Big increase in air fares

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
JamesMichael

Big increase in air fares

Post by JamesMichael » March 4, 2024, 9:57 am

I just booked Udon to BKK.Since Thai Smile is now run by Thai Airways the prices have risen, No more senior discount. The regular class has gone up a few hundred but the business class has nearly doubled ,they wanted B 5500. They don't even have a lounge here they just give you a voucher good for a cup of coffee and a donut. So the business class was a no go I just paid a little extra for a heavier bag.

Udon Map
Admin

Re: Big increase in air fares

Post by Udon Map » March 4, 2024, 12:10 pm

JamesMichael wrote:
March 4, 2024, 9:57 am
. . . the business class has nearly doubled ,they wanted B 5500.
It's the same seat, but in the front of the plane. I can't see spending one satang for business class on a 50 minute flight in a 322. OTOH for, say, the 15+ hour flight from Hong Kong to Boston, I'm at the age where economy really isn't an option. If you're creative and are willing to put in the time to learn the intricacies of the relevant frequent flyer programs and fare and currency conversion anomalies, business class on long haul flights can be affordable.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » March 4, 2024, 1:00 pm

I've been keeping an eye on economy flights to the UK. Yesterday I came close to booking a Qatar flight. Today the same flight has increased 7000 baht.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » March 4, 2024, 1:57 pm

The only flight from the Loei airport to Bangkok is to Don Muang. Ten days ago the ticket cost me about 1,000 baht one way. Yesterday the flight from Don Muang to Loei one way cost me about 2,000 baht. I don't understand the huge differences in price. The airline was Air Asia.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » March 4, 2024, 3:10 pm

Galee wrote:
March 4, 2024, 1:00 pm
I've been keeping an eye on economy flights to the UK. Yesterday I came close to booking a Qatar flight. Today the same flight has increased 7000 baht.
glalt wrote:
March 4, 2024, 1:57 pm
The only flight from the Loei airport to Bangkok is to Don Muang. Ten days ago the ticket cost me about 1,000 baht one way. Yesterday the flight from Don Muang to Loei one way cost me about 2,000 baht. I don't understand the huge differences in price. The airline was Air Asia.
The are numerous fare "categories" in each class, each with a pre-determined number of seats allocated to it. For example, I just randomly checked a Qatar flight for tomorrow from Bangkok to Doha. There are 13 different fare categories in economy. The seats are all the same, as is the service. Obviously the cheapest ones sell first. So the longer you wait, the more the ticket is likely to cost.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » March 4, 2024, 3:48 pm

Very recently this month i flew Thai Air BKK to Udon return and used some points which were about to be removed.
It was 17,000 points and still had to fork out 1,600bht. I used the extra points for an up the front seat, because i deserve it, which is these days called Premium Economy not business class. I assume just a ticket name change to suit the seat arrangement already mentioned.
At least Thai Air have introduced points plus cash pay ticket purchases, but only on the international routes and not domestic.
Will use that system of payment for the 2 return tickets in business class when me and the missus fly to Sydney in a couple of months.

JamesMichael

Post by JamesMichael » March 4, 2024, 5:46 pm

Coming from Bangkok to Udon it's not about the seat on the plane it's about sitting in the lounge rather than the hallway for a couple of hours after a 16 hour flight from Canada. From Udon to Bangkok not important .

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 4, 2024, 10:42 pm

JamesMichael wrote:
March 4, 2024, 5:46 pm
Coming from Bangkok to Udon it's not about the seat on the plane it's about sitting in the lounge rather than the hallway for a couple of hours after a 16 hour flight from Canada. From Udon to Bangkok not important .
So, stop in Bangkok?

Not sure where the complaint lies but airlines look after those that frequently travel full-fare and up. If you fly long distance in coach once in a blue moon, there are plenty of non-airline lounges in BKK, both international and domestic, that can accommodate the weary traveler for a couple of hours for about twenty bucks.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 5, 2024, 9:51 am

JamesMichael wrote:
March 4, 2024, 5:46 pm
Wow! Only 16 hours. You must be originating your flight from the West. It usually takes me 21-23 hours from Toronto with a stop in Taiwan or Hong Kong to switch airplanes on the way. I don't mind the economy flight itself as I am usually asleep before the plane takes off. In the days before my wife picked me up at the airport, I would collect my stuff take a taxi to the baw kaw saw nua (northern bus station) and enjoy more sleep on the way to Korat or Khon Kaen).

