Cars in Thailand

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
neeemu
udonmap.com

Cars in Thailand

Post by neeemu » July 18, 2007, 3:33 am

Is it just me or are cars in Thailand more expensive than UK? Admittedly I've only looked online at classified ads on various sites but cars I'd expect to see selling for hundreds of pounds are selling for thousands.
I've never looked seriously in Thailand, just window shopped as far as cars go since I'm not there full time yet but I've thought of getting a very cheap run around and kept an eye for that reason.
Anyone recommend any good (prefferably cheap) used car dealers in Udon?
I'd love to find a classic european car such as a Beatle to restore but it would have to be well priced as I want my wife to learn to drive and she's scary enough on a scooter

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » July 18, 2007, 3:53 am

Forget Udon for a cheap second hand car, all the prices at the used car lots are the same, and the dealers will stick to their price, they would rather leave the car on the lot unsold than drop the price. Cars in Thailand are still a luxury item. Try this website and go for a private sale from a ex-pat who has taken care of the car, with a service history.

www.bahtsold.com

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » July 18, 2007, 4:32 am

buy a new truck, with the current exchange rate for the ฃ, the average Toyota Vigo is cheaper in Thailand than it is in UK,that goes for Mazda/Ford and Mitsu too.You can buy a new Truck from as low as around 400.000baht .(not much less for used !!)
i have seen some old mitsubishi Lancers for around 60.000 baht.
and if my memory serves me right Laphanphon sold an old mitsu last year sometime for a reasonable price.
look on baht sold you may find a well used 1991 Toyota corolla or similar around 100.000baht, or a old suzuki carribean for a little more
never seen a cheap run around car in Los to the price you can buy in the UK.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

neeemu
udonmap.com

Post by neeemu » July 18, 2007, 1:22 pm

I'm determined to find one! As I'm in no hurry I reckon I'll get what I'm looking for eventually. Cheapest I've seen so far is 40,000 baht for a car I wouldn't pay half that for! I think that was a Suzuki Carribean like beer monkey said.
Thanks for the help guys

oldfield

Post by oldfield » July 18, 2007, 4:55 pm

Second hand cars are very expensive here in Thailand. Compare them to the UK and you'll be shocked. 1000 quid does not get you much here.

The only good thing about the situation is that they hold their value, so when you come to sell it, you will get a good price for it.

Loaded
udonmap.com

Post by Loaded » July 19, 2007, 1:56 am

Won

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » July 19, 2007, 8:41 am

oldfield wrote:Second hand cars are very expensive here in Thailand. Compare them to the UK and you'll be shocked. 1000 quid does not get you much here.

The only good thing about the situation is that they hold their value, so when you come to sell it, you will get a good price for it.
Spoke to a couple of Thai friends last night,with pickups Isuzu,Chevrolet are tops for holding value,mazda,mitsubishi,nissan lose value more.
With cars Toyota,nissan,honda at the top chevrolet in the middle then mazda,mitsubishi at the lower end.

Depends re above about secondhand cars being very expensive,small money will always get you a secondhand nissan,mitsubishi although no RAC here to check the vehicle for you,some second hand have been driven to their graves!

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » July 19, 2007, 10:04 am

My brother in law has used car shops in Udon and Korat. He sold a car to a friend last year and that friend is still satisfied with the deal.

I bought a couple of cars through him and have no complaints, but again this is Thailand and business practices are different than in Europe and the US. I find that patience is the most necessary thing as action and paperwork take longer.

His prices are comparable with other shops in the area. He sells mostly pickups, but always has a few of the smaller sized cars in stock (Vios, City).

He can also arrange financing, if desired.

His personal advice to me on cars is to buy Honda or Toyota only. On pickups, Isuzu or Toyota. I'd be happy to show you his place.

This is from the US Trade Respresentative's 2007 report on Thai trade practices:
"Excise taxes in Thailand are based on various vehicle characteristics, such as engine size, weight and wheelbase. In July 2004, Thailand revised its excise tax structure, but it remains complex and heavily favors domestically manufactured vehicles. Taxes on passenger vehicles range from 30 percent to 50 percent, while pickup trucks are taxed at a rate of 3 percent. As a result, pickups account for more than 50 percent of total vehicle sales in Thailand."

Consequently, new and used cars are considerably more expensive than in the US or Europe where taxes are not so large. The cost of this tax stays with the car for many years. Personally, I prefer a car to a pickup and am willing to pay the premium. Many others don't wish to and buy pickups.

Hope you find a purchase that is satisfying.

nifty
udonmap.com

Post by nifty » July 19, 2007, 3:09 pm

thanks for posting that info udonexpat,was swondering why trucks where cheaper.

i will be buying in november and will keep you advice in mind as i will be buying a truck. cheers nev

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » July 21, 2007, 9:18 am

Resale prices here in Thailand are both good and bad. Bad because they are VERY expensive. On the other hand, I bought an old pickup, drove it for a year and sold it for the same amount that I paid for it.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » July 21, 2007, 9:52 am

glalt wrote:Resale prices here in Thailand are both good and bad. Bad because they are VERY expensive. On the other hand, I bought an old pickup, drove it for a year and sold it for the same amount that I paid for it.
Did you find it difficult to sell?I see trucks and cars for sale that seem to just sit and sit in the same spot,no buyers!

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » July 21, 2007, 11:16 am

Glalt,can you enlighten us as to what make of car or pickup.I agree withn Stan stacks of pickups and cars lying on forecourts,plenty from customers who failed on repayments through finance companies.

d p meijer
udonmap.com

Post by d p meijer » July 21, 2007, 11:42 pm

can anyone help me . i like to buy a good jeep. no mitsubishy/ suzuki. preference willy,s, wrangler, army or police

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » July 22, 2007, 4:10 pm

d p meijer wrote:can anyone help me . i like to buy a good jeep. no mitsubishy/ suzuki. preference willy,s, wrangler, army or police
Try this link:

http://www.bahtsold.com/searchbykeyword ... words=jeep

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » August 13, 2007, 2:09 pm

BKKSTAN wrote:
glalt wrote:Resale prices here in Thailand are both good and bad. Bad because they are VERY expensive. On the other hand, I bought an old pickup, drove it for a year and sold it for the same amount that I paid for it.
Did you find it difficult to sell?I see trucks and cars for sale that seem to just sit and sit in the same spot,no buyers!
I really don't remember the year but it was at least 15 years old. It was a VERY good looking, low mileage well taken care of black Toyota. It had a gasoline engine and the Thais wouldn't touch it because of that reason. I bought it for 160,000 baht. I really didn't want to sell it but a friend of mine kept after me so I finally sold it to him and bought a new Nissan diesel.

dill
udonmap.com

Post by dill » August 13, 2007, 3:07 pm

nifty wrote:thanks for posting that info udonexpat,was swondering why trucks where cheaper.

i will be buying in november and will keep you advice in mind as i will be buying a truck. cheers nev
nev
its paul from melbourn
try asking doughy(lek car rentals) if he is selling any of his cars.the only down thing is they might have a few klm on them,its worht a go anyhow.

Return to “Travel & Transport”