Udon Toyota Service Rip off

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
kevh
udonmap.com

Udon Toyota Service Rip off

Post by kevh » May 25, 2008, 10:58 am

A few days ago we took our Toyota Vigo in for a full service.

Firstly the staff were only willing to give an estimate for the work which i found a little strange, but after repeated requests they told me the price of the service before they started. (6800 baht)

So we left the pickup and were told to return before 5.00pm.

About 1 hour later the service staff called and told us the front brake pads were worn and that they needed replacing, at an aditionalcost of 2,800 baht.

We told the guy that we new he was lying as we had had the brakes replaced less than 1 month ago at a different garage.

To which the man said "OH" i'll just check with the garage and hung up,

So having been caught attempting to steal 10 minutes later he phoned back to say that there had been a mistake and the brake pads were new but they were not original Toyota brakepads and we should have them replaced anyway.

So we thought it would be a good idea to speak to the boss and tell him about the attempted scam.

However, when we arrived at Toyota Udon, the manager totally backed his staff saying the guy asked for your permission first and that everything was a simple mistake.

To my mind the whole service staff and management were aware of the deceptions that are carried out to boost the service bills.

In short, i would urge everyone thinking of buying a Toyota or having one serviced at Udon, to think again, these scams appeared to be common place and the manager was not suprised by what had happened.
Regards

Kev Hyde[/b]

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » May 25, 2008, 11:10 am

I have been doing ALL the services on my DMax myself, every 5000 km for the last 90000 km. Absolutely no faith in the Udon Isuzu staff after they completely stuffed up the first service from new. Don't know what they used on the oil and fuel filters but we had to completely destroy them to get em off. Not even a heavy screwdriver pierced thru the oil filter would budge it. We finished using a chain wrench, completely crushing both filters.

Fu#ken useless, under trained mechanics and incompetent supervision. :confused:

Edit: For those who don't know the filters only require to be hand tightened.

ISSAN_NISSAN
udonmap.com
Location: Near the big tree past the light on the left opposite the 7-11

Post by ISSAN_NISSAN » May 25, 2008, 11:39 am

Thank you both for the information

I think we all need to share experiences when it comes to fleecing the farang. Sad it happens in Udon. In Pattaya I can understand it.....doesn't make it right but I understand because there are so many azz holes in that city.

An example of pricing......I own an old Nissan Pick-up. I blew the third U-Joint nearest the rear axle coming home a few weeks ago. I called one of the Thai guys (staff) from my compound who came to my rescue.

First he took me home in his car. He then located a mechanic nearby who brought his tools and a U-joint, replaced the U-Joint.

I told the staff to have the mechanic replace all three U-joints because if one goes bad, the others are doomed.

Being Thai they of course explain after the fact that the other 2 joints were OK and only replaced the one. TiT

Total cost you ask ?????

I would let you all guess but with the rain I am not sure when I can log on again.

200 baht !!! Including the service charge. I gave the staff at my compound 200 baht for taking care of me.

Sounds like some dealers/staff have been trained in Pattaya.
I. N.

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » May 25, 2008, 1:24 pm

"I think we all need to share experiences when it comes to fleecing the farang."

Don't think farangs are special and that they reserve this kind of treatment for farangs. Those who play this kind of game do it with Thais too. They are equal opportunity predators.

This practice is very common in the U.S., and I imagine everywhere people have their cars repaired. Its good to be reminded that these things happen because those smiles tend to lull me into being too trustful at times.

By the way, 6800 Bhat sounds like very expensive service - did they replace a lot of parts for this? I hope it wasn't all oil and labor. As I recall, getting the 10,000 kilometer service for our Honda by the dealer in Nong Khai only cost a little over 1,000 baht.

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » May 25, 2008, 2:50 pm

Over the past two years, I've been very displeased with Toyota Udon as well.

They make simple service a pain in the azz and cock-ups are routine.

I take my truck to Nong Khai now. The last oil/lube/filter took one hour and was smooth sailing.

Udon Toyota will never service my truck again.

canuck-viking
udonmap.com

Post by canuck-viking » May 25, 2008, 4:57 pm

Yes the dealers are equal opportunity predators. They tried the same stunts with the wife and my neighbor. Now we simply go to the repair shop in the Makro compound --used to be Shell and never had a complaint. Friendly service with accurate estimates equals happy customers..

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » May 25, 2008, 5:04 pm

i've had very good service and pricig with udon toyota, even a couple freebies. vois, 1st one 3 yrs plus, usually late for maintance schedule but not by much and pricing for oil changes were good, slowly going up with oil. over 120 kms, never had brakes added and never suggested. advised tires soon, but no sales pitch, did purchase a set elsewhere for just a bit cheaper, just because i got a flat and while there, got it done, goodyear i think. had whole clutch assembly put in, w/throwout, inexpensive, side effect of driving thru deep water, appaarently not a good idea w/vios manual. came out from shopping and cluthch wouldn't engage, towed, serviced and inexpensive, then when checking trunk for used, realized the replaced everything, so very inexpensive. always estimate before and always accurate, along with timing, with few occasion.

only thing i didn't like is they replaced battery,and put old in trunk wo/caps on, and didn't tell me, tankfully trunk had liner and no damage. they seem to do that with every repair, so check trunk before driving off for old parts stored properly. due for oil change, so will see how much next week it think, and finally getting that plasstic/chome wheel cover replaced from m/b accident, 2600 bhat item, discounted 15% plus taxes, insurance covered, but thought that was bit steep for junk plastic, 10,000 for a set of four, and ii scratch them up pretty bad. ree asked what i am going to do when a break a couple, put 2 on one side and leave the other side empty. she thought i was joking, don't think so.

