Weight Loss, Detox.....

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
BIGAL
udonmap.com

Weight Loss, Detox.....

Post by BIGAL » January 27, 2012, 2:01 pm

A late compliments of the season & best wishes to all the members, it is great to be back in Udon again after 1 month away!

So, when you give up smoking you add 10 kilos plus Christmas & New Year binges & beers another 5 kilos, whew!

Any suggestions in the Udon area for detox, weight loss & lifestyle change, seems all the health spas are either on the islands or in Bangkok? Is their nothing up this way?

Would appreciate any imformation? :-"

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Weight Loss, Detox.....

Post by BobHelm » January 27, 2012, 2:47 pm

Sort of in the same boat Al...
But don't have any real answers for you...except a lot of effort for small rewards..

First thing is give up the booze.... :shock:

Second is start to be aware of what you are eating. There are a lot of great & free sites on the web for calorie counting and advice.
I found this one sensible.
http://caloriecount.about.com/
Lot of things in their database that you can buy around Udon. Pretty easy to understand & use...Weight & exercise tracking etc. Good at making sure that you are having a sensibly balanced diet, not just starving yourself.. :D
You can do the whole 'Sharing experience' thing on it, but that is a bit of a step to far for me!!

Third thing is exercise... I have picked walking around one of the parks for that... It is a measured distance, so can time as well to see some sort of improvement.
Golf would be a good alternative I think for anyone into it.
I was reluctant to run as, being overweight I thought extra pressure on leg joints would probably do more damage than help. Once I get some more weight off it will get to the jog stage & then who knows...
I am not a gym person & there is not one close to me, but the free equipment at Nong Prajak is worth a go...but it gets very busy there late afternoon/early evening.

The initial results were swift & good...but I sort of expected that...now down to small improvements & if I have a 'play day off' the weight is back on in a trice.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Weight Loss, Detox.....

Post by semperfiguy » January 27, 2012, 2:57 pm

BIGAL, I may not be telling you anything that you don't already know. But over the years I guess I have tried it all, and the thing that works best for me is a simple brisk walk every evening (or early morning) before the sun goes down. There is a lake in my estate and I do 7 laps which is equivalent to 2 miles over 35 minutes. But the key is to walk fast enough that you get your heart rate up enough to effect your metabolism. After awhile you will be burning fat in your sleep and the pounds start coming off if you stick to it. You may have heard the old saying that it takes 21 days to form a habit, so you have to be disciplined enough to establish a routine. The first few weeks you will dread it every day, but after 21 you will start looking forward to it every day. You may have to alter your lifestyle to accommodate a particular time of the day to exercise, but you have to do it! And most importantly, if you're not walking fast enough to get your heart rate up to what is called Target (or Training) Heart Rate, then you are simply wasting your time. I'll attach a chart here for you to figure your minimum and maximum training heart rate.

I supplement my walk with 20 push ups before and after my walk, and you can add some stomach crunches (not old fashioned sit-ups because it's not good for your neck) or other exercises of your choice.

The gym will be a waste of time because it is a hassle to dress for exercise, drive to the spa, finish your routine and then drive back home. From my experience you will give up within a week because it is not convenient. The machines are useless for losing fat, unless you can use a treadmill, stair climber or the like, and still you have to make sure that you are getting your heart rate up there where it needs to be.

I recently went for my annual physical exam and my lipids (cholesterol, triglycerides) were off the charts. I cut out all red meat and now eat only white chicken meat and fish (you can buy some nice frozen fillets at Makro). I eat lots of fresh vegetables, stir fried with the fish or chicken or steamed on the side, and plenty of fresh fruits. I've never felt better in my life. I drink only water...ten 8 oz glasses per day (the booze, coffee and the sodas will kill you), and I never eat or drink anything that dumps sugar directly into my body. Your body should be allowed to manufacture sugar from the carbohydrates that you take in. And don't eat the processed white rice. It has virtually no nutritional value. Eat the brown rice or the unpolished and unprocessed whiter looking rice because it's loaded with nutrients. But you have to let it soak in water for awhile before cooking or it will be hard as compared to the softer white processed rice. The Thais don't like it because they prefer their rice very soft, but most don't realize that they may as well be eating those Styrofoam peanuts that are used for packing.

I guess that about sums it up for me. I'm sticking to my lifestyle changes, the pounds are dropping off and the gut is almost gone. Hope this helps!

Can't upload that chart on Training Heart Rate, but the formula is 220 less your age to get your maximum training heart rate with around 30 beats per minute less for your minimum rate. If you're exercising below the minimum rate you are probably just wasting your time. Wear a watch that counts seconds, put your first two fingers on the main artery on the side of your neck and counts beats for 10 seconds...then multiply times 6. Simple!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

BIGAL
udonmap.com

Weight Loss, Detox.....

