Seat Belt Law coming into effect

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: Seat Belt Law coming into effect

Post by jackspratt » August 16, 2022, 8:23 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
August 16, 2022, 5:58 pm
There is a downside to these Seat Belt laws, imposed on the unwilling drivers and passengers.there are a lot less Organs to transplant or even donate as less people are DYING .
Given your often expressed opinion on the inherent lack of common sense of the Thais, why do you believe for a minute that Thailand would have a functioning organ transplant program?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 16, 2022, 9:20 pm

Functioning organ transplant? I thought they all had to he functioning to be usable, no?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 17, 2022, 7:13 am

jackspratt wrote:
August 16, 2022, 8:23 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
There is a downside to these Seat Belt laws, imposed on the unwilling drivers and passengers.there are a lot less Organs to transplant or even donate as less people are DYING .
Given your often expressed opinion on the inherent lack of common sense of the Thais, why do you believe for a minute that Thailand would have a functioning organ transplant program?
That point was made as a downside to the wearing of seatbelts, NOT if Thailand has a organ Transplant programme Functioning or not. It was a noted problem amongst many European countries including the UK years ago that was why lists for organ transplants kept growing and the option to have it noted on Driving Licences was introduced to remove the close families involvement at the time of death following vehicle accidents.
But of course you knew that, you are as always just trying to be clever.

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » August 17, 2022, 7:41 am

Don't know about Thailand, but in the UK if you don't want your body robbed at death you now have to opt out of the scheme.
I've heard that human remains make good fertilizer.
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 17, 2022, 8:41 am

BillaRickaDickay wrote:
August 17, 2022, 7:41 am
Don't know about Thailand, but in the UK if you don't want your body robbed at death you now have to opt out of the scheme.
Yes I recently found that out a good move to maintain a reasonable flow of acceptable organs for transplant requirements.

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » August 17, 2022, 9:03 am

Khun Paul wrote:
August 17, 2022, 8:41 am
BillaRickaDickay wrote:
August 17, 2022, 7:41 am
Yes I recently found that out a good move to maintain a reasonable flow of acceptable organs for transplant requirements.
Just had a look, it would seem that all religions allow organ transplant, except Johovi's, who require the organ to be drained of blood then it's ok.
Must be a good earner.
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » August 17, 2022, 9:33 am

i pity any poor " barstool " that gets my Liver or Kidneys .....

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 17, 2022, 9:36 am

Khun Paul wrote:
August 17, 2022, 7:13 am
jackspratt wrote:
August 16, 2022, 8:23 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
That point was made as a downside to the wearing of seatbelts, NOT if Thailand has a organ Transplant programme Functioning or not. It was a noted problem amongst many European countries including the UK years ago that was why lists for organ transplants kept growing and the option to have it noted on Driving Licences was introduced to remove the close families involvement at the time of death following vehicle accidents.
But of course you knew that, you are as always just trying to be clever.
Reading a sad story recently about a kid in the UK that received a long-awaited organ transplant and died a few months later from some medical condition that was pre-existing in the transplanted organ. It highlighted an instance of where the pressure to harvest organs quickly for donation overrode the need to wait for an autopsy on the donor's death. This would have ultimately detected the condition and ruled it unacceptable for donation. As a result, the parents of the child who died, who were staunch supporters of organ donation, no longer support it and have personally withdrawn from volunteering for it.

These instances, although tragic and relatively few and far between, should be considered when volunteering to be a donor. The simple check-box on the UK driving license doesn't address concerns that the increasing shortage of donor organs may result in pressured and incorrect decisions being made.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 17, 2022, 9:57 am

You make a good point Tam, however if the continued dearth of Organs available for transplants had continued , greater number of deaths would have occured. Sad though that story is, it is as you say few and far between but that child had a chance, waiting in many cases for an Autopsy will render the Transplanted organ being useless, I feel there is more to that story that has been written or made public.
Being able as a Human being to give someone else a chance of a better life albeit temporarily is surely far better than NO CHANCE at all .
The medical profession is NOT GOD , never claims to be but they try. I did hear and I Am not sure if it is genuine, that those that OPT out of donating they themselves are unable to receive should they require it. In these days of medical advances, denying yourself any chance seems rather idiotic.

