What is the best Thai resort if you have children?

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.

Phuket
18%
Koh Chang
23%
Koh Lanta
9%
Koh Samui
18%
Other
32%

Total votes: 22

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » February 21, 2014, 8:17 pm

The Udon Map member "milkman" recently returned from Khao Lak and spoke very highly of the place.
Nice beaches and a relatively quiet nightlife,not overrun with tourists.
Fly from Udon to Phuket then either take a taxi or bus to Khao Lak.
Check out the hotels on tripadvisor.

Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 21, 2014, 8:36 pm

SkyyWalker wrote:We've been to this place before and look forward to returning...just south of Hua Hin.

http://www.dolphinbayresort.com/
New owners a few months ago couldn't even be bothered to hand out torches during 12 hour "blackout" during rainstorms.

Only go here if you have your own transport it's about 25km from the main road (and three 100m flooded sections during the rainy season :lol: )

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » February 21, 2014, 9:24 pm

Thanks for the recommendations guys! :D
UFF DA!

farlong68
udonmap.com

Post by farlong68 » February 21, 2014, 9:41 pm

if quiet is what you are after dolphin bay resort is great nice pools rooms good but not great but dining choices and shopping very limited....20 plus miles to anything but its all in what you want my tw does 3 to 4 days like this then it off to hua hin for shopping and I don't mind hua hin sang thai seafood restaurant very good fresh market downtown one of the best in Thailand...if you don't mind stairs fresh inn is a mid priced small hotel near beach entrance and used to have italitan rest on ground floor hope you find what you are looking for sincerely khun john

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 21, 2014, 11:55 pm

As mentioned in my previous post farlong68, Dolphin Bay has recently changed owners.
We picked the very worst time to be there, rain and very extended power cuts and flooding, but I drove to Tesco on the main road (20 odd km) and purchased torches so at least those in my party had light in their rooms to get dressed/go to the loo etc; which is more than the new owners could do for the other guests [-X
In house food was very good given the fact that they were cooking with no power, and quite reasonably priced, which is just as well as apart from a few other resorts there is next to nothing in the area.
Ideal for a couple of days break with the kids where you want to just "chill out" , do nothing and go nowhere.

karonsteve
udonmap.com

Post by karonsteve » February 28, 2014, 3:01 pm

Jello wrote:
karonsteve wrote:Having lived in Phuket for 8 years and left the place I would avoid it like the plague. Your wife will probably have problems recognizing the "locals" as Thais.
What do you and the children want to do when you get there?

Koh Lipe would be my choice.
Swimming, playing on the beach, activities suitable for a 5 and 8 yo. Someplace by the ocean that isn't overrun with tourists and not overpriced.
I'll do a search on Koh Lipe. Any hotel recommendations?
I have friends down there at the moment who are staying at the Bundhaya Resort using Booking.com

Return to “Travel & Transport”