idea, but I will have to wait to pursue it further as I'm off back to Chiang Mai in a couple of days.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » October 5, 2018, 5:52 am

It would be much better for your friend if you could get him into Bangkok Hospital for his therapy as they have a lot of specialized equipment there to assist the therapist in treating the patient. I used their services on a couple of occasions (knee and cervical problems) and was very pleased with the results. The one requirement is that a doctor has to order the therapy. On another occasion I contracted with a therapist from the general hospital to help treat a friend of mine (since passed away) who was suffering from Parkinson's Disease. The therapist traveled to my friends location to provide therapy because he had limited mobility. I hope this helps.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Return to “Health & Beauty”