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » August 17, 2022, 10:01 am

Lots of dodgy doctors in the UK now, what if your dead but not really dead, at least if your body has not been interfered with you get a second chance of waking up in the Morgue.
And!!!! What about a Brain Transplant some time down the road, could be a living hell.
Oh! But you Opted In.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 17, 2022, 11:39 am

Khun Paul wrote:
August 17, 2022, 9:57 am
You make a good point Tam, however if the continued dearth of Organs available for transplants had continued , greater number of deaths would have occured. Sad though that story is, it is as you say few and far between but that child had a chance, waiting in many cases for an Autopsy will render the Transplanted organ being useless, I feel there is more to that story that has been written or made public.
Being able as a Human being to give someone else a chance of a better life albeit temporarily is surely far better than NO CHANCE at all .
The medical profession is NOT GOD , never claims to be but they try. I did hear and I Am not sure if it is genuine, that those that OPT out of donating they themselves are unable to receive should they require it. In these days of medical advances, denying yourself any chance seems rather idiotic.
Here's a link to the story I referenced. I got it wrong in that the first child died with an undiagnosed liver condition that was only discovered after the recipient of his donated liver almost died from the same disease a few months later.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/0 ... ors-cause/

Admittedly OTC is another rare disease but with the sudden and unexplained death of the donor, one wonders why the NHS was allowed to persist with the opt-in for organ donation? The pressure to maintain stock of viable organs is obvious but there should be some interim checks made. Opt-in is now the default for anyone keeling over in a UK hospital, regardless of having a conscious will to donate and carrying a donor card.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 17, 2022, 11:47 am

BillaRickaDickay wrote:
August 17, 2022, 10:01 am
Lots of dodgy doctors in the UK now, what if your dead but not really dead, at least if your body has not been interfered with you get a second chance of waking up in the Morgue.
And!!!! What about a Brain Transplant some time down the road, could be a living hell.
Oh! But you Opted In.
Here's an article from ITV about the default opt-in law coming into force. It mentions a procedure to opt-out but doesn't give details. With the earlier article I linked to commenting on problems with management with NHS Blood and Transplant, this may be a good time to find out what that opt-out procedure is. Definitely before they start brain harvesting.

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-09-03/org ... -the-facts
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » August 17, 2022, 12:15 pm

I did my Opt Out when it was introduced in 2020.
Online application with a hard copy sent by post.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 75B5BJ9-t8

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 17, 2022, 12:45 pm

BillaRickaDickay wrote:
August 17, 2022, 12:15 pm
I did my Opt Out when it was introduced in 2020.
Online application with a hard copy sent by post.
https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/helpin ... ut-system/
Good stuff, thanks. Looks like one has to register first and then opt-out. Otherwise, if you aren't registered and turn up brainless on the pavement on a Saturday night, they'll nick your brain regardless.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 17, 2022, 1:59 pm

If your Thai driver's license has a red heart cross on the front bottom left, you're an organ donor.
https://www.dlt.go.th/site/phangnga/m-n ... ?_did=6009

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 20, 2022, 1:29 pm

I guess the new law does require "all" passengers to wear seat belts......and as you can imagine, there's been a backlash from those with spacecabs (no rear seat belts) and from those with larger families, especially in Isaan, who depend on the bed of the truck to carry people to funerals, weddings, whatever. The police are now talking about a sub-law that would exempt those cases from the new law.
As with many things in Thailand (good example....the new marijuana law), no one has yet been fined......and I'll guess there will be changes before 5 Sept.
https://thepattayanews.com/2022/08/19/t ... cargo-bed/

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 22, 2022, 6:57 am

This mornings BKK Post

Strict punishment, including a 2,000-baht fine, for passengers sitting in a truck's cabin or its cargo bed without a seat belt will no longer apply when a new law takes effect on Sept 5, the Department...

Please credit and share this article with others using this link:https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... -belt-rule. View our policies at http://goo.gl/9HgTd and http://goo.gl/ou6Ip. © Bangkok Post PCL. All rights reserved.

Return to “Travel & Transport”