Compulsory Insurance

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
Chriss
udonmap.com

Compulsory Insurance

Post by Chriss » September 1, 2022, 5:36 pm

Easy question or two….what or who does the yearly compulsory insurance cover? Don’t care about the baht numbers for claimants just, am I covered under the compulsory insurance to drive someone else’s car or would I still need to be a named driver…

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Compulsory Insurance

Post by tamada » September 1, 2022, 9:20 pm

3. What does the Compulsory Motor Vehicle Insurance cover?

When an accident occurs between vehicles that have the Compulsory Vehicle Insurance and Car Tax certain compensation is available. Firstly, the Police will decide who is to blame (right and wrong). Compensation is available to all people involved in the accident as described in 2) a, b, c & d below.

In the event of immediate and emergency medical treatment a smaller amount of compensation (known as Preliminary Compensation) is available to help pay for that treatment as described in 1) a, b & c below.
The driver who is deemed to be the wrong/guilty party will only receive the Preliminary Compensation whilst all others can receive the larger amounts of compensation.

The Compulsory Motor Vehicle Insurance covers for 2 cases:
1) Damage from a car accident whilst waiting to prove that either party is right or wrong (Preliminary Compensation) (a) In case of bodily injury will be paid according to the actual medical expenses, up to a maximum of 30,000 baht.
(b) In the event of death Loss of organs, permanent disability, will receive an initial compensation of 35,000 baht.
(c) In the event of death after medical treatment or medical expenses will receive as actually paid up to a maximum of 30,000 baht and funeral expenses up to 35,000 baht, the total must not exceed 65,000 baht.

2) Compensation from a car accident, compensation for the right party after proving which party is right or wrong (a) 80,000 Baht per person for bodily injury or injury to health.
(b) 500,000 Baht per person for loss of life or total permanent disability.
(c) 200,000 Baht to 500,000 Baht per person for permanent disability or dismemberment according to a scale of compensation.
(d) 200 Baht per day, not more than 20 days for daily compensation in case of hospitalization as an inpatient.
(e) In the event that a victim is the driver of a vehicle that caused the accident only Preliminary Compensation cover will be available as per 1) above.

Maximum coverage for item (1), (2), (3) and (4) combined shall not exceed 504,000 Baht per person.

https://lambertbrothers.co.th/news3_por_ror_bor.php
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » September 2, 2022, 8:39 am

Thanks for the reply, its not the compensation numbers I'm interested in, just, if I drive someone else's car who has paid for compulsory insurance and registration and I cause an accident does the compulsory insurance come into play, or does it only cover the owner driving.
I've paid for compulsory many years on my car and never have I seen somewhere I can add other drivers.
Background is, I'm looking after a car while a family member is overseas, to keep it in good order I want to drive it locally from time to time. There is no voluntary policy on the car as they will be away for over a year.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 2, 2022, 8:50 am

If it helps, Chriss, I have just received a renewal invitation from Roojai.

The letter includes the terms "Main Driver" - me, and "Driver Plan" - "this policy covers anyone who is driving the insured car".

My memory of previous years (pre-Roojai) is that you can insure the vehicle with either nominated driver (cheaper premium), or any driver (more expensive).

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 2, 2022, 9:09 am

Compulsory insurance in Thailand covers the vehicle it does not cover a person for a particular vehicle.
So all drivers and passengers of the vehicle are covered.

Supplementary insurance can be for a specific driver for a specific vehicle, it can be for all drivers of the vehicle.

The Compulsory insurance is very limited in the amount paid. You can be sure that a foreign driver will be paying more than the amounts covered by Compulsory insurance so they will need Supplementary insurance
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » September 2, 2022, 11:11 am

Thanks again for the replies.

STW I’ve just been told the same by a local cop, that the compulsory insurance is for the vehicle not for the owner or specific drivers. He says I’ll be covered to drive the car but advised I get a specific voluntary policy, I only want to do local runs to keep it road worthy and running.

Thanks again for your replies…

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 2, 2022, 11:50 am

Chriss wrote:
September 2, 2022, 8:39 am
Thanks for the reply, its not the compensation numbers I'm interested in, just, if I drive someone else's car who has paid for compulsory insurance and registration and I cause an accident does the compulsory insurance come into play, or does it only cover the owner driving.
I've paid for compulsory many years on my car and never have I seen somewhere I can add other drivers.
Background is, I'm looking after a car while a family member is overseas, to keep it in good order I want to drive it locally from time to time. There is no voluntary policy on the car as they will be away for over a year.
As my copy paste indicated, "Compensation is available to all people involved in the accident as described in 2) a, b, c & d below."

