US Flights - Recommendations

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
jackspratt
udonmap.com

US Flights - Recommendations

Post by jackspratt » July 19, 2022, 2:46 pm

I am looking at flying to the US in September (Bangkok/New York/San Francisco/Bangkok).

Would welcome any thoughts on who to fly with, and who not to fly with.

My brief research so far has ANA as a big positive, and United as a negative. They seem to code share however.

Thoughts on those, and any others welcomed.

TIA

Udon Map
Admin

Re: US Flights - Recommendations

Post by Udon Map » July 19, 2022, 3:30 pm

jackspratt wrote:
July 19, 2022, 2:46 pm
Depends on your goal and how you want to fly, Jack. Lowest cost? Least elapsed time? Business or economy? (First class has, to a great extent, been phased out.) Are you enrolled in a frequent flyer program? Do you have points or upgrades available?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 19, 2022, 3:52 pm

Udon Map wrote:
July 19, 2022, 3:30 pm
jackspratt wrote:
Depends on your goal and how you want to fly, Jack. Lowest cost? Least elapsed time? Business or economy? (First class has, to a great extent, been phased out.) Are you enrolled in a frequent flyer program? Do you have points or upgrades available?
Thanks Paul

Economy or premium economy, at the lowest cost on a reasonable airline.

I am a KrisFlyer/ Star Alliance member, but used all my points on a flight to Oz a few months ago. Points accumulation would be nice, but not that important.

Time not critical, but have seen plenty of flights at about 24 hours.

Really just looking for recommendations (or warnings) about particular airlines. I am OK to work out the booking details when I have decided on which airline.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » July 19, 2022, 4:05 pm

jackspratt wrote:
July 19, 2022, 3:52 pm
Udon Map wrote:
July 19, 2022, 3:30 pm
jackspratt wrote:
Thanks Paul

Economy or premium economy, at the lowest cost on a reasonable airline.

I am a KrisFlyer/ Star Alliance member, but used all my points on a flight to Oz a few months ago. Points accumulation would be nice, but not that important.

Time not critical, but have seen plenty of flights at about 24 hours.

Really just looking for recommendations (or warnings) about particular airlines. I am OK to work out the booking details when I have decided on which airline.
Can’t go wrong with Singapore, Eva, or Korean. But going into NY I think Singapore is best option. From SF many options.

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » July 19, 2022, 4:06 pm

Qatar Airways is always an option as they fly to both NY and San Fran. Doha airport is also very good.

Due to World Cup in Nov / Dec, flights will be very full and very expensive during this time for all Middle East routes, but assume you'd return way before this.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » July 19, 2022, 4:16 pm

jackspratt wrote:
July 19, 2022, 3:52 pm
I'd go with Qatar, assuming that the costs are reasonably competitive. I fly them a lot between Bangkok and various places in the U.S. and have never had a bad flight. And I totally agree with deankham about Doha airport. If the connection is long (I've had >12 hour connections on occasion) I believe that you can buy your way into QR's Al Mourjan lounge. It's verrry nice and has sleeping areas, too, as well as a wide selection of reasonably good food, drink stations throughout (soft drinks, coffee, tea), and a pretty well-stocked bar. All free, of course.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 19, 2022, 4:20 pm

United all the way. BKK to JFK via Hanida. Newark to SFO. Then SFO to BKK via Narita. United do the long-haul and US domestic sectors and ANA does the regional flights.

I think any reviews of airlines and their service won't be the same post-covid. I think it's suck it and see and be wary that the airport experience may be far worse than any flight.
arbitsept.jpg
Arbitrary dates in September
United came up cheapest, here's the next option.
arbitseptoo.jpg
Qatar avoiding the Pacific
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 19, 2022, 5:04 pm

We flew United to Texas for several years, never had a complaint. But found a better connection through ANA and have been flying them since. United international crews were always okay, but we like ANA crews/service better.

When we were marooned in Texas for 13 months due to covid, health issues, and a snowstorm, ANA at first refunded us fully, then on subsequent reservations/cancellations, allowed us to resked without a problem.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 20, 2022, 10:58 am

Thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions. 👍

I'll now get down to the nitty gritty.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 26, 2022, 10:15 am

Rather than start a new thread (on a different subject), I thought I would continue here.

I do not usually bother about travel insurance, as the bulk of my trips are to Oz. However, the US, with its crazy medical system and costs, is a different kettle of fish.

I have found (through UM) what appears to be a reasonably priced policy with MSIG, for about THB2500. However, the medical coverage is a maximum of THB5 million, or US$ ~135,000.

