Summer travel to/from the UK

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
Galee
udonmap.com

Re: Summer travel to/from the UK

Post by Galee » June 26, 2022, 6:54 am

Re Car Hire.
Has anyone tried Turo? Basically it looks like an airbnb system for hiring peoples private cars.

https://turo.com/

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 26, 2022, 7:34 am

Galee wrote:
June 26, 2022, 6:54 am
Re Car Hire.
Has anyone tried Turo? Basically it looks like an airbnb system for hiring peoples private cars.

https://turo.com/
Some interesting variations both in cars and day rate there. Corsa for 30 quid a day, Dacia Duster - 108 quid, Volvo V40 - 40 quid, Merc A class - 85 quid, Beemer 4 - 155 quid and even a Porsche Panamera - 94 quid

Ta
tam
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » June 26, 2022, 11:27 am

^ Manchester Airport 2 weeks end July, no availability.

York, same dates had a 8 year old 3 series that you have to collect and return to Sheffield!!

I like the concept but I'd say its not there yet in terms of newer vehicles, where you actually want them.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » July 2, 2022, 10:14 am

Travelled MAN/AUH/BKK/KKC yesterday. All flights full. Points of interest for other travellers:-

- Queues at check in T2 MAN (09.40 flight) as pre Covid
- Queues at security bad but not as bad as previously. They stretched to the point where boarding passes were checked.
- Flight delay of 2 hours at MAN. They had to deplane a bag and, pilot said no staff available to do it!
- Flight delay of 30 mins at AUH. No reason given
- I was first person off the plane at immigration BKK and zero people there. Flight got in at 08.20.
- Short wait for bags.

The worst experience was at check in for Thai Smile. Got to Zone B 30 mins before check in closed. There were a couple of queues. Being a bit tired from travelling and not too compus mentis, I asked a Smile rep where I should go to check in saying I only had half an hour. She looked a little harrassed so, in her defence, she probably didnt understand fully and waved me into a queue of c100 people.

I waited around 10 mins before I noticed there was only 1 check in desk open! At that point, I asked again and a supervisor came over. I explained the position. Her response was "you fly in 1 hour 20 minutes so, no problem". After waiting 15 mins further with little queue movement and, doing the maths (1 person check in at 2 mins ×100 = 200 mins) I began to worry a little.

Was chatting to a nice Thai man in front of me and he asked if I'd tried the check in machines, which I hadn't noticed. He said he didnt want to use them but other people had left the queue to try them out. I asked him to take care of my bags whilst I investigated. With help from the original Smile lady, I had my boarding pass 2 mins before check in (theoretically??) closed.

As an addendum, I was 0.3 kilos over and, despite the issues, they wanted to charge me. Didnt want to argue so, took a book out of the case. No idea why only 1 check in desk open..... maybe to encourage use of machines.

Due to this and late flight out of MAN it was all rush, rush, rush to get on planes with no time to visit lounges. Worst journey I've had in 20 years.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 2, 2022, 11:23 am

Welcome back.

I used the Thai Smile self check-in kiosks for the first time last Thursday. I didn't have checked bags but the promo video they have on the plane makes it look as easy as the other airports I've used it.

That a BIG winner for me.

They were always a bit anal about bag overages and having to traipse upstairs to pay something like 170 baht is always a PITA.

I checked in around 3 pm for the 6 pm flight and there were no crowds and absolutely nobody using the self-check kiosks. I could have stopped in town longer but the skies were getting dark so I imagined nearer rush hour would have been a bit dodgy. It started raining as I arrived at the airport.

I noticed that the Miracle Lounge that's parallel to moving walkways to A and B gates took Priority Pass so checked it out. They have four brands of cold beer, a proper coffee machine and a decent Thai buffet. Beats the heck out of the alcohol-free Thai lounge with it's Nescafe red cup, chicken puffs and 'cheese' sandwiches.

I noticed that there's a new Coral Lounge at the entrance to the A gates that also takes Priority Pass. I will check them out next time. They also have a lounge in the new bit at Udon International airside departures but it's only convenient for the AirAsia, Nok and Thai Dragon flyers.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 2, 2022, 11:29 am

deankham wrote:
June 26, 2022, 11:27 am
^ Manchester Airport 2 weeks end July, no availability.

York, same dates had a 8 year old 3 series that you have to collect and return to Sheffield!!

I like the concept but I'd say its not there yet in terms of newer vehicles, where you actually want them.
But that's what public transport is for, no? The #24 passes the end of Jubilee Street in Salford where your Porche Panamera awaits at #17b.

You want newer vehicles on-airport? In the future, you will be force-fed an EV from your favorite rental car company so then you need to stop by Lidl and get an extension cord from the bins in the middle aisle (cheaper than B&Q).
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » July 2, 2022, 1:56 pm

tamada wrote:
July 2, 2022, 11:23 am

I noticed that the Miracle Lounge that's parallel to moving walkways to A and B gates took Priority Pass so checked it out. They have four brands of cold beer, a proper coffee machine and a decent Thai buffet. Beats the heck out of the alcohol-free Thai lounge with it's Nescafe red cup, chicken puffs and 'cheese' sandwiches.

I noticed that there's a new Coral Lounge at the entrance to the A gates that also takes Priority Pass. I will check them out next time. They also have a lounge in the new bit at Udon International airside departures but it's only convenient for the AirAsia, Nok and Thai Dragon flyers.
I used a little poetic licence (lied) as I did nip into the Miracle Lounge for 10 mins to use their internet. Grabbed a fried egg, some fried rice and pork along with a latte.