If you are driving, you are also one of the "all people".
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 2, 2022, 11:56 am

Chriss wrote:
September 2, 2022, 11:11 am

STW I’ve just been told the same by a local cop, that the compulsory insurance is for the vehicle not for the owner or specific drivers. He says I’ll be covered to drive the car but advised I get a specific voluntary policy, I only want to do local runs to keep it road worthy and running.

That is poor logic. 52% of accidents happen within 8km of the home address, 69% within 16km, 77% within 24km
And for serious injury or death it is over 50% within 40km

So the logic of only doing local runs so don’t need anything more than the compulsory insurance is badly wrong. Not to mention that the compulsory insurance only covers people, so be found at fault for bending an expensive vehicle and you pay for all vehicle damages.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 2, 2022, 12:15 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
September 2, 2022, 9:09 am
Compulsory insurance in Thailand covers the vehicle it does not cover a person for a particular vehicle.
So all drivers and passengers of the vehicle are covered.

Supplementary insurance can be for a specific driver for a specific vehicle, it can be for all drivers of the vehicle.

The Compulsory insurance is very limited in the amount paid. You can be sure that a foreign driver will be paying more than the amounts covered by Compulsory insurance so they will need Supplementary insurance
Per my earlier copy/paste, compulsory insurance has two modes of compensation. The preliminary compensation "while waiting to prove" who us at fault is low. However, there's more up for grabs in the second mode which can apply after "proving which party is right or wrong".

Note "e) In the event that a victim is the driver of a vehicle that caused the accident only Preliminary Compensation cover will be available as per 1) above."

That's 30,000 baht regardless of the injury.

The compulsory insurance policy doesn't discriminate between Thai or foreigners.

In Mrs tam's limited experience, Thai claimants go for the first mode and the "quick and easy" payout. When they realize it's heavily capped and is quite limited, they get upset and want more, push the police if already involved or get the police involved if they didn't attend the accident. This is what Mrs tam calls their som nam-nah moment.

As always, in the event of a prang, let the insurance agent do the talking.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » September 3, 2022, 7:03 am

tamada wrote:
September 2, 2022, 11:50 am
Chriss wrote:

As my copy paste indicated, "Compensation is available to all people involved in the accident as described in 2) a, b, c & d below."

Yes I read the All People bit but insurance being the beast it is I wanted to make sure I am actually covered under the compulsory to drive the car. This was prior to learning that compulsory covered the car not specific persons. We all know insurance will find ways and means to not pay out..

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » September 3, 2022, 7:17 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
September 2, 2022, 11:56 am
Chriss wrote:
September 2, 2022, 11:11 am

That is poor logic. 52% of accidents happen within 8km of the home address, 69% within 16km, 77% within 24km
And for serious injury or death it is over 50% within 40km

So the logic of only doing local runs so don’t need anything more than the compulsory insurance is badly wrong. Not to mention that the compulsory insurance only covers people, so be found at fault for bending an expensive vehicle and you pay for all vehicle damages.
Local runs will be home to Lotus, the market, ATM etc, all of which are within 2 or so km's of home. The traffic isn't huge but I would doubt I'd get over 30-40 KPH for the first Km then on the main roads things slow down.. any knocks would be small fender benders.. don't think I'll be causing too much damage.

It's more about being road legal should anything happen, whether I be in the right or wrong...

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 3, 2022, 7:32 am

Chriss wrote:
September 3, 2022, 7:03 am
tamada wrote:
September 2, 2022, 11:50 am
Chriss wrote:

Yes I read the All People bit but insurance being the beast it is I wanted to make sure I am actually covered under the compulsory to drive the car. This was prior to learning that compulsory covered the car not specific persons. We all know insurance will find ways and means to not pay out..
I totally agree with you. The copy/paste was a general overview that SHOULD apply for everyone. If I was facing your situation, I would ask the insurance company that's holding the por ror bor to confirm if their interpretation is any different. Belt & braces.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 3, 2022, 9:58 am

Chriss wrote:
September 3, 2022, 7:17 am
It's more about being road legal should anything happen, whether I be in the right or wrong...
You will be road legal, a very poor idea but completely legal.

Return to “Travel & Transport”