Post by BIGAL » January 27, 2012, 7:57 pm

Ok thank you very much, makes sense to build up slowly by taking brisk walks! I am going to start tommorow & get past that 21 days which i had not heard of before.

I also want to get a serious Detox treatment thrown in to help kick this lifestyle change off & seems nothing in Udon so might have to go to Bangkok for that!!!

YES WE CAN!!! \:D/

kjellsnell
udonmap.com

Weight Loss, Detox.....

Post by kjellsnell » January 28, 2012, 7:02 am

Hello Bigal!
I think the best detox treatment in the area around Udonthani will be a retreat in a mountain temple together whit some asketic monks eating only one time per day. You can stay for 3 days (example) friday afternoon until Monday morning. Using the time learning some meditation, do some walk-around the mountain temple area and proceed the goals for your upcoming mission, it cant get better then that!
regards kjell
These days life seems pretty good and I eagerly look forward to the continuation!

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Weight Loss, Detox.....

Post by semperfiguy » January 28, 2012, 9:08 am

BIGAL, I was just thinking this morning...when you say Detox, are you referring to some sort of detox program to adjust your body to getting off alcohol or cigarettes? Or, are you referring to some sort of a colon cleanse?
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

maaka
udonmap.com

Weight Loss, Detox.....

Post by maaka » January 28, 2012, 2:22 pm

there is / was a small family health spa near the Mosgue in Srisuk road, ( up Naresuon Road past tourist police turn next left, and along there somewhere )

BigAl, if you have any of those big black plastic rubbish bags, cut a hole in the bottom of one so you can stick your head thru, and a couple of holes for your arms, so you have a sort of plastic shirt, and wear this under a T Shirt when out on your exercise walks..its an old jockey trick to loose weight fast..make sure to sip a bottle of water on your walk, otherwise you might flake out because you will get hot..if you dont want to wear it, you can wrap it around your gut.

I am looking into Borax as a detoxing and health agent. The Earth Clinic in Bangkok put me on to it. I will let you know the results in afew weeks..I only eat once a day these last 14yrs, but I still put the weight on, because not doing enough exercise..

Jed
udonmap.com

Weight Loss, Detox.....

Post by Jed » January 28, 2012, 3:35 pm

What time do you eat, maaka?

And what do you eat?

14 years on this "diet", wow.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Weight Loss, Detox.....

Post by semperfiguy » January 28, 2012, 5:01 pm

maaka wrote:I am looking into Borax as a detoxing and health agent. The Earth Clinic in Bangkok put me on to it. I will let you know the results in afew weeks
Maaka, are you sure that you mean "Borax"? I just read this online:

Borax is usually found in the cleaning aisle of your grocery store next to the powdered laundry soaps. The most common brand is 20 Mule Team Borax.

How Safe is Borax
Borax has no toxic fumes and is safe for the environment. Borax can irritate skin and should not be ingested.

What Does Borax Do?
cleans
deodorizes
disinfects
softens water
repels cockroaches and other bugs

lepidoptra
udonmap.com

Weight Loss, Detox.....

Post by lepidoptra » January 28, 2012, 6:53 pm

semperfiguy wrote:maaka wrote:I am looking into Borax as a detoxing and health agent. The Earth Clinic in Bangkok put me on to it. I will let you know the results in afew weeks
Despite what Sempers says according to Wikipedia it is used mainly in Asia countries in the preparation of certain foods, especially Chinese.
I wouldn't eat it but I wouldn't eat chickens feet either. Everyone to their own I suppose. =D> :D

maaka
udonmap.com

Weight Loss, Detox.....

Post by maaka » January 29, 2012, 4:10 am

Yup I did mean Borax.
The white mineral salt once used in washing powders..
yup the Chinese health shop down the road has some in stock, but it was mixed with some other natural chemicals..
I am looking for 100% Borax.

Last 14yrs my one meal a day has been meat and 7 Veg, taken at night...yup it goes against all the rules about having a light meal in the evening, and that your biggest meal should be your breakfast. I started not because I wanted to loose weight, but because I couldnt afford 3 meals a day, and I also had a lifetime medical condition that I was led to believe I could cure, if I fooled my body into thinking it was starving, by using this once a day regime. It worked. I havent had any problems in regard that medical condition since 1996...

when I mean put on weight, heck most of my life I was 6ft and 65kg, now I am 75kg, and the grey hairs are beginning to show..

yes each to his own..what works for one person does not always work for another..

rick
udonmap.com

Weight Loss, Detox.....