Is this enough? And if not, what recommendations for a policy with a higher medical coverage.

Thanks

ps ending up booking with JAL. Premium economy for THB64.500.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 27, 2022, 4:11 am

The US has always skewed towards higher insurance premiums to meet higher costs. You may need to consider your own health and the impact of your domestic travel agenda and planned activities on any pre-existing conditions?

I just checked my insurance coverage for working/traveling in the US and it's to maximum $500,000 with all the medical evacuation and/or deceased repatriation add-ons. That's issued through AIG and called Lifeline Plus. This is on an auto-renew and varies with different countries. I'll check later and see what those premiums are.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

yooperfella

Post by yooperfella » July 27, 2022, 7:38 pm

As an American citizen who has flown many, many times to Thailand, I say stay away from US based airlines. Go with an Asian carrier if possible. Emirites was very good for me too. And I hear nothing but positive things about Qatar.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 29, 2022, 10:23 pm

jackspratt wrote:
I am looking at flying to the US in September (Bangkok/New York/San Francisco/Bangkok).

My brief research so far has ANA as a big positive, and United as a negative. They seem to code share however.

Thoughts on those, and any others welcomed.

TIA
My laptop died owing to someone spilling water on the keyboard. Anyway, I hope you take in a ballgame or two when you are in the U.S. I went to the Jays-Cardinals game Wednesday night. I was intrigued by the fact that Toronto had been tearing the cover off the ball lately and are very hot, and I wanted to see how they would fare against the Cardinal's 40-year pitcher, Adam Wainwright. Wainwright threw mostly curves in the 72-76 m.p.h. range, and an occasional fast ball at 83 or 86 mph. He stymied the Jay's hitters in a 6-1 Cardinal win. Their soon to be Hall of Famer, Albert Pujois, sealed the win for St. Louis with a 3-run blast. It was a very interesting game with the 40-year greybeards leading the victory. The Jays had their moments but they just couldn't hit Wainwright or the two relievers who came in throwing 100-102 mph.

Enjoy your time in the U.S.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 30, 2022, 8:27 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
July 29, 2022, 10:23 pm
Anyway, I hope you take in a ballgame or two when you are in the U.S.
That's the plan Uncle - 1 @ Yankees v Rays, 2 @ Fenway v Yankees, 2 @ SFO v Dodgers. :D

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 30, 2022, 7:19 pm

Better avoid NYC for now.

From ABC News:

New York governor declares monkeypox a 'disaster emergency'

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/york-gove ... d=87660203
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 30, 2022, 8:24 pm

6 weeks away.

I'll take my chances, plus stay away from Chelsea and Hell's Kitchen.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 30, 2022, 9:08 pm

jackspratt wrote:
July 30, 2022, 8:27 am
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
Anyway, I hope you take in a ballgame or two when you are in the U.S.
That's the plan Uncle - 1 @ Yankees v Rays, 2 @ Fenway v Yankees, 2 @ SFO v Dodgers. :D
That's an excellent plan. The Rays have been decimated by injuries lately and Baltimore, of all people, might surpass them and the BoSox. Have fun at the ballpark (in particular Fenway) and ask Judge to hit his 62nd when you are in the stands. Toronto scored 28 against Boston about a week ago. Enjoy.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » August 3, 2022, 2:55 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
...I wanted to see how they would fare against the Cardinal's 40-year pitcher, Adam Wainwright. Wainwright threw mostly curves in the 72-76 m.p.h. range, and an occasional fast ball at 83 or 86 mph. He stymied the Jay's hitters in a 6-1 Cardinal win...
On 2 May, 2006, Wainwright struck out Astro Craig Biggio.
On 27 July, 2022, Wainwright struck out Blue Jay Cavan Biggio.

It's not often that a pitcher can hang around long enough to face a MLB player and the player's son while pitching for the same major league team (St. Cardinals).

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » August 4, 2022, 9:17 am

Wow! That's impressive. At age 40, he shutout the Cubbies in his last game Sunday or Monday . Wainwright is a throwback. His fastball is gone and he mostly relies on Uncle Charlie these days. He is a very intelligent pitcher and an interesting man. It will be a sad day for baseball when he retires.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » August 4, 2022, 10:07 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
August 4, 2022, 9:17 am
he mostly relies on Uncle Charlie these days.
Mentally googling this, the only result I get is that I had an Uncle Charlie.

He wasnt very reliable and, rumour had it, had an eye for young girls.

In the absence of the other thread, I need educating. What's a reliable Uncle Charlie to a colonial?

Return to “Travel & Transport”