It is sad that airline ticket prices have risen so much.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » March 5, 2024, 3:05 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
March 5, 2024, 9:51 am
Wow! Only 16 hours. You must be originating your flight from the West. It usually takes me 21-23 hours from Toronto with a stop in Taiwan or Hong Kong to switch airplanes on the way. I don't mind the economy flight itself as I am usually asleep before the plane takes off. In the days before my wife picked me up at the airport, I would collect my stuff take a taxi to the baw kaw saw nua (northern bus station) and enjoy more sleep on the way to Korat or Khon Kaen).

It is sad that airline ticket prices have risen so much.
21-23 hours is not bad to me, as I come from a small airport I have to take what's available for the price. This trip involved two layovers totaling 7 1/2 hours on way to Bangkok. With those two stops total transit time was about 29 hours. Since arrived in Bangkok a little after midnight did the hotel thing then flew on the next noon Thai Air flight to Udon.
Will definitely agree, air prices are getting bad so think will only come every other year.

Ziggy124

Post by Ziggy124 » March 7, 2024, 11:22 am

My wife (a local travel agent) informs me that the high prices both domestic and international are here to stay and may even rise further due to many factors, eg fuel, wages and even airport construction upgrades. She has also noticed through customer feedback that airline booking systems, tour packages and visas have become far more complicated than before. She suggests, if you see a bargain, check it out and grab it as soon as practical. Airfares will mostly continue to rise as the flight date gets closer. She recommends if the booking systems are to complex or problems keep arising, find a reputable travel agent, pay the small service fee and enjoy the stress free booking. Even she has to keep ahead of all the changes happening through travel update courses to provide todays best service.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 7, 2024, 1:11 pm

Sound advice there, Ziggy.

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » March 7, 2024, 1:59 pm

I was recently able to book 3 return tickets Melbourne - Bkk for about 9000b each, on sale, for Oct/Nov this year - Jetstar. Was too good a deal not to snap up. Just seats, we'll have to add some luggage for the Mrs and some entertainment for the young fella and some grub for the old fella, but a good deal. We'll get away with less than $1500AU each all in. As good as pre-covid.
Watch Me!!

ladda3904
udonmap.com

Post by ladda3904 » March 8, 2024, 8:01 am

Bought one ways to BKK for wife and I. Thai airways May 20. 1335 baht each.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 8, 2024, 12:29 pm

Thai only has the 3 daily UTH service and the "mid-day" flight has ALWAYS commanded a higher price, even when it was Thai Smile service.

Currently waiting for push back on the noon service outta BKK. Got to say it's the most old farangs I have seen on a UTH flight in a while so they all must have substantial pensions.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » March 8, 2024, 12:34 pm

ladda3904 wrote:
March 8, 2024, 8:01 am
And It's unbelievable the difference in price of around 4000 bht one way to sit up the front for the same 1-hour trip.

ladda3904
udonmap.com

Post by ladda3904 » March 8, 2024, 2:18 pm

I don't sit in the front. It's an hour or less. Takes me what seems like an hour to get through Nong Bua when school dismisses and I don't even get a bagged snack.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 9, 2024, 1:33 am

Barney wrote:
March 8, 2024, 12:34 pm
ladda3904 wrote:
And It's unbelievable the difference in price of around 4000 bht one way to sit up the front for the same 1-hour trip.
Nobody's being forced to pay for those seats.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » March 9, 2024, 3:10 pm

tamada wrote:
March 9, 2024, 1:33 am
Barney wrote:
ladda3904 wrote:
Anyone who does either has far too much money to burn or (simply) an idiot
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » March 9, 2024, 3:45 pm

joepai wrote:
March 9, 2024, 3:10 pm
tamada wrote:
March 9, 2024, 1:33 am
Barney wrote:
ladda3904 wrote:
Anyone who does either has far too much money to burn or (simply) an idiot
So jopee because my wife booked up front seat on flight to bkk we have money to burn or are you calling her an idiot. She had Thai miles that would have expired so she book seat where no possibly being stuck in the middle. Maybe next time think before posting discouraging remarks.

Return to “Travel & Transport”