Thai High Speed Rail progress

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Re: Thai High Speed Rail progress

Post by FrazeeDK » October 18, 2022, 7:59 pm

one aspect not often discussed is that it appears you can take a high speed train from nearly anywhere in China now right up to the Lao border at Boten... However, there's no provision to allow the Chinese train to travel on into Laos. Passengers must disembark from the Chinese train then go through the border corssing (with baggage) and board the Lao train to go on to Luang Prabang or Vientiane (or parts in between like Vang Vieng). I imagine the same issue will apply at the Thai Lao border with passengers disembarking from the Lao train to board the Thai train to continue onward... You would think it would behoove all countries concerned to attempt to make the travel seamless but unfortunately this isn't the EU. or Schengen area. There's has been futile talk for years about having an ASEAN common tourist visa to allow easy transit between ASEAN countries but its never gone anywhere..

Back to the attraction of Udon for your lower classed Chinese tour groups.. "We went to Thailand!" would be met by bringing the groups here to contracted hotels and having spur tours from Udon to any number of nearby attractions. Temples, caves, parks.. They're all there for a day trip..

Dave

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » November 28, 2022, 1:55 pm

Review ride of High Speed Rail construction from Rangsit Station north of Bangkok to Khorat city https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgC9h_v0WuY&t=2636s The fellow breaks the ride down by the various contracts covering each section. It leaaves out one important segment which is the Khaeng Khoi (near Saraburi) segment that will extend south to Mapthaphut Port which will carry lots of freight.
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 29, 2022, 11:19 am

Just curious: From what I read, there are precious few Chinese tourists coming to Thailand because of Covid restrictions. I'd guess there are few Thais (and other nationalities) going to China because of fear of lockdowns. So, just wondering, what are the passenger numbers on the high speed line from Laos to China/China to Laos like these days.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » November 29, 2022, 12:14 pm

or I'd wager Lao domestic tourism and Thai/other tourists through Thailand going to Vang Vieng, Luang Prabang and Boten.. or so says Xinhua with figures. https://eng.yidaiyilu.gov.cn/qwyw/rdxw/292212.htm
Dave

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » November 29, 2022, 3:34 pm

parrot wrote:
November 29, 2022, 11:19 am
Just curious: From what I read, there are precious few Chinese tourists coming to Thailand because of Covid restrictions. I'd guess there are few Thais (and other nationalities) going to China because of fear of lockdowns. So, just wondering, what are the passenger numbers on the high speed line from Laos to China/China to Laos like these days.

Would suggest this is more for freight than tourists
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » November 30, 2022, 9:19 am

yes, both the Lao-China and the eventual China-Lao-Thai lines will be primarily freight. Rports I've read state about 95% of the traffic in Laos is freight. That's not the news blurb for the Thai one though. It is all about the 250kph 3.5 hours NOng Khai to Bangkok runs.. But, you can bet it'll be primarily freight that will be turning south at Khaeng Kho and going to Mapthaput port near Rayong as well as Laem Chabaeng north of Pattaya..
Dave

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » December 18, 2022, 8:05 pm

update.. Even has English subtitles with some translation weirdness. But, good details. will it happen sooner? We'll see. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYuiif6rs6g
Dave

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » May 9, 2023, 10:23 am

rather lengthy ride along update on the High Speed Rail Construction from Bangkok to Khorat. Many kilometers of elevated rail bridge installed.. Several tunnels are under construction through the hills although she doesn't show those. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqUEw_RltEY
Dave

Return to “Travel & Transport”