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » May 25, 2008, 5:27 pm

So far (knock on wood), I've only had positive experiences with the Nissan Dealer on Tahan Rd. Don't know if they service other makes?
One thing I have noticed about Nissan, is that the same service manager and service technicians have been working there for the two years I've been using them.

When I was shopping for a new vehicle. I checked with Udon Toyota. I thought they had a cocky attitude. Sort of like: "oh we are Toyota, take it or leave it, we're Toyota".

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » May 25, 2008, 11:09 pm

A good time to post Kev. I was planning on going there tomorrow to look at Vigos. Think I'll give it a miss now.

wizard
udonmap.com

Post by wizard » May 25, 2008, 11:54 pm

Kevh,
What service was it, the 10K, 20K ? or whatever. 6800B seems rather a high price and how old is your vehicle and how many klms on the clock.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » May 26, 2008, 12:04 am

We pay about 5000 for a full service at Nissan.
I think you're being ripped off.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » May 26, 2008, 3:52 am

i don't remember oil changes/filter being even close to that high. even complete change of all filters and fluids, air/fuel/the rest w/oil change nad brake touch ups, little dab here little dab there, all four, never getting close to 5000. need to check records if i have noted for 1st car. 2nd car, the first one oil change on new one, was free, i think, maybe just the labor, will double check, next week will be 2nd on this car. i remember the 1st couple oil changes at toyota, i thought their price for oil was high, labor was alway inexpensive, so i checked in store, lotus, their oil prices, didn't fluctuate enough to notice, about same or cheaper at times. maybe this week i'll do the same, if i get there, think do for 20k, have almost 23 on it.

good, no replies, you all still sleeping, did some searching and found old thread on car cost, at near bottom is my post. 126k kms on 1st car, total maintanence was 24k, that DOES include set of tires from toyota, oops, less than 6000. figure a couple total maintanence, and brake adjustments, but almost all basic oil changes and tire rotations. don't remember anything breakin 1000 baht in the beginning couple years, and dont' remember anything breaking 2000 baht in end of owning car, with a couple exceptions, so if you just average it out, 24000 minus tires, 6000, 18000 divide by 12 oil changes if done every 10k, 1500 per visit, and some were way more than simple oil/filter. far from expensive

udon/nong khai/nong bua lamphu toyota are all owned by same person. lots of famiiar sales and service staff at udon. all positive experiences for myself.

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/v ... 5051#65051

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » May 26, 2008, 6:18 am

Can't speak to the problems with dealers,but in NK there are 2 good spots!

BP garage just past Tesco-Lotus and on the same side of the road,has an excellent head mechanic and I other expats have recommended their body and paint work too!!

The Cockpit for tires and brakes,about 1km past T-L going towards Udon,the owner is fair ,polite,helpful with other info and speaks excellent English!

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » May 26, 2008, 6:25 am

tire place in makro parking lot area and goodyear down the road seem good also.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » May 26, 2008, 6:44 am

That's where we go for tires, brakes & routine maintenance, but they recently changed names (don't know if same ownership/management), but always had good service there. Once they spent an hour looking for a troublesome problem that turned out to be loose coolant hose. They tighten it up and didn't charge us for the labor.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » May 26, 2008, 7:22 am

A number of you guys are talking about replacing disk pads. What sort of mileage do you get on them???

These are mine at 90000 km still 6 mm away from the warning slot end. And the DMax is automatic which is normally heavier on pads.

Image[/img]

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » May 26, 2008, 8:58 am

126,000 on the first toyota vios, never replaced brake pads, prior to trading in. i drive hard. though stating the same to a friend in the states, that i don't seem to replace brakes as much as my peers, he did mention when he followed me home from work at times, he noticed i never/rarely came to complete stop at any stop signs. though here, you have to, of a motorbike will jump on you. so different stopping habits here than in states.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 26, 2008, 11:02 am

Never had any problems with Toyota Udon. Always friendly, helpful, pleasent.
Had 6 regular services and 2 extra (prior to long roadtrips). No regular service cost more than 3 - 4k, and the aditional "checkups" were only a few hundred.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 26, 2008, 12:17 pm

No problems also from Toyota Udon.

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » May 26, 2008, 1:32 pm

Never had any problems with Udon Toyota, Got a Vios, just had the 20,000K service done cost 1200B I had the car just 8 months when i scratched the side, some idiot cut a corner, took it to Udon Toyota to get a estimate and they said wait until you've had the car 11months, as i had to have full insurance when i bought the car new from them, they said they would give it a complete check and do the work on the insurance. A month later the dog jumped up on the bonnet and scratched this. Total work took 3 days and the job was first class.
Cheers Doug.

Return to “Travel & Transport”