Post by rick » January 29, 2012, 1:43 pm

100% Borax is not normally available in Thailand because it is banned. I tried to get some last year and was told due to misuse in food it was no longer on sale to the public (probably following USA lead, it is banned in the USA as a food additive). Borax is a poison but low toxicity - it is used as a preservative (because it is particularly toxic to insects). So if you do get some be very careful with dosage - elimination rate is slow so it will accumulate in the body.

It makes a great poison for ants - that is what i need it for. As for 20 mule team Borax - it is an American product and i doubt you can get it here.

If anyone gets some Borax, let me know.

maaka
udonmap.com

Weight Loss, Detox.....

Post by maaka » January 29, 2012, 2:55 pm

thanks for that Rick, yup I was looking at only 1/4 teaspoon in a litre of water per day maximun..

[b]THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE, SO PLEASE ASK A PHYSICIAN BEFORE TAKING.[/b]

BIGAL
udonmap.com

Weight Loss, Detox.....

Post by BIGAL » January 30, 2012, 7:13 am

Seperfiguy

I was thinking about doing a course in colon hydrotherapy and located one in Bangkok but I have decided to wait as I am a little worried about this treatment with high blood pressure!

Thanks to my good wife, she has come up with an amazing food plan which includes making great fresh fruit drinks for me: carrot and apple juice, grape and celery juice, soy milk honey and strawberries...I am now into my 3rd day and my calves are hurting after the brisk walking and I get very tired during the day! Eating fish and chicken with vegetables and salad! It seem important to eat 3 meals a day with the main meal at noon.

Drinking gallons of water!

The mountain temple retreat sounds good Kjel, where is it?

Will also try to locate the health shop in town! \:D/

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Weight Loss, Detox.....

Post by semperfiguy » January 30, 2012, 8:34 am

BIGAL wrote:Seperfiguy

I was thinking about doing a course in colon hydrotherapy and located one in Bangkok but I have decided to wait as I am a little worried about this treatment with high blood pressure!

Thanks to my good wife, she has come up with an amazing food plan which includes making great fresh fruit drinks for me: carrot and apple juice, grape and celery juice, soy milk honey and strawberries...I am now into my 3rd day and my calves are hurting after the brisk walking and I get very tired during the day! Eating fish and chicken with vegetables and salad! It seem important to eat 3 meals a day with the main meal at noon.

Drinking gallons of water!

The mountain temple retreat sounds good Kjel, where is it?

Will also try to locate the health shop in town! \:D/
BIGAL...I'm proud of you my friend! You're off to a good start. I assume that you are working your way up to that 2 mile brisk walk...little by little. If you haven't exercised in a while it would be tough to start off with that distance from the git go. The soreness will go away after a few days. There's nothing wrong with taking a break once or even twice a week to give your muscles a chance to heal a bit, but just don't let that time off cause you to lose your momentum. The three meals a day is great, and you can even try eating smaller meals with snacks in between. Someone once told me that metabolism can be compared to throwing wood on a burning fire. If you throw in a huge log (a huge meal) it will take a long time to burn. If you throw in smaller pieces (small meals), they burn faster and hotter. Just picture those logs every time you sit down to eat and are thinking of gorging yourself.

Keep up the good work, and thanks for the report.

BIGAL
udonmap.com

Weight Loss, Detox.....

Post by BIGAL » February 1, 2012, 8:54 am

Day 5, ok now I am starting to get into this, the legs are not as sore anymore, but sticking to my 'baby steps' start to this lifestyle change!

Thank you, will have to join you on a walk when I am fitter perhaps after 21 days! :D

Baldwin

Weight Loss, Detox.....

Post by Baldwin » February 15, 2012, 12:50 am

I am looking for advise because I am thinking about doing a course in colon hydrotherapy and located one in Bangkok but I have decided to wait as I am a little worried about this treatment with high blood pressure!

BIGAL
udonmap.com

Weight Loss, Detox.....

Post by BIGAL » February 15, 2012, 6:57 am

I can not assist you with this one as I decided not to go ahead with this and rather do a natural detox with exercise and healthy food!

Albert8100

Weight Loss, Detox.....

Post by Albert8100 » February 8, 2013, 12:50 am

According to recent research, water and green tea is the best way to lose your weight. I took 8 to 12 glasses of water gradually and 2 to 3 times cup of tea in a day. And now i feel much difference in my weight.

SJP17
udonmap.com

Weight Loss, Detox.....

Post by SJP17 » February 8, 2013, 9:56 am

I found that i lost about 9 kg in 4 weeks in Udon from sticking to a Thai food only diet , and i ate well and cant say i ever felt the painful hungry like normal dieting, i just ate when the wife ate and basically the same food as her but a little bigger portions , i also went for a swim every day , and i still had beer , usually the light versions but more often whiskey and soda water with a tiny bit of cola when out , the golden rule though is eat early not late at night !

Return to “Health & Beauty”