Been in a couple of times before and, always found it a bit basic to be honest.

Just checked my app and it's actually BKK Airways Lounge that I usually use on concourse A. They used to have massage chairs which were always a bonus and the food was great. Not sure about alcohol but they did have milk shakes! Been closed since Covid but, my apps telling me it's open again.

Will have a lounge crawl next time (September) and assess the new Coral Lounge

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 13, 2022, 3:18 pm

Over the weekend Air Lanka had the cheapest one-way LHR to BKK via Colombo but came with a 12 hour stopover.

Just read that the Sri Lankan President has fled to Maldives and the crowds that invaded his residence are now storming the Prime Ministers residence. Their Supreme court has just named the beleaguered PM as acting President.

Try another airline.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » July 14, 2022, 2:06 am

I had a friend who flew with them. The 'plane went u/s in Colombo and he was stuck for three days...nightmare.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » July 14, 2022, 8:42 am

tamada wrote:
July 13, 2022, 3:18 pm
Over the weekend Air Lanka had the cheapest one-way LHR to BKK via Colombo but came with a 12 hour stopover.

Just read that the Sri Lankan President has fled to Maldives and the crowds that invaded his residence are now storming the Prime Ministers residence. Their Supreme court has just named the beleaguered PM as acting President.

Try another airline.
Over the weekend Air Lanka had the cheapest one-way LHR to BKK via Colombo but came with a 12 hour stopover......It hasn't been Air Lanka for about 15 Years now, The Correct name is Sri Lankan Airlines ( Get it Right,Please )

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » July 14, 2022, 8:43 am

Earnest wrote:
July 14, 2022, 2:06 am
I had a friend who flew with them. The 'plane went u/s in Colombo and he was stuck for three days...nightmare.
Steve, I've Flown with UL a number of times BKK-CMB-LHR & I've NEVER Had ANY Problems....

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » July 14, 2022, 10:14 am

Was checking prices for flights this winter. Minimum £900 economy and £2700 business

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » July 14, 2022, 10:39 am

Dont know what dates you were using Samster but flights Direct to LHR from BKK are 792 pounds with Thai Nov 8 to Nov 16

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » July 14, 2022, 11:09 am

I guess it's, where from, what dates, Which Airline etc.
Just looking out of interest.
London Heathrow, Eva Air, Non Stop, Depart Nov 22nd, Return Feb 14th, £620.00, direct with Eva Air, Skyscanner cheaper.
Plenty of cheaper options if you don't mind a stop over.
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » July 14, 2022, 4:31 pm

Doodoo wrote:
July 14, 2022, 10:39 am
Dont know what dates you were using Samster but flights Direct to LHR from BKK are 792 pounds with Thai Nov 8 to Nov 16
November isnt winter :D

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 14, 2022, 5:05 pm

Plugged in some UK dates to fit around my nebulous Fall and Winter work schedule. Not many super bargains for a UK in-out through Oct and Nov: all between 700 and 725 quid r/t either LHR or MAN. However, a 3-week whistle-stop, in and out before Christmas using EVA via LHR is about the same as above and it's non-stop whereas the 1-stops with minimal layovers come in around £1000. All coach fares.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 14, 2022, 5:16 pm

747man wrote:
July 14, 2022, 8:43 am
Earnest wrote:
Steve, I've Flown with UL a number of times BKK-CMB-LHR & I've NEVER Had ANY Problems....
Me too many moons ago in DC-10's but that was without a lengthy stopover.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » July 14, 2022, 5:48 pm

I noticed Heathrow have said they are putting a daily cap on number of passengers they will receive per day. Initially I thought this was crazy, however if it means they are able to achieve some reasonable level of service then maybe it's the best approach.
Heathrow website wrote: We’ve recently experienced a number of challenging conditions at Heathrow that has made it difficult to maintain the quality of service for which we are world-renowned. Therefore, we have made the difficult decision to reduce capacity at the airport with effect from 12 July to 11 September.

  

We sincerely apologise to anyone whose travel plans are affected by this. Our aim is that everyone who travels through Heathrow can be confident they’ll have a safe and smooth journey through the airport and get to their destination with their bags.   

Similar measures to control passenger demand have been implemented at other airports both in the UK and around the world.  
A friend arrived into T4 last week and departed 2 days later (quick family visit). He described it as horrendous. Take nearly 2 hours to receive bags on arrival and 2 hours to go through security on the way out. Also said priority service was not available on departure. He was flying economy but normally gets priority due to level of his airline (Qatar Platinum). No idea if same for those lucky enough to fly business or first.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » July 14, 2022, 6:35 pm

tamada wrote:
July 14, 2022, 5:16 pm
747man wrote:
July 14, 2022, 8:43 am
Earnest wrote:
Me too many moons ago in DC-10's but that was without a lengthy stopover.
They have NEVER Used The DC10,They Did however used to have The Lockheed L-1011 Tri Star Which I Flew on a number of times ...You Must be getting Confused.....( Old Age Maybe ?? ) :lol: :lol: :lol:

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » July 14, 2022, 9:40 pm

deankham wrote:
July 14, 2022, 5:48 pm
Also said priority service was not available on departure. He was flying economy but normally gets priority due to level of his airline (Qatar Platinum). No idea if same for those lucky enough to fly business or first.
No such problems at Manc 2 weeks ago. I took this fairly sketchy shot to send to my kids. Clear fast track lane on the right. Pic not great as I was trying to disguise the fact that I was taking a pic as the queuers clearly resented anyone taking priority. Dont think Stats would approve either :shock: :D

20220714_213434.jpg

Return to “Travel & Transport”